Value of: Make Your Proposal for Sean Monahan

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Oilers fan here. I think the Flames should actually hold on to Monahan. I understand he’s had a bit of an underwhelming stretch, but you’re at risk of throwing out the baby with the bath water. At best, you’re selling low due to recency bias and cap constraints. He is a very good, not great, center with good size and a reasonable contract. Those guys are extremely hard to find and so it’s going to be really difficult to win a trade involving him. You pretty much have to get back a Center. The only deal that would make sense is getting a blue chip C prospect plus an asset or two, and that is extremely risky. Pick the wrong prospect and you’re absolutely dead and buried. I’d trade Gio or Gaudreau before Monahan.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
First Gaudreau was being fan shopped.

Now Monahan.

I sincerely doubt either is actually available, even in the minds of most Flames fans, but what's the deal? Salary concerns? Culture change? Rookies forcing their way up the line up? Did one or both of them make an out of context, loosely interpreted comment about being mildly dissatisfied with the teams performance?

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

Now Monahan.

I sincerely doubt either is actually available, even in the minds of most Flames fans, but what's the deal? Salary concerns? Culture change? Rookies forcing their way up the line up? Did one or both of them make an out of context, loosely interpreted comment about being mildly dissatisfied with the teams performance?
Essentially: Flames have struggles in the playoffs and people are convinced he isn't a real 1C (he's a low-end 1C, so ideally a 2C on a championship team) and since he hasn't been scoring, and he and Gaudreau have especially been struggling in the recent playoff losses, fans want to see them gone. Couple that with a combined down year between them and a theory that Gaudreau is the sole reason for Monahan's production, people want to jump off the Monahan train and make Lindholm (Or for the crazies, Bennett) the full time number 1 centre, while getting back premium assets for Monahan.

I dont like the idea of trading Monahan but that's what I've seen on why he's being fan shopped.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cogburn

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Now Monahan.

I would be fine moving both of them for fair value. Just the wrong year for it. I'd just roll with what we have now unless someone wants to make a change that makes sense.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Essentially: Flames have struggles in the playoffs and people are convinced he isn't a real 1C (he's a low-end 1C, so ideally a 2C on a championship team) and since he hasn't been scoring, and he and Gaudreau have especially been struggling in the recent playoff losses, fans want to see them gone. Couple that with a combined down year between them and a theory that Gaudreau is the sole reason for Monahan's production, people want to jump off the Monahan train and make Lindholm (Or for the crazies, Bennett) the full time number 1 centre, while getting back premium assets for Monahan.

I dont like the idea of trading Monahan but that's what I've seen on why he's being fan shopped.

Well I'd like to pretend I have no experience with that in our fanbase (I'm a Canucks homer for those of you that have a negative reaction you can't place), but that I get.

As an outsider I can try to refute their claims, based on my limited exposure, but if their like our guys, they've made up their minds and nothing, not even a season scoring 150 points each, will fix that.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I would be fine moving both of them for fair value. Just the wrong year for it. I'd just roll with what we have now unless someone wants to make a change that makes sense.

Totally reasonable. I'm happy making an offer of primarily (even our best) futures and cap dumps, but something tells me with the off season additions, that's not what Flames fans are looking for.

Dubcity

Feb 4, 2018
This team needs a shake up, I would be into a Monahan for Laine swap as a basis. I am a firm believer Lindholm can pay the center role.

Tkachuk-Lindolm-Laine
Gaudreau-Backlund- Levio
Mangiapaine- Bennett- Dube
Lucic- Ryan- Nordstrom/Simon

I could see Monahan and Elhers connecting quite often.

Can add peices from both sides, play around so cap works.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Now Monahan.

They haven't been Lanny, Iginla, Gary Roberts, Fleury or Gilmour in the playoffs yet as of age 26 so they're soft floaters that'll never amount to anything.

Reactions: Cogburn and Mazatt

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
They haven't been Lanny, Iginla, Gary Roberts, Fleury or Gilmour in the playoffs yet as of age 26 so they're soft floaters that'll never amount to anything.
Like Ovechkin was in the playoffs before he wasn't? I'm not saying you're wrong. You're definitely correct in your assessment. My question though is can they get there? Lanny's career playoff resume is honestly just as brutal as Gaudreau or Monahan to this point. He scored a big goal once in his playoff career and it came as a part-time in and out of the lineup player in his final season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Seems that CAL only want to trade him for another, better C. Who is going to do that? Monahan and some prospect or 3rd liner is not going to convince a team to trade their no doubt, #1C.

Reactions: RCAFguytip24112

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Seems that CAL only want to trade him for another, better C. Who is going to do that? Monahan and some prospect or 3rd liner is not going to convince a team to trade their no doubt, #1C.
Probably depends on the prospect. Thornton was traded for a center that wasn't as good as Monahan. All they added was a 4th liner and a middle pairing young defenseman. That said, I'd trade him for a similar right shot RWer too and move Lindholm over.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
What? Why? Trading Monahan and not packaging on other assets to upgrade to a better 1C is stupid. The team doesn't have any replacements for him and they just spent a lot in FA to signify they aren't planning on rebuilding either. There is no legitimate return out there for him since no one is going to offer a better 1C and he can't be replaced internally. Every single offer here is going to be horrible.
No one is going to trade a 1c for a player who should be a great 2c + extras. 1c’s are very hard to come by.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The Oilers traded a 1LW for a 4D. I'm sure you would know that.
How about you try staying on topic? You know it, I know it and many people who pays attention to the flames including the person I quoted knows that Monahan is not a true 1c. RNH went through the same thing.

You want to talk about the Hall trade, bring the convo to the Oilers board we can chat about it there.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
How about you try staying on topic? You know it, I know it and many people who pays attention to the flames including the person I quoted knows that Monahan is not a true 1c. RNH went through the same thing.
I agree with your point that he is better suited as a #2 center. I disagree that he can't be moved for a better player. It happens all the time. As an Oilers fan you should know that better than anyone. You guys have traded a lot of good players for worse ones.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I agree with your point that he is better suited as a #2 center. I disagree that he can't be moved for a better player. It happens all the time.
I personally don’t think a team would be into downgrading their 1c for Monahan and extras. When was the last time a 1c was traded, Ryan O’Rielly, Zibanejad? Prime Thornton? Good luck. Almost all 1c’s come from drafting them and I can’t see the flames pulling off a Dim Jim Benning heist.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
No one is going to trade a 1c for a player who should be a great 2c + extras. 1c’s are very hard to come by.
Last time this happened was in 2005(?) when the Sharks got Joe Thornton for Brad Stuart, Wayne Primeau and Marco Strum. Before that, was it the Gretzky to L.A. trade? Trading for a 1c is incredibly rare.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I personally don’t think a team would be into downgrading their 1c for Monahan and extras. When was the last time a 1c was traded, Ryan O’Rielly, Zibanejad? Prime Thornton? Good luck. Almost all 1c’s come from drafting them and I can’t see the flames pulling off a Dim Jim Benning heist.
The first 2 names you listed were players under valued by their current organizations. That's what you're looking for. An example could be RNH. I think he is undervalued by his current organization and being used incorrectly. That's what you're looking for.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Last time this happened was in 2005(?) when the Sharks got Joe Thornton for Brad Stuart, Wayne Primeau and Marco Strum. Before that, was it the Gretzky to L.A. trade? Trading for a 1c is incredibly rare.
100% agree, we’re very fortunate as Oilers fans to have the centre depth we have through drafting. Stars have to align absolutely perfectly for a Thornton type trade to happen.
The first 2 names you listed were players under valued by their current organizations. That's what you're looking for. An example could be RNH. I think he is undervalued by his current organization and being used incorrectly. That's what you're looking for.
Nice bait mate.
70D931E3-3A70-46B6-9431-E4CC9B4853D6.gif

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Monahan really isn't a need for Philly but it would be crazy to have Coots/Hayes/Monahan down the middle.

To Philly:
Monahan
JG

To Calgary:
Voracek
Gostisbehere
Frost (potential future 1C replacement)
1st

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Monahan really isn't a need for Philly but it would be crazy to have Coots/Hayes/Monahan down the middle.

To Philly:
Monahan
JG

To Calgary:
Voracek
Gostisbehere
Frost (potential future 1C replacement)
1st
That's painfully bad. Frost will never be a 1C. Even a 2C might be a stretch. Then we take on a couple of bad contracts for a guy who would be our 6th defenseman and a guy who is still pretty good, but aging and overpaid. I'd want Koneckny, Provorov or Couturier in a deal for those 2 players and you'd be adding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad