Value of: Make Your Proposal for Sean Monahan

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
100% agree, we’re very fortunate as Oilers fans to have the centre depth we have through drafting. Stars have to align absolutely perfectly for a Thornton type trade to happen.
Oilers have their center depth through lottery picks. Not hard to draft McDavid and RNH when they were projected to go first overall. :laugh: And the last time a 1st line centerman was traded was Tyler Seguin.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
First Gaudreau was being fan shopped.

Now Monahan.

I sincerely doubt either is actually available, even in the minds of most Flames fans, but what's the deal? Salary concerns? Culture change? Rookies forcing their way up the line up? Did one or both of them make an out of context, loosely interpreted comment about being mildly dissatisfied with the teams performance?
In an interview yesterday on the radio, Brad Treliving mentioned that there's been A LOT of talk internally about using Lindholm as a centerman. I take that as management arguing whether they believe that Lindholm > Monahan. That would then make Monahan expendable.

Now if that's not the case and they like idea of lining up Lindholm-Monahan-Backlund-Ryan/Bennett as your top 4 centerman. Then that means that Sam Bennett is either pushed to wing or plays 4th line minutes and based on his performance in the playoffs this past summer, he's not going back to 10 minutes a night.

So that's where all the talk is coming from. I'm personally not interested in playing Backlund 14 minutes a night, so to me, if that means Monahan playing 14 minutes a night instead, that makes no sense. So, trading him for a top line right winger is probably the way to go.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
In an interview yesterday on the radio, Brad Treliving mentioned that there's been A LOT of talk internally about using Lindholm as a centerman. I take that as management arguing whether they believe that Lindholm > Monahan. That would then make Monahan expendable.

Now if that's not the case and they like idea of lining up Lindholm-Monahan-Backlund-Ryan/Bennett as your top 4 centerman. Then that means that Sam Bennett is either pushed to wing or plays 4th line minutes and based on his performance in the playoffs this past summer, he's not going back to 10 minutes a night.

So that's where all the talk is coming from. I'm personally not interested in playing Backlund 14 minutes a night, so to me, if that means Monahan playing 14 minutes a night instead, that makes no sense. So, trading him for a top line right winger is probably the way to go.
Or you know playing him on the wing.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Oilers have their center depth through lottery picks. Not hard to draft McDavid and RNH when they were projected to go first overall. :laugh: And the last time a 1st line centerman was traded was Tyler Seguin.

Ryan Johansen - perceived 1c . Same as Duchene. At the time of trades they were 1c or thought to be and have shown not really to be . Or borderline 1c .
Seguin is the opposite. He turned into a 1c but at the time of the trade , wasnt a clear cut 1c on his team .

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

While your premise is right I think, I just don't see the top line RWer who is available and in the right age range.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If you’re going off topic, the Jets traded Winnipeg for Arizona once. I’m sure you would know that.
Huh? Makes lots of sense... Might want to check the posters history before you try to flame them with the wrong team.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Palmieri plus
One of Boqvist , McLeod , Zacha
Pick - 2021 2nd (Islanders )

For
Monahan plus cap dump (not Lucic)

Palms is three years older and an upcoming UFA so I can’t see the flames doing this unless a pretty big ad is included.
Assuming that Lindholm is moved to C and Flames need a top line RW.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Scintillating observation mate.
4EB03B92-74FA-4CBE-BB8D-5D5AB4F5CBFA.gif

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Monahan for Eichel would be sweet! Flames will even throw in Giordano to sweeten the pot.

Not sure if this is a serious post.

Palmieri plus
One of Boqvist , McLeod , Zacha
Pick - 2021 2nd (Islanders )

For
Monahan plus cap dump (not Lucic)

Palms is three years older and an upcoming UFA so I can’t see the flames doing this unless a pretty big ad is included.
Assuming that Lindholm is moved to C and Flames need a top line RW.

No thanks, Devils prefer to re-sign Palmieri and keep all those other assets.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
First Gaudreau was being fan shopped.

Now Monahan.

I sincerely doubt either is actually available, even in the minds of most Flames fans, but what's the deal? Salary concerns? Culture change? Rookies forcing their way up the line up? Did one or both of them make an out of context, loosely interpreted comment about being mildly dissatisfied with the teams performance?

Because when your team isn’t good enough people tend to scapegoat the best players. Like, there just isn’t enough talent in Calgary imo. Sean is a lower-tier 1C and Gaudreau is a mercurial skill guy- there’s nothing wrong with them, the problem is that those are their 2 best players. Another star player or a really strong roster and they’d be fine, but instead- people wanna move their “meh” 1C thinking that’ll somehow improve things, and that makes no f***ing sense. No one is giving you their 1C for Monahan, and if you trade for another position then you have a bigger hole than you started with.

idk, maybe it’s just the polite way of saying “REBUILD”. That’s the only way shopping best players makes sense.

Reactions: Cogburn

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Monahan really isn't a need for Philly but it would be crazy to have Coots/Hayes/Monahan down the middle.

To Philly:
Monahan
JG

To Calgary:
Voracek
Gostisbehere
Frost (potential future 1C replacement)
1st
Jesus this is pretty bad for the Flames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad