Makar vs Hughes

Which prospect would you rather have?

• Total voters

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Makar is really good but I'd take the gamble on Hughes, he could be an elite #1 offensive PMD

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
As opposed to Makar?

I see Makar as a future top pairing guy, but I think Hughes has a higher ceiling. His skating and hockey IQ is a whole tier higher than Makar's, who's is already great.

It could potentially end up being Karlsson vs Hedman or Pietrangelo and I think Makar has less kinks to his game to work through, however when it comes to player evaluation and drafting I personally always take the highest ceiling possible and hope for a home run.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I see Makar as a future top pairing guy, but I think Hughes has a higher ceiling. His skating and hockey IQ is a whole tier higher than Makar's, who's is already great.

It could potentially end up being Karlsson vs Hedman or Pietrangelo and I think Makar has less kinks to his game to work through, however when it comes to player evaluation and drafting I personally always take the highest ceiling possible and hope for a home run.
I think you are incorrect in your evaluation if you think Hughes is a tier higher.

Love both these prospects personally i think they are the top two d men by a substantial margin. Hard to choose but i went with Makar. You cant go wrong with either.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Pretty tough to pick. If starting a team from scratch I would rather Makar since I generally like my dmen to be more 2-way kind of guys but Hughes has the higher offensive ceiling so I can see why others would pick him here.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Apart from being a little under-sized (not a problem these days), Makar is the complete package. Slightly worse offensively than Hughes but his all around game is much much better. And he's right handed.

Makar for sure.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I think you are incorrect in your evaluation if you think Hughes is a tier higher.

Love both these prospects personally i think they are the top two d men by a substantial margin. Hard to choose but i went with Makar. You cant go wrong with either.

I don't think Hughes is a tier above Makar today, I think that if both reach their max ceiling that Hughes would be better, no slight on Makar at all, I think he's great, but Hughes' skating and hockey IQ could turn him into the next Karlsson or Doughty if everything breaks in his favour, which, while being highly unlikely, is extremely tantalizing, and like I said, I always go for home run picks.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
As opposed to Makar?

Makar is a more of a TWD compared to Hughes. I think Hughes has 60-70pt potential whereas Makar will probably be in the ~50pt range with better defense. Both guys are fantastic prospects and it’s hard to choose between them honestly.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
They are both godly prospects and if you have either I think you'd be over the moon.

I think Hughes is the safer of the 2 but I think Makar has the higher ceiling

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
They are both godly prospects and if you have either I think you'd be over the moon.

Makar is most definitely the "safer" prospect. He could jump in the NHL right now + has the higher floor.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Makar is most definitely the "safer" prospect. He could jump in the NHL right now + has the higher floor.

I think Makar is more NHL ready but I think Hughes playstyle transitions perfectly to the NHL game which is why I view him as safer. It'll be interesting to see how Makars raw skill translates to the higher leagues, what he is able to get away with and how much of an impact it can have.

He is ready now, it'll just need to wait to be seen.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

You definitely have those backwards, Makar is widely regarded as the safe pick, Hughes is the boom//bust pick.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
You definitely have those backwards, Makar is widely regarded as the safe pick, Hughes is the boom//bust pick.

I think both will boom so its just how I view the difference in their playstyles fits in the current NHL game. Which is where I put my thoughts.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

I find it hard to believe any prospects have skating at a higher tier than Makar

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
For the Canucks I’d take Hughes. Makar is probably safer but the Canucks need Hughes’ creativity and high end offensive skills because they have no one like him on the team or in the system. A PP quarterback even if he might not be as strong defensively is a huge team need.
Having said that I’d be more than fine with either player as I think they’ll both end up very close.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Have you seen QuHu skate? it's unbelievable how good he can skate
Yes I have.

I could say the exact same thing about Makar though. If Makar is an elite skater, then what is the tier above that? All-time great?

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Lol Hughes is pretty much guarenteed to be an impact nhler in some capacity.

They are both safe picks.

Last edited:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Nucks fan saying Makar, I just like his overall game better.

That said, I'm absolutely pumped to have Q

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Cant go wrong with either. Both guys have legit #1D upside if things go well for them and they can transition to the NHL smoothly. IMO Makar will have a little easier of a transition due to his size as well as his two-way ability, so I take him for that reason.

That said, Hughes is one year behind Makar in development and could very well see his Defensive game improve a lot by the time he joins the NHL as well, though the size factor is something he will still have to overcome.

I dunno, flip a coin really. Cant go wrong with either one. Both should be fantastic top tier Defenders in this new evolving NHL where elite skating, puck moving Defenders are becoming increasingly more important.

Reactions: dim jim

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Nucks fan saying Makar, I just like his overall game better.

That said, I'm absolutely pumped to have Q

I’m inclined to say this as well but it’s really tough to know at this point. Makar’s shot is significantly better than Hughes’ so that maybe tips the scal slightly for me. I think Hughes is a better skater (yes Avs fans I know Makar is a great skater) and has more impressive production other than at the WJC which doesn’t mean much anyway.

Overall I don’t think there’s a “wrong answer” at this point. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Reactions: avsfan3737

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
The fact that people are choosing Makar is insane.

Draft year:

Makar is playing in a tier 3 Junior league

Hughes is playing against men in the NCAA which is loaded with NHL level talent and DOMINATING

Draft +1 year:

Makar is struggling and putting up bustworthy numbers in the NCAA

Hughes is DOMINATING the NCAA scoring at over a PPG

How is this even close?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad