Makar vs Hughes

Which prospect would you rather have?

• Total voters

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
No, don't believe that.

I think when it's all said and done,

Makar > Pettersson > Heiskanen > Hischier > Patrick.

I think he will be solidly after Makar.

Don't forget transition, which means not having to play in your own end.

That and I doubt we've seen the best of Makar or Hughes' D games yet. That and if Makar is scoring 100+ pts per year (possible in my opinion), that's value that you can't match with any quality of D-play.
This guy doesn't speak for level headed Makar fans.... 100 points.....

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Might be going a bit far there...
IMO ,absolutely not . I do not just look at points when looking at a D man , they come secondary to me . Transistion game , escape ability , decision making , first pass and not sacrificing defense play to try and create offense which is really rare in offensive d men and the list goes on , he is right there with Dalhin .

Reactions: klozge

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't speak for anyone else, of course. But I'm going to be the least shocked poster around if Makar is hitting 100 pts in a year or two.
He's 17 games deep in his NHL career. You're giving Makar fans a bad name, calm down.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
IMO ,absolutely not . I do not just look at points when looking at a D man , they come secondary to me . Transistion game , escape ability , decision making , first pass and not sacrificing defense play to try and create offense which is really rare in offensive d men and the list goes on , he is right there with Dalhin .

I would love nothing more than to be wrong on this, but no matter how much I am enjoying Cale validating the tire pumping I was doing in his draft year....he just hasn't blown my mind the way Rasmus did when I watched the sabres last year. I've only caught 1 full game of theirs so far this year, so I can't comment on how he's adapting to the league's adaptations to him thus far...but watching him in his draft year & as a rookie, has me convinced that he will be even more majestic & smooth when both are done developing, because his skillset & mind are even more extraordinary.

It's part of why I liked the "blueline-MacKinnon" comp so much for Cale. MacK is a dominant player who is justifying all of the caping I did for him at the start of his career, but McDavid -- and McDavid alone -- is on an even higher level than Nate...and when I watch Dahlin he gives me that exact same feelin. I may be a big fan of Makar, Heiskanen & Hughes, but no matter how amazing those three can be, Dahlin just looks to be even more gifted & gives me little doubt that once they've all reached their primes, there should be a clear gap between them...even if it's small like the one between MacK n McDavid...

Reactions: Grantham

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
He's 17 games deep in his NHL career. You're giving Makar fans a bad name, calm down.

It does seem crazy as no dmen have come even close to 100 points in like forever, but I was actually thinking the same thing the other day. If there is any dman that has the potential to put up 100 point seasons it is Cale Makar. His skill set is that elite. If he jumps into the play more and his shot improves and chemistry builds with teammates then absolutely he could do it. I am very confident he can be the top scoring dman in the NHL within a few years.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I'd be lying if I told you otherwise. The best I can do is put a "just my personal view" caveat on it.

My sense of the possibilities is not just from this year's scoring. I've watched Makar since his first game in college. I know his skillset and what he's capable of. He's holding back still, believe it or not. The one thing I've learned this year is that whoever plays behind Mackinnon and Rantanen on the PP is going to pile up a lot of extra points, which any D-man is going to need if they're going to score 100 in this era.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I this is going to make Avs and Canucks game really a must watch for me this season and next. I love both defensemen, and I don't think one is clearly better than the other. They are two of the best offensive dmen to come into the game in a while, and for both to be in the same rookie class is a dream come true!

TheRarestDangles

Oct 1, 2019
Denver, Colorado, USA, Earth
I this is going to make Avs and Canucks game really a must watch for me this season and next. I love both defensemen, and I don't think one is clearly better than the other. They are two of the best offensive dmen to come into the game in a while, and for both to be in the same rookie class is a dream come true!
Makar is better. Quinn Hughes is a measly -2 on the season.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
This guy doesn't speak for level headed Makar fans.... 100 points.....

As a side note, I do believe most of the posters on these boards will see a 100 point defenceman at some point. Scoring has gone up recently, the game is transitioning to skill and speed, and some players have already gotten over 80% of the way there. Makar will likely have the supporting cast to make it happen, and he's got as good a shot as any up-and-coming defenceman.

Reactions: majormajor

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
No, don't believe that.

I think when it's all said and done,

Makar > Pettersson > Heiskanen > Hischier > Patrick.

I think he will be solidly after Makar.

Don't forget transition, which means not having to play in your own end.

That and I doubt we've seen the best of Makar or Hughes' D games yet. That and if Makar is scoring 100+ pts per year (possible in my opinion), that's value that you can't match with any quality of D-play.

Lmao Makar is great but 100 pts? Might want to hit the brakes there a lil bud

Disagree on Makar > Pettersson and Heiskanen too but we shall see

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
I completely disagree. I think you're underselling what he's capable of. He could easily break 105 points if he found his stride--but it might take some time.
Lmao Makar is great but 100 pts? Might want to hit the brakes there a lil bud
Disagree on Makar > Pettersson and Heiskanen too but we shall see
LOL this guy spends hours on this message board bashing Makars peers. The inferiority complex is very sad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad