Makar vs Hughes

Which prospect would you rather have?

• Total voters

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Canucks fan who is really excited to have Quinn hughes, but thinks Makar is going to be a better player.

Both have IT, but makar has more of IT
Yeah, agreed. This is from someone that thinks Hughes absolutely transforms our defense. I just get the 'wow' factor more from Makar. Both are going to be premier, new breed offensive d-men, but I think Makar is going to always be seen as better.

Reactions: Makar27

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I'm a Canucks fan... i'm excited about Hughes but I don't see how you can take him over Makar.

Makar isn't some "safe" prospect with a high floor and low ceiling.

Makar has an extremely high ceiling.

Hughes has a high ceiling also, but Makar has shown more progression towards his than Hughes has.

I remain very concerned about Hughes' defensive game, I do think he can improve but as of right now he is not a solid defender by any means.

Makar is not amazing defensively but he at this point is better than Hughes by a decent amount.

I think you take Makar here, which is fine for me as a Canucks fan as we had no opportunity to select him in the draft. We got a guy right after him in Pettersson who has tons of promise so you can't be too mad, and then we got Hughes the year after who has almost as high of a ceiling.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Quinn has looked better at both ends of the rink this far this season. His advanced stats are way superior to Makars despite being almost a full year younger and playing with mich less talent surrounding him.

Both will be allstars but I think Quinn is going to be a top 5 defenseman in the league and I dont just mean an offensive dman. Kids I.Q is three the roof and his skating is otherworldly. His small stature isn't gonna hold him back in the least.

Reactions: John Johnson

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Quinn has looked better at both ends of the rink this far this season. His advanced stats are way superior to Makars despite being almost a full year younger and playing with mich less talent surrounding him.

Both will be allstars but I think Quinn is going to be a top 5 defenseman in the league and I dont just mean an offensive dman. Kids I.Q is three the roof and his skating is otherworldly. His small stature isn't gonna hold him back in the least.
And then you look at other stats like hits, points, blocked shots, takeaways and Makar looks better. Then you watch some of Makar's playoff games. Then you watch his latest two games and then you realize how good Makar really will be.

Edit: Hughes will be awesome, though.

Last edited:

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
They are close but Makar is slightly better defensively and being the RHD that weighs it his direction. Both teams are happy with their players but the RHD is harder position to fill then LHD.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I guess my question is...does it matter who is better in the end? If there is a perceived difference between them, that difference will likely be negligible.

They both are capable of being stars, perhaps superstars on the backend, and I think both will be capable of leading their teams toward cup runs (with the proper teams constructed around them). All of these other arguments are just message board fodder.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago

With young D in the league like Dahlin, Makar, Jones, Provorov, McAvoy, Chabot, Heiskanen, Hamilton, Rielly, Werenski, Trouba, Dumba, OEL and guys coming in the future like Broberg, York, Byram, Bouchard ETC... it's gonna be tough to say top 5. I do expect him to be better than most of the mentioned though.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
And that’s the thing about a slow, but statistically impressive, start. It gets wiped away the second he starts looking good. There’s no hole to dig out of. Makar is currently tied for the league lead among rookies for points and leads in ppg since he’s played fewer games. Now he’s playing well. Sky’s the limit.

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Zero difference in their puck handling ability and talent at rushing the puck. Makar takes the clear edge in shooting, board play, and containment in the defensive zone.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
With young D in the league like Dahlin, Makar, Jones, Provorov, McAvoy, Chabot, Heiskanen, Hamilton, Rielly, Werenski, Trouba, Dumba, OEL and guys coming in the future like Broberg, York, Byram, Bouchard ETC... it's gonna be tough to say top 5. I do expect him to be better than most of the mentioned though.

Makar is better right now at age 20 with only 10 regular season games than Byram will ever be.

Aves fans got to see both in depth. Byram is more likely to bust.

Reactions: missionAvs

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Makar is better right now at age 20 with only 10 regular season games than Byram will ever be.

Aves fans got to see both in depth. Byram is more likely to bust.
Byram was better than Makar in their respective draft years so anything can happen

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Makar is defenseman Mackinnon. Yes he’s quick, but he’s also powerful. That explosive stride is the way he opens his hips is so similar to Mackinnon.
This is what makes it so hard to determine which one is the better skater as they are completely different in their styles.

I have no doubt Hughes would beat Makar in a straight race around the rink. Similar to how everyone is shocked at how bad Mackinnon does at the all star game in the speed skating challenge getting beat by guys no one would think of. It’s the acceleration and first three steps that Makar really excels at, he’s much more powerful but less refined than Hughes.

Makar skates like an Ovechkin, Roenick, or Mackinnon, Hughes skates like a Gaudreau, Skinner, or Girard with great edge work. It’s really explosiveness versus poise and you could make an argument for either depending what you prefer.

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
Hughes has a high ceiling also, but Makar has shown more progression towards his than Hughes has.

How? Hughes dominated in the NCAA, made the NHL faster, and looks amazing in the NHL while being a year younger.

Not even saying he's better, just that I disagree with your statement

Course I also disgaree with your statements about hughes being bad defensively. That's a pretty outrageous claim even by the doom and gloom standards of hfboards.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
How? Hughes dominated in the NCAA, made the NHL faster, and looks amazing in the NHL while being a year younger.

Not even saying he's better, just that I disagree with your statement

Course I also disgaree with your statements about hughes being bad defensively. That's a pretty outrageous claim even by the doom and gloom standards of hfboards.
Hughes didn't dominate college, he was solid. Makar's second year is what you call dominated, there's a reason he won the Hobey Baker.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Hughes didn't dominate college, he was solid. Makar's second year is what you call dominated, there's a reason he won the Hobey Baker.
They were both great in college, but I don't get the weight put into the Hobey Baker award. Sure its a good award and all but its also been won by non-NHLers and players like Jimmy Vesey and Adam Gaudette, both of whom look like 3rd liners at this point. Also I believe Hughes came in like 2nd or 3rd place in HB voting for his second year of college.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
They were both great in college, but I don't get the weight put into the Hobey Baker award. Sure its a good award and all but its also been won by non-NHLers and players like Jimmy Vesey and Adam Gaudette, both of whom look like 3rd liners at this point. Also I believe Hughes came in like 2nd or 3rd place in HB voting for his second year of college.
How about players like Paul Karyia and Jack Eichel . I guess they looked like 3rd liners too ehhh...

Reactions: Dominance

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I really like both but i always liked hughes just a tad more, he has that special motor and can move side to side and stop on a dime that leaves players in the dust and has exceptional stick handling and creativity while being a year younger. Hughes does take a few more risks which can backfire and I know those high risk plays drive some old school hockey fans insane instead of just making a safe dump it in play. Those plays generate a ton of offensive chances but I know the minute one does not work people on here freak out. A canucks fan on twitter recently posted no powerplay generates more shots currently then one run by quinn hughes. Makar plays a bit more reserved structured game.

This is really going to come down to preference and what you value in a d-man until one of them separates themselves in the years to come.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

You cant have it both ways though, makars first year of college people blamed his team being bad for his production, at the same age hughes outproduced makar by quite a bit. If quinn was in the ncaa at 20 could he produce like makar did last year? We will never know. And at quinns age of 19 his ncaa production (over a point per game) for a defense-man his production last I looked was extraordinary at that age.

You can tilt these arguments anyway you want in favor of one or the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad