Value of: Make Your Proposal for Sean Monahan

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
A lot of the Flame's centre problems would have been solved if that Kadri trade went through last year. Monahan Kadri Backlund is pretty nice depth down the middle,even though not incredibly high end it would still be very solid.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I would for sure do Monahan and Hanifin for an upgrade at C, but what players realistically fit that bill and make sense going forward? Maybe Mark Scheifele or Logan Couture, but their teams aren't lining up to trade them. Even Couture has seen better days though.

Ledge And Dairy

Calgary is in a tough spot rn. They’re basically in the Minnesota Wild zone. A bubble team that’s missing key pieces to become a contender, but not bad enough to get those pieces through the draft. They need a legit #1c and those are basically impossible to find unless you’re drafting in the top 5, maybe top 10. Knee-o is getting older so they’re gonna need a #1d as well, Valimaki seems to be a solid prospect but he’s been ravaged by injuries so let’s see what happens there. He might not have that upside at all which is very likely.

The best decision for Calgary would’ve been to tank it out for around 3-4 years and draft well, securing the pieces you need, and building a team around Tkachuk. But, signing Markstrom shows they want to win with what they have and I don’t think that’s possible.
Damn this is a back handed comment. Like there are some things here that are accurate but a lot of it is greatly overblown. Flames are in a much better state than Minnesota since they don't have 33M of their cap locked up on 30+ players with long term NMC'. They also have a majority of their core age 27 and under. Sure neither team has a franchise 1C but Minny doesn't have a center as good as Monahan or Backlund (hopefully Rossi pans out in a couple years). Valimaki is currently considered the best player in the entire Liiga league right now, saying he "very likely" doesn't have that upside is just wrong and his upside is probably not that far off of what people thought Quinn Hughes had going into the 19/20 season (mind you Hughes far exceeded what was expected of him by most so no I am not comparing him to Calder Hughes but the year prior).

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Damn this is a back handed comment. Like there are some things here that are accurate but a lot of it is greatly overblown. Flames are in a much better state than Minnesota since they don't have 33M of their cap locked up on 30+ players with long term NMC'. They also have a majority of their core age 27 and under. Sure neither team has a franchise 1C but Minny doesn't have a center as good as Monahan or Backlund (hopefully Rossi pans out in a couple years). Valimaki is currently considered the best player in the entire Liiga league right now, saying he "very likely" doesn't have that upside is just wrong and his upside is probably not that far off of what people thought Quinn Hughes had going into the 19/20 season (mind you Hughes far exceeded what was expected of him by most so no I am not comparing him to Calder Hughes but the year prior).
Obviously I don’t know as much about their prospects as Flames fans do so I could easily be wrong on Valimaki. But, I think my point still stands. The top end talent needed to win a cup, isn’t there.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
A lot of the Flame's centre problems would have been solved if that Kadri trade went through last year. Monahan Kadri Backlund is pretty nice depth down the middle,even though not incredibly high end it would still be very solid.

Bennett - Backlund - Ryan is perfectly adequate down the middle.

The issue was, is, and will always be Monahan, and your proposed lineup still has Monahan.

Ledge And Dairy

Obviously I don’t know as much about their prospects as Flames fans do so I could easily be wrong on Valimaki. But, I think my point still stands. The top end talent needed to win a cup, isn’t there.
Flames played nearly the entire series against the runner ups of these playoffs without Tkachuk and were 10 seconds away from being up 3-1 in the series. Sure you can argue well Tampa dominated Dallas (which isn't wrong) but Tampa's roster is dynasty level good, Like Chicago's and Pittsburgh's in the early 2010's. By your logic Vegas doesn't have the top end talent to win the cup either since they also don't have a legitimate 1C and are carried by their wingers.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Calgary is in a tough spot rn. They’re basically in the Minnesota Wild zone. A bubble team that’s missing key pieces to become a contender, but not bad enough to get those pieces through the draft. They need a legit #1c and those are basically impossible to find unless you’re drafting in the top 5, maybe top 10. Knee-o is getting older so they’re gonna need a #1d as well, Valimaki seems to be a solid prospect but he’s been ravaged by injuries so let’s see what happens there. He might not have that upside at all which is very likely.

The best decision for Calgary would’ve been to tank it out for around 3-4 years and draft well, securing the pieces you need, and building a team around Tkachuk. But, signing Markstrom shows they want to win with what they have and I don’t think that’s possible.

My own independent two cents....

With youth Minnesota is better off. They drafted higher. Rossi should be a top 2 center, they have other young depth players too. Calhary because of trades have some voids because of trading high picks.

Minnesota does have an older skewed Defense that they havent addressed as much in the draft with some high picks.

Calgary has a much better younger D-core at NHL level.

For Calagary given the fact in 2 years many fo their top forwards hit UFA they may need to look to move them for picks and near ready prospects. Butt if they do trade some of these players off they might just need a short tanke to get a couple top 10 picks then be competitibe again without having to wait for Dmen because they have a younger group.

The move of players may have to wait till next off season and the year after when more cap space is there.

Minnesota might be able to try and compete for 2-3 years before they go full rebuild by having Suter and Pairse retire and have a few other players hit free agency.

Minnesota has 6 of 13 F are UFA in 21 or 22. these players dont have much trade value where Calgary F have more trade value where they could get 1st+ decent prospects. Minnesota trades would return middle round picks.

Unless you pick in the top 12 , its very very rare you can get a top Center outside of that.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Ledge And Dairy

My own independent two cents....

With youth Minnesota is better off. They drafted higher. Rossi should be a top 2 center, they have other young depth players too. Calhary because of trades have some voids because of trading high picks.

Minnesota does have an older skewed Defense that they havent addressed as much in the draft with some high picks.

Calgary has a much better younger D-core at NHL level.

For Calagary given the fact in 2 years many fo their top forwards hit UFA they may need to look to move them for picks and near ready prospects. Butt if they do trade some of these players off they might just need a short tanke to get a couple top 10 picks then be competitibe again without having to wait for Dmen because they have a younger group.

The move of players may have to wait till next off season and the year after when more cap space is there.

Minnesota might be able to try and compete for 2-3 years before they go full rebuild by having Suter and Pairse retire and have a few other players hit free agency.

Minnesota has 6 of 13 F are UFA in 21 or 22. these players dont have much trade value where Calgary F have more trade value where they could get 1st+ decent prospects. Minnesota trades would return middle round picks.

Unless you pick in the top 12 , its very very rare you can get a top Center outside of that.
Besides Gaudreau who are the other top forwards hitting unrestricted free agency in 2 years?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Flames played nearly the entire series against the runner ups of these playoffs without Tkachuk and were 10 seconds away from being up 3-1 in the series. Sure you can argue well Tampa dominated Dallas (which isn't wrong) but Tampa's roster is dynasty level good, Like Chicago's and Pittsburgh's in the early 2010's. By your logic Vegas doesn't have the top end talent to win the cup either since they also don't have a legitimate 1C and are carried by their wingers.
Vegas has Theodore/Pietro on the backend, imo the superior goaltending, a top 5 rw in the league, and probably the best depth of any team besides Tampa. Not to mention Cody Glass is a great prospect that holds 1C potential, they’re a far shot from the Flames.

Stone and Pietro would be the two best players on the team in Calgary.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Ledge And Dairy

Vegas has Theodore/Pietro on the backend, imo the superior goaltending, a top 5 rw in the league, and probably the best depth of any team besides Tampa. Not to mention Cody Glass is a great prospect that holds 1C potential, they’re a far shot from the Flames.
Glass is not top 6 ready and like Valimaki has injury issues, calling one a 1C potential prospect and the other a likely bust is contradictory or bias (since you are an Oilers fan). Theodore is a solid offensive player but he is extremely sheltered with his minutes. Obviously Piet is a good add as he is a Norris contender but Gio won it just 1 year ago. Yes Gio has regressed but with less heavy minutes he should still be one of the best LD in the league. As much as gaining Piet was good, loosing Schmidt hurts them a lot. As for Stone being a top 5 RW, Flames have 2 top 10 LW's that both are arguably top 5. Vegas' goaltending tandem is better but the better starter is a coinflip. I am not saying Calgary is the better team than Vegas but that all your arguments on why Calgary is a bubble team can also be applied to Vegas, yet no one is treating them like that.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Glass is not top 6 ready and like Valimaki has injury issues, calling one a 1C potential prospect and the other a likely bust is contradictory or bias (since you are an Oilers fan). Theodore is a solid offensive player but he is extremely sheltered with his minutes. Obviously Piet is a good add as he is a Norris contender but Gio won it just 1 year ago. Yes Gio has regressed but with less heavy minutes he should still be one of the best LD in the league. As much as gaining Piet was good, loosing Schmidt hurts them a lot. As for Stone being a top 5 RW, Flames have 2 top 10 LW's that both are arguably top 5. Vegas' goaltending tandem is better but the better starter is a coinflip. I am not saying Calgary is the better team than Vegas but that all your arguments on why Calgary is a bubble team can also be applied to Vegas, yet no one is treating them like that.
Again, idk about Glass, I’m just guessing like it is with most of these young guys. It’s a guessing game. Also, I never called Valimaki a bust or likely bust, I just speculated that he likely doesn’t have 1d upside, two very diff things.

I agree with you that Theodore gets overrated, he’s great offensively but isn’t nearly as good on D as everyone seems to think he is.

I don’t agree with the rest, Vegas imo is clearly the best team in the pacific. EDM/VAN/CGY are the next best teams and the ones that will be fighting for 2nd.

Just my viewpoint, yours is different and I respect that.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bennett - Backlund - Ryan is perfectly adequate down the middle.

The issue was, is, and will always be Monahan, and your proposed lineup still has Monahan.

No Bennett is not a 1st line center...he'll fold like a cheap chair with that much pressure

He can barely perform with no pressure now

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
The minute I see a realistic proposal for Sean Monahan that makes the team better now, I will get on board with it. There is no realistic trade that has been proposed on this site, or any other site for that matter, that makes the Flames a better team. Sure you can say Pick X plus Prospect Y and Z is fair value, but it has to make the team, which is trying to get over the first-round hump- better now for it to make sense.

For the sake of not being a negative whiner who doesnt offer ideas, I will take a crack at a somewhat realistic trade that makes the team better now.

To CGY:
Mark Scheifele & Giovanni Vallati

To WPG:
Sean Monahan & Juuso Valimaki

Monahan PPG: 0.81 ppg over 541 games - 26 yrs old - 6th overall - 6.3 million a year for 3 more years
Scheifle PPG: 0.85 ppg over 519 games - 27 yrs old - 7th overall - 6.1 million a year for 4 more years

Why it could make sense: The flames have a log jam on the left side, atleast until Gio declines/retires. The cost controlled aspect for a top 4 D in Valimaki is great for a Jets team looking to keep their cap flexibility. The flames upgrade the center position with a bigger stronger version of Monahan in Scheifele, who is a right shot in a sea of lefties in CGY. Plays with more of an edge and it more of a treliving type.

Valimaki is the flames top prospect and will be very hard to trade, but Scheifele..

To jets fans coming at me saying Valimaki isnt enough to bridge the gap between the two players -look into the guy, and /or come back in two years and tell me what you think.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Besides Gaudreau who are the other top forwards hitting unrestricted free agency in 2 years?

Starting in 2 yrs
Gsugreaux
monahan
Lindholm

Once you get to under 2 yrs the return shifts to more picks and prospects vs hockey trades. Whrn it come to prospects you will not get recent top 12 picks unless you have idiot gms. The return is a late 1st 20+, and 1-2 non top 5 prospects. You coukd make a player trade with similar contract length.

Last edited:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Neutral fan.

Something around Malkin?

I don't know if Malkin would accept it, just any idea.

Not a chance. He’s not interested anymore. Just collecting a cheque

giphy.gif

Ledge And Dairy

Starting in 2 yrs
Gsugreaux
monahan
Lindholm

Once you get to under 2 yrs the return shifts to more picks and prospects vs hockey trades. Whrn it come to prospects you will not get recent top 12 picks unless you have idiot gms. The return is a late 1st 20+, and 1-2 non top 5 prospects. You coukd make a player trade with similar contract length.
Monahan is 3 years away from Free Agency, and Lindholm is 4. Therefore neither are hitting free agency in 2 years as you originally stated

Reactions: Mazatt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->