Value of: Make Your Proposal for Sean Monahan

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Reinhart and Ristolainen

for

Monahan and Hanifin
That's a good deal for the Sabres. I'd consider that deal. But I'd want something in addition of good value. A couple of 2nd round picks. We would be giving up the better players, but getting better roster fits back.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Would never happen, but:

Monahan & Tkachuk
for
Tavares & Nylander

Gaudreau - Tavares - Lindholm
Mangiapane - Backlund - Nylander

Tkachuk - Matthews - Hyman
Mikheyev - Monahan - Marner

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Would never happen, but:

Monahan & Tkachuk
for
Tavares & Nylander

You guys would need to retain massively to make that work cap wise. Also we're giving up the best and 3rd best pieces in that deal and the younger pieces. It's a bad deal for the Flames.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Would never happen, but:

Monahan & Tkachuk
for
Tavares & Nylander

You are right, will never happen.

Tavares has nmc, and nobody can afford his salary anyway.... leafs are stuck with him

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
No byron is not, not in this market. He is 31 and injury prone. Getting worse every year for 3 yrs now. I would argue his value is no better than Josh leivo at this point.

Also, a UFA is a UFA, you can't assume extension
You can have confidence that they'll extend yes, it happens all the time.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Just for fun (and as a neutral fan)

:flyers
Sean Monahan (C) $6.375M, 3yrs

:flames
Morgan Frost (C) $863K, 2yrs
Shayne Gostisbehere (D) $4.5M, 3yrs
Scott Laughton (C/LW) $2.3M, 1yr
PHI 2021 first round pick

Both fanbases probably hate it ~ Philly fans say "I'd pay that price for Gaudreau, not Monahan" while Flames fans probably don't like the salary filler (Ghost in particular is a controversial trade piece) and might not be sold on Frost as the centerpiece

Me, I don't think it's awful... but yea, I don't think it really works. That's what happens when you take 5mins to throw **** at a wall and see what sticks :sarcasm:

Anyway, I guess my roundabout point would be Calgary would probably want either an upgrade (unlikely), or failing that, a young C with upside in return (and even then, some Flame fans would probably push back on that notion)

That's one hell of a trade for sure.

Suzuki and Frost are comparable (at the time, Suzuki's stock has risen since.
Ghost is worth more than Tatar was
First is bigger than a second

This is better value than the Patches trade

This trade is amazing value. I feel Calgary should run away with this and use this to build their future.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

This trade is amazing value. I feel Calgary should run away with this and use this to build their future.

You're comparing a Winger to a C? I guess the goal platues would be about the same of that trade though

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Calgary is in a tough spot rn. They’re basically in the Minnesota Wild zone. A bubble team that’s missing key pieces to become a contender, but not bad enough to get those pieces through the draft. They need a legit #1c and those are basically impossible to find unless you’re drafting in the top 5, maybe top 10. Knee-o is getting older so they’re gonna need a #1d as well, Valimaki seems to be a solid prospect but he’s been ravaged by injuries so let’s see what happens there. He might not have that upside at all which is very likely.

The best decision for Calgary would’ve been to tank it out for around 3-4 years and draft well, securing the pieces you need, and building a team around Tkachuk. But, signing Markstrom shows they want to win with what they have and I don’t think that’s possible.

tanking eh? :huh:

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

Probably is, yes

To be the devil's advocate, Monahan is a C, which theoretically makes him the more valuable piece than Patches

But certainly I'd expect Flyers fans to balk at that price if I were to create a proposal thread. They don't desperately need a guy like Monahan either

Someone like, say, Florida might have the more pressing need for a C, but they might not have assets that really move the needle

Kinda moot imo as it seems Calgary wants to make a go of it with what they have (which is fair)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad