Malkin wanted out if Kessel returned

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Geno comes off like a huge diva. They are pretty much the same player except Kessel didn’t constantly take dumb penalties. But they both are offense first, defense is not their strong suit.

Reactions: EP40

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not really As history has shown us but okay. This thread is proof.

Yes, because the incredible minds of HF is an amazing way to judge players.

Calling Malkin a more talented version of Kessel is just a terrible take, there's no other way to describe it. It's just dumb and shows a fundamental lack of hockey knowledge. They're not even remotely similar players, outside of being line drivers.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Yes, because the incredible minds of HF is an amazing way to judge players.

Calling Malkin a more talented version of Kessel is just a terrible take, there's no other way to describe it. It's just dumb and shows a fundamental lack of hockey knowledge. They're not even remotely similar players, outside of being line drivers.
Follow along. I’m referring to what this thread is about. I’m not talking in hockey terms :facepalm:

He’s a diva like Kessel but just far more talented

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Follow along. I’m referring to what this thread is about. I’m not talking in hockey terms :facepalm:

You literally said "Malkin is just a more talented version of Kessel". Literally in this thread:

This. Malkin is just a more talented version of Kessel.

Even if you're talking about effort, that's also stupid and wrong. It's just a hilariously dumb comment to make, the two players aren't similar at all when it comes to strengths, weaknesses or effort level.

How specifically is he a diva? What has he done over his career that suggests he' a diva?

Malkin does have his problems (inconsistency and hotheadedness are the big 2), but him being a diva isn't a credible criticism of him at all.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Weird take. Can you link to the other examples of Geno having fights with his coach, or demanding new linemates, or any other actions that are diva-esque?

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
So, alot of flak being thrown towards Malkin in this thread, that he's a baby, etc. Yet no one even flinches at that Crosby refuses to play with Kessel on his line? So Crosby can set up such demands, but Malkin can't? Where's the logic behind that? What does it say about Kessel if both Crosby and Malkin refuse to play with him, because both feel he's a burden on their respective line?

And of course Kessel refuses to play on the 3rd line, he would be absolutely useless in such a role - and he knows it.
Good point about Crosby, some others observed that too. The laundry hasn't been aired, and maybe better that way, but it's obvious the two rarely were on the same line.

But I'm not sure about Kessel being useless on a 3rd line. Some Pens fan argued that the Cup success was to some extent due to having three scoring lines -- particularly Kessel on the 3rd line. I haven't checked the line stats but the argument made sense.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I remember when kissile first went to Pittsburgh. It was very early in the season and in an interview Crosby made it quite clear and obvious he did not want to play on the same line.

His comments were along the line of some guys just don't gel together.

member 298589

Kessel just gives like zero f***s. Watch him play, interview, bench demeanor, etc. Even just look at his face. 3 time allstar, 2 time Stanley Cup champion and Olympian, 1 time Pittsburgh Penguin. Zero f***s given.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
You'd think they'd want to keep as much talent as possible. Kessel was the main ingredient added that saw them win twice in a row. Malkin only had the one cup before that. In terms of competing I think it made more sense to compliment the existing group with a big move rather than push him out.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So, alot of flak being thrown towards Malkin in this thread, that he's a baby, etc. Yet no one even flinches at that Crosby refuses to play with Kessel on his line? So Crosby can set up such demands, but Malkin can't? Where's the logic behind that? What does it say about Kessel if both Crosby and Malkin refuse to play with him, because both feel he's a burden on their respective line?

And of course Kessel refuses to play on the 3rd line, he would be absolutely useless in such a role - and he knows it.

hbk-line.jpg

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Kessel is a savant. He looks lost and doesn't seem to understand anything but he produces. Just haters bein' haters.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You'd think they'd want to keep as much talent as possible. Kessel was the main ingredient added that saw them win twice in a row. Malkin only had the one cup before that. In terms of competing I think it made more sense to compliment the existing group with a big move rather than push him out.

Sullivan meant way more to that group than Kessel. Kessel from 2016 also was no longer an option because he was not willing to play third line offensive driver.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Always hated Malkin(mostly from boarding Willie Mitchell and running away like a little bitch). This doesn't help.

Last edited:
Reactions: PM

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I think it's one of those where you like the guy but recognize your own faults in the other dude and thus don't like his play.. I'd say Malkin probably shoulda kept his yap shut, but I also understand the sentiment. I just think it's too much of the same thing, Malkin is better, he doesn't want a guy with a similar play style damaging his own game.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Sounds like someone who didn't watch Kessel play last year.

The problem here isn't on a personal level between the two, because Malkin and Kessel do get along well. The problem is that Malkin was tired of playing with Kessel and Malkin's wing was the only spot Kessel was going to play here (Crosby won't play with him and Kessel has *****ed about playing on the 3rd line before). There just wasn't a spot here for Kessel anymore, and if the Penguins were going to force Kessel to stay here, Malkin would rather go somewhere else because of the frustration that the Kessel situation brought on him.

I really don't blame Malkin for that at all. He was caught between a pissing contest between a hard headed coach and a stubborn, 1 dimensional player. He was away from both his family and his close friend in Gonchar. His play was subpar and was only made worse by Kessel's uselessness outside of his production. How can you possibly criticize him for blowing up in that kind of scenario?

So both Sid and Malkin didn’t want Kessel on their respective wings? What’s Sid’s rationale? Hmm...

I think Kessel will do fine in AZ. He needs a creative playmaker; Keller fits the bill.

Reactions: KIRK

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I'm glad this article is out. Probably pretty therapeutic for Malkin. Hopefully we will see an energized Malkin, maybe even an Angry Geno, which freaking rocks!

I don't know. To me he sounded like a whiney baby that's blaming someone else and random **** for his sub par play last year.
And, what kind of "good friend" says he quits if his "good friend" comes back next year. I can do without a good friend like that.
I know all Malkin fans will disagree, and not being a Pens fan I have no great interest how it turns out. It's just the vibe he gives off to me from the article. Could just be a cultural difference thing, too.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
I don't know. To me he sounded like a whiney baby that's blaming someone else and random **** for his sub par play last year.
And, what kind of "good friend" says he quits if his "good friend" comes back next year. I can do without a good friend like that.

Being that Geno didn't say he'll quit if Phil came back...

His whole point is that, at this stage in the game, his goal is winning another championship, and that he and Phil don't compliment each other stylistically in a way that helps that.

Again, nobody on the Pens has really taken more wear and tear than Geno the past few years, and considering he's also the oldest player on the roster at this point, pinning him to a winger that doesn't do any dirty work at any zone of the ice isn't a recipe for success.

End of the day, his whole point is not wanting trapped in a situation that isn't going to work, and if Phil was going to stay, they couldn't stay on the same line for too long.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So in a world where Russians are perceived as not caring enough about the cup, people get mad because a Russian cares enough about winning a cup that they are frustrated with a teammate who doesn't care enough?

I don't see the controversy. These are human beings, after all. Not everyone wants to play with everyone for a variety of reasons.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Sounds like someone who didn't watch Kessel play last year.

The problem here isn't on a personal level between the two, because Malkin and Kessel do get along well. The problem is that Malkin was tired of playing with Kessel and Malkin's wing was the only spot Kessel was going to play here (Crosby won't play with him and Kessel has *****ed about playing on the 3rd line before). There just wasn't a spot here for Kessel anymore, and if the Penguins were going to force Kessel to stay here, Malkin would rather go somewhere else because of the frustration that the Kessel situation brought on him.

I really don't blame Malkin for that at all. He was caught between a pissing contest between a hard headed coach and a stubborn, 1 dimensional player. He was away from both his family and his close friend in Gonchar. His play was subpar and was only made worse by Kessel's uselessness outside of his production. How can you possibly criticize him for blowing up in that kind of scenario?

... Which sounds exactly like something you could sit down and sort out.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013

Is it weird to know so little and post it so proudly and publicly? You do know there are websites that track line deployment to the second that show you are completely and utter one million percent full of shit and have no clue how lines are set up in pitts.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
... Which sounds exactly like something you could sit down and sort out.
you really think no one tried to sit down with Kessel and say "stop turning the puck over. stop doing stupid shit. stop making terrible decisions with the puck. give some semblance of a f*** on defence"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad