Malkin wanted out if Kessel returned

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
you really think no one tried to sit down with Kessel and say "stop turning the puck over. stop doing stupid ****. stop making terrible decisions with the puck. give some semblance of a **** on defence"?
Nope. Went straight to Rossi and bitched to fill an article.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I wonder what Malkin would have brought in a trade? He's one of the best players in the league, but he's 33yrs old, is likely to miss 10+ games per season, and has a cap hit of 9.500 for 3 more years.

I assume Galchenyuk + Malkin was a better duo than whatever Malkin would have returned + Kessel.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
So both Sid and Malkin didn’t want Kessel on their respective wings? What’s Sid’s rationale? Hmm...

I think Kessel will do fine in AZ. He needs a creative playmaker; Keller fits the bill.

I think I disagree with this, Kessel seems to do best when he is THE guy on his line. As long as someone gets him the puck, it doesn't matter whether he is a good playmaker or a guy who is physical and gets him the puck that way.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So both Sid and Malkin didn’t want Kessel on their respective wings? What’s Sid’s rationale? Hmm...

I think Kessel will do fine in AZ. He needs a creative playmaker; Keller fits the bill.

Kessel seems more like the type that needs the puck on his stick all the time. If anything, he needs a center who is defensively responsible and can get him the puck in flight through the neutral zone, and another winger who will drive the net and do the heavy lifting along the boards.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Geno comes off like a huge diva. They are pretty much the same player except Kessel didn’t constantly take dumb penalties. But they both are offense first, defense is not their strong suit.

Yes because Kessel is one of the more physical centres in the NHL.

Oh wait.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Kessel was asked today about the report during the Coyotes media day.

Word is on social media that Rossi has clarified what he wrote in The Athletic article in that Malkin never corroborated those rumors about his so called demands.

So it’s all boiled down to being another third party “he said, she said” issue.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kessel was asked today about the report during the Coyotes media day.

Word is on social media that Rossi has clarified what he wrote in The Athletic article in that Malkin never corroborated those rumors about his so called demands.

So it’s all boiled down to being another third party “he said, she said” issue.

Or in the case of Rob Rossi, interpreting things in a way he wants to and running with it.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Or in the case of Rob Rossi, interpreting things in a way he wants to and running with it.

When I read the article I didn’t see Malkin confirming any of those comments directly. But the way it was written it certainly implied it. So I can see how people would interpret it as such.

That would be on Rossi though. Even if it wasn’t intentional.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
The him or me ultimatum is a bitch move under just about any circumstance, particularly when you know it isn't going to be "me" (and especially when you get paid millions of dollars).

Geno comes off looking like a spoiled brat.

Last edited by a moderator:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Kessel seems more like the type that needs the puck on his stick all the time. If anything, he needs a center who is defensively responsible and can get him the puck in flight through the neutral zone, and another winger who will drive the net and do the heavy lifting along the boards.

He likes to be the primary puck carrier, but I think that undermines his effectiveness. He then forces plays, is predictable, and sulks. Keller can take some of that off of him by default. If Kessel is the line driver, I think he gets stifled and frustrated.

Kessel was the 3rd wheel in Pittsburgh; I suspect he didn’t like that, and it showed in his on and off ice behavior.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The him or me ultimatum is a ***** move under just about any circumstance, particularly when you know it isn't going to be "me" (and especially when you get paid millions of dollars).

Geno comes off looking like a spoiled brat.

None of this is confirmed as true, calling him a spoiled brat is a little much.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Malkin commented “love you” on Kessel’s Instagram post where he said goodbye to Pittsburgh.

I think this whole speculation of beef between them is just that... speculation.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017

Yeah, he's the type of player who just need his linemates to pick up the garbage around him. He doesn't need any one to set him up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad