Makar vs Hughes

Which prospect would you rather have?

• Total voters

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
haven't seen it ill just assume you do but, you love tearing ranty up anytime you can, for what reason if I may ask?
Because hes unsure how to let go of the fact that advanced stats are bible and you cant form opinions based solely around them.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hughes has to make significant improvements to his defensive game if he ever wants to become a #1D. Small, soft and poor defensively is not exactly ideal qualities for a top pairing D. Maybe he does improve a lot or maybe he won't and becomes more of a offense only #3D like Barrie.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
I suspect when he grows up hell start recognizing them more. Tbh I think hes smart but when your young you tend to think you're smarter than you are.
it's how I was that's why I tried telling him but, you could have said the same too me at that age, and I would have been like him.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Hughes has to make significant improvements to his defensive game if he ever wants to become a #1D. Small, soft and poor defensively is not exactly ideal qualities for a top pairing D. Maybe he does improve a lot or maybe he won't and becomes more of a offense only #3D like Barrie.
that's what I see is a more mobile Barrie. With a better potential for the D side but, hard to say if he will reach it look at Girard.

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
Makar has to make significant improvements to his defensive game if he ever wants to become a #1D. Small, soft and poor defensively is not exactly ideal qualities for a top pairing D. Maybe he does improve a lot or maybe he won't and becomes more of a offense only #3D like Barrie.

Reactions: MaKarter

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Makar has to make significant improvements to his defensive game if he ever wants to become a #1D. Small, soft and poor defensively is not exactly ideal qualities for a top pairing D. Maybe he does improve a lot or maybe he won't and becomes more of a offense only #3D like Barrie.

Sure, let's pretend Hughes is as good as Makar defensively or has the same stoutness/power. That sounds like fun. Certainly more fun than countering with an actual argument built around Hughes' superior agility/edge-work and his craftiness with the puck letting him control the action in a different way; like the prospect version of Karlsson v Keith.

...that would've been boring...

Last edited:
Reactions: Lemonlimey

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Have you seen QuHu skate? it's unbelievable how good he can skate
Makar versus Hughes when it comes to skating is interesting because they’re both phenomenal skaters but do it in different ways. Hughes is a lot more “slippery” and fast while Makar is pure power. I think in a race around the rink Hughes would win for sure but blueline to blueline Makar would most likely win with his better acceleration and strength. His skating reminds me of Mackinnons, everyone’s always surprised when Mackinnon sucks at the fastest skater competition since in real life he seems so fast. It’s not his straight line speed that stifles defenceman though, it’s his power, acceleration, and first 3 steps that lets him be one of the best skaters in the world. Makar has that Hall/Mackinnon/Ovechkin/Roenick style of skating that makes it hard to make a direct comparison since there’s so much more to it than just speed.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Lets not play games and pretend they are exactly the same kind of players. If you watch both you should know that Makar is clearly the better all around player.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
True most likely. I don't like any new of this cosri, ect bs. Far to many nuances.
The funny thing is if you look into a lot of the nuances with Rantanen (for example which of his lines drive up his on ice numbers and vice versa) his line combinations away from MacKinnon are consistently pretty garbage. The kid has potential but he’s not as good as his raw points would suggest. A lot of that is also due to secondary assists as well, which provide some statistical noise for him.

As for Makar he’s having an awesome season and I hope he pans out well

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Makar without having to think about it very long. Hughes does a lot of stuff super well but I think will have a tough time translating that to pro hockey.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The funny thing is if you look into a lot of the nuances with Rantanen (for example which of his lines drive up his on ice numbers and vice versa) his line combinations away from MacKinnon are consistently pretty garbage. The kid has potential but he’s not as good as his raw points would suggest. A lot of that is also due to secondary assists as well, which provide some statistical noise for him.

As for Makar he’s having an awesome season and I hope he pans out well

Sample sizes, my dude. Sample sizes.

Reactions: avsfan09

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah but I’d expect at least a couple of those 50-100 minute samples to not get totally run over

Why? Mikko has spent time apart from MacK as an overwhelmed draft+1 before being sent to the AHL, early in his rookie year (on a historically bad team), when we struggle so much that Bednar actually breaks up the top line, and the handful of games MacK missed last season...most of which has happened before Mikko took his latest step. Other than those rare moments this season when Bednar broke them up because of how badly the team was struggling.

Why would you read anything into those samplings?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Sample sizes, my dude. Sample sizes.
Another nuance he misses. That and linemate quality beyond our 1st line. MacKinnon who he loves didnt break out until paired with Rantanen but yet hes completely carried him into scoring more points than himself somehow.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

I guess it's a good thing that his Defensive game is by far the most improved part of his game then huh?

Good lord man, if you ever want to make it 100% obvious that you have never seen a second of Cale Makar in action, just make a post like this. The definition of clueless.

I'll just leave this here for you, does that look like a small, soft Defender to you? If so I've got some bad news about Quinn Hughes for you.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
Another nuance he misses. That and linemate quality beyond our 1st line. MacKinnon who he loves didnt break out until paired with Rantanen but yet hes completely carried him into scoring more points than himself somehow.
I know right. if he can't see the steps mikko has taken since the playoffs last year to the start of this season he don't watch him. plus the sample size is what 8? games without mack and had 5 pts yet?

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Could've sworn you were talking about Hughes here. If this is your opinion of Makar's defensive game I imagine you think Hughes is an ECHL level defender (he sort of is).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->