Value of: Make Your Proposal for Sean Monahan

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This thread seems to be a fantasy hockey type out for blood.

Why must fans always punt their players when they don't achieve a career high every year? Did you actually think that Monahan was going to produce 82 points every year?

Before you trade him, who is going to be his 1C replacement?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
What’s the deal with monahan?? Flames have no Centers and he’s a legit, still young one...

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
As an Oiler fan I think my take on this will be automatically disregarded by Flames fans. However, this is my view on things;

Monahan is basically a better version of RNH. We relied on Nuge to be a 1C right after he was drafted. He wasn't good enough then and isn't a 1C today. RNH is a very good 2c and as it turns out an excellent winger to either McDavid or Draisaitl.. two guys who are actually skilled enough to be top centers.

Monahan has been used by the Flames as their 1C because they didn't have any better options. He's a borderline 1c, and I argue that if Monahan is playing as your #1 center you're not good enough to win anything. It was the same story with RNH.

That being said I think Monahan is part of the solution in Calgary. He is signed long term to a team friendly $6.75 Million dollar deal. He is only one year removed from a 82 point season. He has averaged around 58-64 before that. Having your 2C signed long term to a team friendly deal is a very nice thing to have. In that role Monahan is good for Calgary.

The question remains how does Calgary fill their 1C slot? Top centers are not normally available. You usually have to get lucky and draft one.

This year might be an outlier where the Flames can make a move and get someone who wants out or cannot be retained because of the flat cap. I hope for their sake Monahan isn't part of the package going the other way.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
As an Oiler fan I think my take on this will be automatically disregarded by Flames fans. However, this is my view on things;

Monahan is basically a better version of RNH. We relied on Nuge to be a 1C right after he was drafted. He wasn't good enough then and isn't a 1C today. RNH is a very good 2c and as it turns out an excellent winger to either McDavid or Draisaitl.. two guys who are actually skilled enough to be top centers.

Monahan has been used by the Flames as their 1C because they didn't have any better options. He's a borderline 1c, and I argue that if Monahan is playing as your #1 center you're not good enough to win anything. It was the same story with RNH.

That being said I think Monahan is part of the solution in Calgary. He is signed long term to a team friendly $6.75 Million dollar deal. He is only one year removed from a 82 point season. He has averaged around 58-64 before that. Having your 2C signed long term to a team friendly deal is a very nice thing to have. In that role Monahan is good for Calgary.

The question remains how does Calgary fill their 1C slot? Top centers are not normally available. You usually have to get lucky and draft one.

This year might be an outlier where the Flames can make a move and get someone who wants out or cannot be retained because of the flat cap. I hope for their sake Monahan isn't part of the package going the other way.
I actually think you're being too charitable. If he had some term left I'd trade Monahan in a heartbeat for RNH. Monahan is an excellent faceoff man and really good in the slot. Other than that he doesn't bring a lot to the table. RNH is the far superior 200 foot player and I think drives play better than Monahan. He won't score you 30 like Monahan does, but he's a better player in my opinion. If we moved him for RNH it would be really hard for opposing coaches to get their top lines away from a shutdown center with Backlund, Lindholm and Ryan already here and already top notch 200 foot guys. Add in Bennett being able to move to the middle and that's a tough group of defensive players.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
What? Why? Trading Monahan and not packaging on other assets to upgrade to a better 1C is stupid. The team doesn't have any replacements for him and they just spent a lot in FA to signify they aren't planning on rebuilding either. There is no legitimate return out there for him since no one is going to offer a better 1C and he can't be replaced internally. Every single offer here is going to be horrible.
Why does it HAVE to be a C returning ? Could the Flames move Lindholm to C and add a winger? I view Lindholm as a more effective C than Monahan...

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Why does it HAVE to be a C returning ? Could the Flames move Lindholm to C and add a winger? I view Lindholm as a more effective C than Monahan...
I think yes we could. I'd want that winger to a RHS in a perfect world. Derek Ryan can't be the best RHS forward on the team. It's actually ridiculous that our 4C is our best RHS.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He averaged like 10 seconds more ice than Backlund did last season. So he's currently a 1C only by the strictest legal definition.

I don't think the Flames are in any rush to trade him, while he's not the big do it all elite 20+minute C Flames fans want him to be he's still a very productive young player on a very reasonable contract. I'd be open to the right deal but for myself anyway I would want some significant futures or players still on ELCs rather than another expensive roster player.

Think any of Ottawa, NYR, Buffalo, Anaheim, or Detroit would have the assets to trade for him and would be interested in jumpstarting their rebuilds. Ottawa especially could use a C in his age range with his ability, and he played his junior hockey there.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
I am not a Monahan fan but I do know there's no realistic way the Flames make a trade and come out as a cup contender with the remaining core. We are better off hoping Monahan and Gaudreau can return to 18-19 form while guys like Tkachuk, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett, Andersson, Hanifin, Valimaki, and Kylington continue to progress. That is a lot of young talent.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

You are right...he is 1C, the same way Smith or koskinen is 1G or Klefborn/Nurse as 1D

The flames need a shake up and he is prime candidate along with Johnny to be traded.... nothing else has enough value to make a difference

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You are right...he is 1C, the same way Smith or koskinen is 1G or Klefborn/Nurse as 1D

The flames need a shake up and he is prime candidate along with Johnny to be traded.... nothing else has enough value to make a difference
The semantics people run through on HF with regards to labeling players is hilarious.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Had the Flames opted for a quick retool I think a Monahan to NYR trade would have made a ton of sense for both sides with all the young prospects and roster players the Rangers have. However with them signing Tanev and Markstrom to long-term deals I don't see a way they move him unless it's in a package for an upgrade (and that's probably even harder to navigate because what teams are deep enough to downgrade at C?).

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Calgary is in a tough spot rn. They’re basically in the Minnesota Wild zone. A bubble team that’s missing key pieces to become a contender, but not bad enough to get those pieces through the draft. They need a legit #1c and those are basically impossible to find unless you’re drafting in the top 5, maybe top 10. Knee-o is getting older so they’re gonna need a #1d as well, Valimaki seems to be a solid prospect but he’s been ravaged by injuries so let’s see what happens there. He might not have that upside at all which is very likely.

The best decision for Calgary would’ve been to tank it out for around 3-4 years and draft well, securing the pieces you need, and building a team around Tkachuk. But, signing Markstrom shows they want to win with what they have and I don’t think that’s possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad