Malkin wanted out if Kessel returned

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting. Before the Penguins won back to back cups I always saw Malkin being traded. Doubt it happens now but imagine if Kessel had stayed a Penguin.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
So what's the breakdown on the Kessel/Sullivan fued?

Probably similar to Kessel with every coach he’s had.

Kessel’s play style is one that leads to eventual frustration. Doesn’t matter how much of a “player’s coach” you have.

The big thing with Sullivan seems to be Kessel’s unwillingness to play on a line without Malkin.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Man.. can't help but feel he's a bit of a flight risk after reading that.

After all this time he still doesn't feel at home in Pittsburgh and/or in the US?

Reactions: Sam Spade

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
So Malkin and Kessel were "great friends" but couldn't play another second together because of the coach? Okay.
I don't think it's that simple. When you are a great player you expect a lot from others and if things are going south arguments and fights can happen. I think its malkin expecting more from Phil but it was amplified cause the apparently the coach had issues too.

I'm sure the whole team or atmosphere was muddied. And just made it hard for everyone.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Malkin hasn't been just worrying about his stats the last 10 years? Sure seems that way from a outsiders point of view.
Yeah, especially since the article cites that Malkin had beef with Sullivan because he wouldn't put him on the ice when the opponent had an empty net.. sounds like Geno was upset he wasn't able to pad his stats.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I will preface this by saying, those who have been here a while know I have been one of the biggest Kessel defenders since his time with the Leafs.

HOWEVER

Is what Malkin said REALLY a surprise? That he is content with 2 cups and just wants to play and pad his stats? That's basically what we have come to know of him as a player.

This exact reason is why I haven't been as bullish on adding him for Arizona. There are no expectations there. No media following him, not a ton of fan pressure. He can skate around for 20 minutes and then go home.

I am not sure if that environment works for Phil. He is someone who has always needed to be pushed, which is why his coaches have a shelf life with him, and so do his teams.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
I will preface this by saying, those who have been here a while know I have been one of the biggest Kessel defenders since his time with the Leafs.

HOWEVER

Is what Malkin said REALLY a surprise? That he is content with 2 cups and just wants to play and pad his stats? That's basically what we have come to know of him as a player.

This exact reason is why I haven't been as bullish on adding him for Arizona. There are no expectations there. No media following him, not a ton of fan pressure. He can skate around for 20 minutes and then go home.

I am not sure if that environment works for Phil. He is someone who has always needed to be pushed, which is why his coaches have a shelf life with him, and so do his teams.

Like some people can't fathom the notion that Geno likes Phil on a personal level but recognizes they're not a good fit on the ice for too long if a time.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
He just never plays like he is giving it his all. The same criticisms you can use against kessel and his game can be used with malkin.

Maybe in Regular season, but he gives it his all every playoff game. Him and crosby have dialed back in regular season. But as soon as Playoffs come around Malkin changes his game.

His block shots double, his hits double, and his overall game is much better. He may not give it all every games but he cares a whole lot more about winning than points.

Kessel was different he was more concerned with his Iron man streak than resting an injury. He never blocked shots or hit or did the other things outside of scoring needed to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad