Rumor: MAF has submitted a 10 team no-trade list

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I believe, if the Knights buy out MAF, the cap hit remaining would be 2.5 million freeing up 4.5 million in space. Leaving them with approx 10 million in total cap space. Not exactly a bad spot to be in.

This is what people need to realize before they suggest the Knights give up a top quality asset to move him or retain close to 50%.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Nilsson for Fleury 1mil retained + 2021 1st (maybe more ?)

If Nilsson can still be a backup Vegas would save 3.4mil in cap space this oncoming season and 6mil the season after, we would only be technically paying an extra 700k on a starting goalie this year and 5 mil the next.

Nilsson had concussion issues so he might ot play again, so at worst you get a solid backup or you LTIR him.

We were already paying Anderson 4,75 and Fleury is better.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
All he has to do is put Edmonton Calgary Toronto Ottawa Detroit Minnesota Colorado Carolina and its effectively a no trade list
I am curious why MAF would want to do this. Isn't it apparent that he wants to be traded? Why not make it easier for Vegas to trade him by leaving the teams he would like to go to off of his no-trade list?

Reactions: Mike Jones

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I am curious why MAF would want to do this. Isn't it apparent that he wants to be traded? Why not make it easier for Vegas to trade him by leaving the teams he would like to go to off of his no-trade list?
He can always go back and waive for a team that was on the no trade list after the fact. So, as long as he tells Vegas that he will reconsider at the time of a trade, he can have more control over the situation when a trade actually comes up.

An example is:
A team is on the no trade list.
They propose a trade for him.
Fleury says I will waive if you give me an extension.
Fleury goes to new team and gets new contract, instead of just going to new team.

I don't think Fleury has the leverage to do this, but in general that is why a player would put a team on a no trade list, even if they wouldn't mind going to that team.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Or waiving the no trade clause altogether. $14m helps a player adapt to almost any living or playing conditions.

The team I think he'll be traded to has roughly $5 million tied up in goaltending right now. Ottawa, St. Louis, Detroit, New Jersey, Colorado???

Last edited:

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
He can always go back and waive for a team that was on the no trade list after the fact. So, as long as he tells Vegas that he will reconsider at the time of a trade, he can have more control over the situation when a trade actually comes up.

An example is:
A team is on the no trade list.
They propose a trade for him.
Fleury says I will waive if you give me an extension.
Fleury goes to new team and gets new contract, instead of just going to new team.

I don't think Fleury has the leverage to do this, but in general that is why a player would put a team on a no trade list, even if they wouldn't mind going to that team.
Sorry, but that is wrong. MAF has two years left on his contract. He cannot negotiate an extension until next year. I believe that MAF wants out of Vegas. I also believe that he is a decent guy. If so, he will not include teams on his no trade list if he would be happy to go there.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Wouldn't be shocked to see him go to the Hawks especially if Bowman moves on from Crawford.

MAF for Seabrook and a late pick.

Hawks unload dead weight while at it and the Knights get a cup winning dman who would slot in as their #3.

Holy, didn't realize MAF is already 35 years old. Wasn't he 18 years old when he was a rookie? Lehnar is 29 and he looks old enough to be MAF's dad. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Or waiving the no trade clause altogether. $14m helps a player adapt to almost any living or playing conditions.

The team I think he'll be traded to has roughly $5 million tied up in goaltending right now. Ottawa, St. Louis, Detroit, New Jersey, Colorado???
Why would the Avs have any interest in this guy? Vegas would need to retain and take on a cap dump like Ian Cole to solicit any interest from the Avs.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Rumor: Marc-Andre Fleury Has Submitted No-Trade List To Vegas Golden Knights

I bet the 10 teams are

1) Toronto
2) Vancouver
3) Calgary (he did reject it 5 years ago, don't see why it would change now)
4) Edmonton
5) Philly
6) Washington
7) Ottawa
8) ?
9) ?
10) ?

You've got it all wrong. If you don't want to get traded the majority of the teams on that last should be teams you 100% know won't have the cap space to acquire you. Ottawa is also a bad choice. They're a rebuilding team, they're stingy and MAF is 35. When Ottawa is finished rebuilding MAF will probably be retired. That's another team you don't put on your no trade list.

Your list doesn't work. Maybe Calgary makes sense if they're in win now mode and they don't go after Kempher. Philly is all in on Hart, aren't they? Mayyybe Washington makes sense, but maybe he'd be cool with trying to win them. Vancouver? VANCOUVER?! They've got 2 solid goalies and no cap space. Of course he's off of the no-trade list.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
If we trade Murray I would take him in Pittsburgh at 50%. Would have to add a sweetner from Vegas though.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Not every player tries to leverage every single situation to the fullest extent. Some just want to make it easy and simple and move on. Even doing that can still take a couple days with the agent to figure out but that doesn't mean that the end goal is to leverage the NTC like you put out there. You're still overthinking the situation for most of these players.

Call it leveraging, call it doing what's right by you. Players don't want to remain where they're unwante,d but they do (especially in the case of veterans) typically want control over where they're going.

Practically speaking, there are probably 13 teams that under no circumstances would trade for Fleury.... they are:

Anaheim
Los Angeles
Dallas
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg
Columbus
NYI
NYR
Philadelphia
Florida
Montreal
Tampa Bay

There's no reason to include any of these teams on his NTC... and realistically, if any of them were to trade for him, it wouldn't be a bad opportunity anyways.

So from there, you've got 17 teams that could theoretically trade for you... Detroit & Ottawa are the obvious teams to avoid -- but beyond that, he has some choice. He'd be doing himself a disservice to not maximize the use of that NTC to have a say in his destination.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Why would the Avs have any interest in this guy? Vegas would need to retain and take on a cap dump like Ian Cole to solicit any interest from the Avs.
You saw the "????" right? I was simply using the Avs as an example of a team with enough cap space to fit him in. That's all.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Call it leveraging, call it doing what's right by you. Players don't want to remain where they're unwante,d but they do (especially in the case of veterans) typically want control over where they're going.

Practically speaking, there are probably 13 teams that under no circumstances would trade for Fleury.... they are:

Anaheim
Los Angeles
Dallas
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg
Columbus
NYI
NYR
Philadelphia
Florida
Montreal
Tampa Bay

There's no reason to include any of these teams on his NTC... and realistically, if any of them were to trade for him, it wouldn't be a bad opportunity anyways.

So from there, you've got 17 teams that could theoretically trade for you... Detroit & Ottawa are the obvious teams to avoid -- but beyond that, he has some choice. He'd be doing himself a disservice to not maximize the use of that NTC to have a say in his destination.

It depends on what he wants out of his next team and the opportunity that presents itself. And no, he wouldn't be doing him a disservice to not maximize it because it presumes that any one way is the way to maximize it for him. Any way he decides to utilize this tool will not be a disservice to himself. It's his to use as he sees fit and that will be maximizing the clause.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
My goal would be Anaheim to draft Askarov, and to trade Gibson for a glorious package. I've been seeing/reading that Askarov's potential is sky high.
Yup but don't want him to get ruined by him playing games so soon . I can see Askarov beign ready in two years but not in time to trade Gibson right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad