Value of: Make Your Proposal for Sean Monahan

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Starting in 2 yrs
Gsugreaux
monahan
Lindholm

Once you get to under 2 yrs the return shifts to more picks and prospects vs hockey trades. Whrn it come to prospects you will not get recent top 12 picks unless you have idiot gms. The return is a late 1st 20+, and 1-2 non top 5 prospects. You coukd make a player trade with similar contract length.

So a superstar star W wont get a top 10 pick? A double 30 goal scorer and 5 time 20+ goal scorer wouldn't get a 12 pick/young prospect? Come on they're both worth their contracts, Lindholm is a very valuable 2 way player who can play C as well, looked decent as C of Chucky and Mang.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d be willing to move Monahan for an upper tier RW prospect like Batherson.

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Obviously I don’t know as much about their prospects as Flames fans do so I could easily be wrong on Valimaki. But, I think my point still stands. The top end talent needed to win a cup, isn’t there.
St. Louis didn't have a lot of top end talent. They won a cup. The Oilers have top end talent and are even further from a cup than the Flames.

Our roster isn't great, but it's not Wild level lack of talent. It's more a question of how do you change the mix. Really the only perfect team in the league is Tampa. Even rosters like Vegas and Colorado have holes.

The Flames would need to catch a ton of breaks to win, but it has happened before. I'd argue that if we could move Monahan for either a better center or a high end right shot winger we would be a top 10 roster.

Reactions: Why2Jay

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Starting in 2 yrs
Gsugreaux
monahan
Lindholm

Once you get to under 2 yrs the return shifts to more picks and prospects vs hockey trades. Whrn it come to prospects you will not get recent top 12 picks unless you have idiot gms. The return is a late 1st 20+, and 1-2 non top 5 prospects. You coukd make a player trade with similar contract length.
Huh? Gaudreau and Gio expire in 2 years. Monahan and Lindholm have 3 and 4 years left respectively.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Just because a player plays on your first line as a C on your team doesn’t necessarily = 1C talent .
I know that’s a little harsh but I’m trying to think how I’d rate Monahan in a depth chart of C amounts the league. off the top of my head I can only think of a handful .Or teams that dont have as good of a “1C “
Wild
Knights
Preds (maybe)
?

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Just for fun (and as a neutral fan)

:flyers
Sean Monahan (C) $6.375M, 3yrs

:flames
Morgan Frost (C) $863K, 2yrs
Shayne Gostisbehere (D) $4.5M, 3yrs
Scott Laughton (C/LW) $2.3M, 1yr
PHI 2021 first round pick

Both fanbases probably hate it ~ Philly fans say "I'd pay that price for Gaudreau, not Monahan" while Flames fans probably don't like the salary filler (Ghost in particular is a controversial trade piece) and might not be sold on Frost as the centerpiece

Me, I don't think it's awful... but yea, I don't think it really works. That's what happens when you take 5mins to throw **** at a wall and see what sticks :sarcasm:

Anyway, I guess my roundabout point would be Calgary would probably want either an upgrade (unlikely), or failing that, a young C with upside in return (and even then, some Flame fans would probably push back on that notion)

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
The minute I see a realistic proposal for Sean Monahan that makes the team better now, I will get on board with it. There is no realistic trade that has been proposed on this site, or any other site for that matter, that makes the Flames a better team. Sure you can say Pick X plus Prospect Y and Z is fair value, but it has to make the team, which is trying to get over the first-round hump- better now for it to make sense.

For the sake of not being a negative whiner who doesnt offer ideas, I will take a crack at a somewhat realistic trade that makes the team better now.

To CGY:
Mark Scheifele & Giovanni Vallati

To WPG:
Sean Monahan & Juuso Valimaki

Monahan PPG: 0.81 ppg over 541 games - 26 yrs old - 6th overall - 6.3 million a year for 3 more years
Scheifle PPG: 0.85 ppg over 519 games - 27 yrs old - 7th overall - 6.1 million a year for 4 more years

Why it could make sense: The flames have a log jam on the left side, atleast until Gio declines/retires. The cost controlled aspect for a top 4 D in Valimaki is great for a Jets team looking to keep their cap flexibility. The flames upgrade the center position with a bigger stronger version of Monahan in Scheifele, who is a right shot in a sea of lefties in CGY. Plays with more of an edge and it more of a treliving type.

Valimaki is the flames top prospect and will be very hard to trade, but Scheifele..

To jets fans coming at me saying Valimaki isnt enough to bridge the gap between the two players -look into the guy, and /or come back in two years and tell me what you think.
This is a fair proposal.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not into guys, so pretty sure no marriage proposal from me!

giphy.gif

Reactions: missionAvs

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
He averaged like 10 seconds more ice than Backlund did last season. So he's currently a 1C only by the strictest legal definition.

I don't think the Flames are in any rush to trade him, while he's not the big do it all elite 20+minute C Flames fans want him to be he's still a very productive young player on a very reasonable contract. I'd be open to the right deal but for myself anyway I would want some significant futures or players still on ELCs rather than another expensive roster player.

Think any of Ottawa, NYR, Buffalo, Anaheim, or Detroit would have the assets to trade for him and would be interested in jumpstarting their rebuilds. Ottawa especially could use a C in his age range with his ability, and he played his junior hockey there.

Ducks shouldn't be trading for Monahan

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You know there’s a thing called extension yes? And Byron is well worth every penny.

No byron is not, not in this market. He is 31 and injury prone. Getting worse every year for 3 yrs now. I would argue his value is no better than Josh leivo at this point.

Also, a UFA is a UFA, you can't assume extension

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
If you trade Monahan our Center depth is gutted from the top, regardless of what Bennett apologists would like you to believe.

The only realistic option is if some team like a Vegas to example, decided they wanted Monahan and offered up a potential 1C like Glass. Again, just an example.

No one is going to offer the Flames a better C than Monahan because the C’s better than him don’t get moved.

If you trade Monahan for a prospect winger or something, you might as well trade Gaudreau, and Giordano. Because your team is going to suck anyway.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If you trade Monahan our Center depth is gutted from the top, regardless of what Bennett apologists would like you to believe.

The only realistic option is if some team like a Vegas to example, decided they wanted Monahan and offered up a potential 1C like Glass. Again, just an example.

No one is going to offer the Flames a better C than Monahan because the C’s better than him don’t get moved.

If you trade Monahan for a prospect winger or something, you might as well trade Gaudreau, and Giordano. Because your team is going to suck anyway.

I tend to agree, if the Flames deal Monahan they've kind of set themselves up to do a rebuild, and then they might as well do it right, not prolong it for a decade like my Oilers.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I tend to agree, if the Flames deal Monahan they've kind of set themselves up to do a rebuild, and then they might as well do it right, not prolong it for a decade like my Oilers.
I don't think we would miss Monahan as much as a lot of other people think we would depending on return.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Whatever internal feelings Flames mgmt may have about Mony, they are in no position to trade him and be competitive. A like C isn’t coming back, half the league is still looking for that elusive 2+ C.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Whatever internal feelings Flames mgmt may have about Mony, they are in no position to trade him and be competitive. A like C isn’t coming back, half the league is still looking for that elusive 2+ C.
If we shifted Lindholm to center I'd say we've upgraded the position. We'd need a top line RW on a similar contract back to make a deal work. Running a Lindholm. Backlund, Bennett, Ryan center ice is still a deep group, although there still isn't a true top line guy there.

Reactions: Why2Jay

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

So? .you suck keeping him

Johnny and Monahan combo doesn't work...do something

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
If we shifted Lindholm to center I'd say we've upgraded the position. We'd need a top line RW on a similar contract back to make a deal work. Running a Lindholm. Backlund, Bennett, Ryan center ice is still a deep group, although there still isn't a true top line guy there.

Reinhart and Ristolainen

for

Monahan and Hanifin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad