Makar vs Hughes

Which prospect would you rather have?

• Total voters

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
The latest Makar vs Hughes poll was closed ‘cause of a lopsided result in favor of Makar. Hughes will get the fans out of their seat, but Makar is better all around.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The -4 isn't on Hughes. Someone else's turnover and then three pucks your goalie should have stopped.

This is the problem with these damned "vs" threads. We have two awesome young players we should all appreciate and instead it's just moronic potshots. Lock this up and discuss the players elsewhere.

The latest Makar vs Hughes poll was closed ‘cause of a lopsided result in favor of Makar. Hughes will get the fans out of their seat, but Makar is better all around.

Makar is more exciting to watch, personally. His acceleration is much quicker than Hughes, and well quicker than almost everybody.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The -4 isn't on Hughes. Someone else's turnover and then three pucks your goalie should have stopped.

This is the problem with these damned "vs" threads. We have two awesome young players we should all appreciate and instead it's just moronic potshots. Lock this up and discuss the players elsewhere.

Makar is more exciting to watch, personally. His acceleration is much quicker than Hughes, and well quicker than almost everybody.

lol on the his acceleration is much quicker comment. That was a good laugh.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
I liked Makar better in last years playoffs. He was sooooooo good then.
This year has been different. I mean He definitely got thrown off on one play this year when Mackinnon banged his stick his a yelled at him for not getting a pass on the PP.
He seem a bit more hesitant after that.

But still I'd probably go with Makar.
But all things being equal I'd compare Makar to Heiskanen form his draft class.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Neither one of them is the sort of defenceman i'd really sell out for full stop...but between the two, i'd probably lean toward Makar. Though i think practically speaking, they fill very similar roles with a lot of very similar traits and talents.

Reactions: Dominance

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Can't go wrong w/ either player.
I do like that Quinn Hughes can play both sides & is a year younger; therefore has 1yr less of development than Cale Makar, yet are pretty equal as prospects.

Reactions: Grantham

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Why are people suggesting Cale Makar is bad defensively?

It's a small sample size but from what I've seen he has really struggled to start this season in his own end, and he didn't exactly shine in the playoffs in the few times he got stuck in the D zone. Great everywhere else, but if he gets stuck in his own end it's not gonna look pretty most of the time unless he can get the puck on his stick. Luckily for a player like him, it's rare he gets caught back there

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's a small sample size but from what I've seen he has really struggled to start this season in his own end, and he didn't exactly shine in the playoffs in the few times he got stuck in the D zone. Great everywhere else, but if he gets stuck in his own end it's not gonna look pretty most of the time unless he can get the puck on his stick. Luckily for a player like him, it's rare he gets caught back there
Strange take. Small sample size but I have a feeling “what you’ve seen” is even smaller than what you’re implying.

Makar’s play in the D zone is quite good. The biggest issue Avs fans have had with him is his play on the offensive line. He has the ability to be phenomenal at walking the line but has failed at it a lot so far this season. He has also been a shin pad crusher and has really struggled to get pucks through.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Hughes looks better and puts up better advanced stats so i take him

but who knows..theyre both so young

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

I think this is a great thing to watch over the season! I hope that there aren't other Calder competitors and these two can go back and forth about it.

They're very close in regards to value/what they can bring to the table. Seeing Hughes exceed expectations to meet the high ones set by Makar's last season is good stuff.

Last edited:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Makar has already shown that he can be a playoff performer so its definitely him and I think he's going to have a bigger advantage in size for playing defense.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Makar is the more well-rounded player. Not a Hughes fan of Hughes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad