Makar vs Hughes

Which prospect would you rather have?

• Total voters

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The fact that people are choosing Makar is insane.

Draft year:

Makar is playing in a tier 3 Junior league

Hughes is playing against men in the NCAA which is loaded with NHL level talent and DOMINATING

Draft +1 year:

Makar is struggling and putting up bustworthy numbers in the NCAA

Hughes is DOMINATING the NCAA scoring at over a PPG

How is this even close?

Well, it was a reasonable and intelligent discussion for a while at least! Good work to everyone else before this lad came along.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Well, it was a reasonable and intelligent discussion for a while at least! Good work to everyone else before this lad came along.

Ad hominem is the last refuge of a man without an argument. Thanks for conceding the point to me.

“B-b-but Makar is an inch taller!”

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ad hominem is the last refuge of a man without an argument. Thanks for conceding the point to me.

“B-b-but Makar is an inch taller!”

God I dont even know why I am wasting my time with this response but here it goes....

For one development isn't linear. It really does not matter one bit where either player played 2 seasons ago. Makar dominated the World Juniors while Hughes was a non-factor. Makar has made considerable progress on his two-way game since going to College and is now one of the best two-way Dmen in the entire league(Oh and lets not forget his 30 points in 25 games either) and will probably win the Hobey Baker this year.

Continue to believe what you want about Hughes. Perhaps eventually you'll come to realize the errors in your opinion(Which is to say it's not an error to prefer Hughes, but to think Hughes is significantly better is ignorance at its best), but I suspect probably not.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The fact that people are choosing Makar is insane.

Draft year:

Makar is playing in a tier 3 Junior league

Hughes is playing against men in the NCAA which is loaded with NHL level talent and DOMINATING

Draft +1 year:

Makar is struggling and putting up bustworthy numbers in the NCAA

Hughes is DOMINATING the NCAA scoring at over a PPG

How is this even close?
His numbers Last season were bustworthy haha? He had similar numbers to Mcavoys first season destroyed his second.

I know you feel the need to protect Hughes but most are saying they are in this thread and tbh its premature asf.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
rather have Elias Pettersson
Bro you passed on Larkin, Ehlers, Pastrnak when you took Virtanen those things happens the difference right now is that Makar isn't close to be labeled as a bust.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Just curious. Is there a chance neither Makar or Hughes doesn't sign with their drafted teams?

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Just curious. Is there a chance neither Makar or Hughes doesn't sign with their drafted teams?
I can’t say for Hughes but we pretty much expect Makar to sign and come when his college will be eliminated kinda like Jost.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Had Hughes at #3 on my final draft board last year. Had Makar at #2 the year before. Those positions remain true and I’d prefer Makar minimally. These are two outstanding young talents.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Very close but for the avs I prefer Makar we need a 2 way point d man more than a potential better version of barrie.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I’m really surprised at how Makar’s viewed by everyone. Granted I haven’t watched him at all but I really thought he was the prototypical high ceiling/high bust type of prospect. I remember people saying his skating is MacKinnon level and that he had the highest ceiling out of the 2017 draft

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
I’m really surprised at how Makar’s viewed by everyone. Granted I haven’t watched him at all but I really thought he was the prototypical high ceiling/high bust type of prospect. I remember people saying his skating is MacKinnon level and that he had the highest ceiling out of the 2017 draft
Yes that was the belief but, it appears he's taken the next step, and shows that his floor is higher than most thought.

Probabaly mainly due to size, and the fact he was in the AJHL. I'd also argue he may be a bit better skater than mack for angles at least.

Last edited:

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
both awesome defense prospects and potential future #1s but i like hughes more

Hmmm...I wonder if Makar was affiliated with any organization other than the Avs it might change your opinion. For the record, I am not questioning the opinion, just your obvious pattern.

You should really try to be more subtle in your approach.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Hmmm...I wonder if Makar was affiliated with any organization other than the Avs it might change your opinion. For the record, I am not questioning the opinion, just your obvious pattern.

Well he is praising Makar though and doesn't call him overrated while bringing some fancy stats. I will take it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We just debated this in the Makar thread on the prospect board, but I give Hughes the slight nod offensively, with makar having a clear advantage defensively. Hughes is sliperier and even more audacious with the puck, but Makar’s power, shot, & two-way game make me favor him.

Can’t go wrong with either, though Makar is the better fit for Colorado.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

I don’t hate the avs and I love Makar as a prospect. I just had Hughes literally 3rd on draft night

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

Also I defend MacKinnon in like every thread he’s in lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad