Malkin wanted out if Kessel returned

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Man.. can't help but feel he's a bit of a flight risk after reading that.

After all this time he still doesn't feel at home in Pittsburgh and/or in the US?
He literally said he wants to extend in Pittsburgh for 3 years after his current deal :laugh:

It was an accumulation of things last year. Family not present+on-ice struggles+language/culture+a particluarly gloomy Pittsbugh Winter= tough year for Geno

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Honestly, after reading that Phil Kessel passage, I'm not sure who comes out looking worse... Kessel or Malkin.

I mean, at this point the pattern is clear, Kessel is a bit of a locker-room issue.

But if one of your star centers is basically giving you a 'him or me' ultimatum regarding a star winger.... uh, not a good look.

How about you two millionaires go hit a bar and sort your shit out, and then come back to work?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How about you two millionaires go hit a bar and sort your **** out, and then come back to work?

Sounds like someone who didn't watch Kessel play last year.

The problem here isn't on a personal level between the two, because Malkin and Kessel do get along well. The problem is that Malkin was tired of playing with Kessel and Malkin's wing was the only spot Kessel was going to play here (Crosby won't play with him and Kessel has *****ed about playing on the 3rd line before). There just wasn't a spot here for Kessel anymore, and if the Penguins were going to force Kessel to stay here, Malkin would rather go somewhere else because of the frustration that the Kessel situation brought on him.

I really don't blame Malkin for that at all. He was caught between a pissing contest between a hard headed coach and a stubborn, 1 dimensional player. He was away from both his family and his close friend in Gonchar. His play was subpar and was only made worse by Kessel's uselessness outside of his production. How can you possibly criticize him for blowing up in that kind of scenario?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Sounds like someone who didn't watch Kessel play last year.

The problem here isn't on a personal level between the two, because Malkin and Kessel do get along well. The problem is that Malkin was tired of playing with Kessel and Malkin's wing was the only spot Kessel was going to play here (Crosby won't play with him and Kessel has *****ed about playing on the 3rd line before). There just wasn't a spot here for Kessel anymore, and if the Penguins were going to force Kessel to stay here, Malkin would rather go somewhere else because of the frustration that the Kessel situation brought on him.

I really don't blame Malkin for that at all. He was caught between a pissing contest between a hard headed coach and a stubborn, 1 dimensional player. He was away from both his family and his close friend in Gonchar. His play was subpar and was only made worse by Kessel's uselessness outside of his production. How can you possibly criticize him for blowing up in that kind of scenario?

I did.

I also saw Malkin play last year and wasn't exactly blown away by his effort level either. :/

And based on a passing glance at the Penguins forums, I wasn't alone...

So I'm not exactly sure how this is a case of a guy being weighted down, and not two guys just being unwilling to figure out a way to make it work.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I did.

I also saw Malkin play last year and wasn't exactly blown away by his effort level either. :/

Malkin did have a bad year last year, so you're not wrong with that. However, I really think it's necessary to emphasize how bad Kessel was outside of his production last year. Kessel was a skating abomination when he wasn't putting up points. There wasn't anything that could be worked out there just by talking, because Kessel is who he is. Malkin had a bad year last year, but Kessel being the player he is, plus some other off-ice issues, caused Malkin to basically blow up. I personally think that looks way more bad on Kessel and Sullivan (more on Kessel IMO), because their pissing match nearly caused a superstar to demand a trade.

You're not wrong for saying that Malkin was also bad last year, but I do think you're wrong for thinking this was something that could be worked out. This was basically Malkin breaking down because of a bad season plus getting hammered over and over again with crap.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I will preface this by saying, those who have been here a while know I have been one of the biggest Kessel defenders since his time with the Leafs.

HOWEVER

Is what Malkin said REALLY a surprise? That he is content with 2 cups and just wants to play and pad his stats? That's basically what we have come to know of him as a player.

This exact reason is why I haven't been as bullish on adding him for Arizona. There are no expectations there. No media following him, not a ton of fan pressure. He can skate around for 20 minutes and then go home.

I am not sure if that environment works for Phil. He is someone who has always needed to be pushed, which is why his coaches have a shelf life with him, and so do his teams.

Initially i had these same thoughts but then i remembered Arizona's coach is RT, and that guy knows how to push Phil's buttons better than probably anyone. Add this story to the mix and all the sold tickets after Coyotes announced his signing and there's plenty of spice there to fire his ass.

If he comes in to coast then that would be more than embarrassing.

Reactions: Stubu

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not super surprising if you watched the Penguins at all last year. Something was very clearly off with that group.

Kessell is a good player but just not a good leader, too self centered. Will be interesting to see what kind of role he takes on for the Coyotes, and if Malkin can get through to Galchenyuk in a meaningful way.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He just never plays like he is giving it his all. The same criticisms you can use against kessel and his game can be used with malkin.

Bullshit. They’re the exact opposite. Why do you think Malkin is always injured and Kessel never misses a game? Malkin never shies away, Kessel plays terrified.

The stats Rossi is talking about is probably specifically the Ironman streak, which drew much ire from the organization in 2018.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
It’s pretty well documented (spittin’ chiclets guys talk about it often) that Malkin just shows up and is the best 2 or 3 players on the ice. One story they told was he showed up to camp and his equipment hadn’t arrived yet so he just threw on some random gear and went out and still dummied everyone. I think the perception that he doesn’t give his all stems partly from just being so naturally talented.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Malkin did have a bad year last year, so you're not wrong with that. However, I really think it's necessary to emphasize how bad Kessel was outside of his production last year. Kessel was a skating abomination when he wasn't putting up points. There wasn't anything that could be worked out there just by talking, because Kessel is who he is. Malkin had a bad year last year, but Kessel being the player he is, plus some other off-ice issues, caused Malkin to basically blow up. I personally think that looks way more bad on Kessel and Sullivan (more on Kessel IMO), because their pissing match nearly caused a superstar to demand a trade.

You're not wrong for saying that Malkin was also bad last year, but I do think you're wrong for thinking this was something that could be worked out. This was basically Malkin breaking down because of a bad season plus getting hammered over and over again with crap.

Thanks for the reasoned take, I think I understand the situation better now.

Reactions: Stubu

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Honestly, after reading that Phil Kessel passage, I'm not sure who comes out looking worse... Kessel or Malkin.

I mean, at this point the pattern is clear, Kessel is a bit of a locker-room issue.

But if one of your star centers is basically giving you a 'him or me' ultimatum regarding a star winger.... uh, not a good look.

How about you two millionaires go hit a bar and sort your **** out, and then come back to work?

They didn’t hate each other. They’re friends. The problem is that Kessel sucks to play with if you’re another offensive player, Kessel gets vocally obstinate if he’s on the third line, and he hurts Crosby’s line/Crosby doesn’t prefer to play with him.

Sanchise90

Sep 6, 2019
I don't get why this is weird, it's life. Sometimes there are guys I am best friends with, but I would never work or live with cause they would drive me nuts. Conversely, there are guys I work well with, but I know I would never get along with outside of work. Seems like one of those situations.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

Kessel and his god awful zone entries, on the PP, led to at least 5 short handed goals against.

That was probably the most infuriating thing about Phil Kessel last year. And his seemingly inability to shoot the GD puck in 5 on 5 situations is up there also.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I don't get why this is weird, it's life. Sometimes there are guys I am best friends with, but I would never work or live with cause they would drive me nuts. Conversely, there are guys I work well with, but I know I would never get along with outside of work. Seems like one of those situations.

Yep. For some it is just a hard concept to grasp I guess. I have best friends that will be in my wedding someday that I refused to live with because of various reasons.

It doesn’t mean I don’t still love them and would do anything for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad