Rumor: MAF has submitted a 10 team no-trade list

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I don't think he has any reason to put Philly on there. With Carter Hart they're not in the market for a $7m goalie.

Half the teams he listed wouldn’t trade for him, don’t think he’s very bright.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think it's impossible to guess what teams Fleury will put on his NTC and what kind of return he's looking at. Depending on what he wants to do, he can either make it really easy for Vegas to trade him (or at least not super painful) or force a buyout. It's all up to Fleury.

If I had to make a guess, Idon't think Fleury is the kind of person that will try to f*ck over Vegas and get a buyout, but I also don't think he's so nice that he'll accept a trade to say Ottawa or Detroit. That's just speculation on my part. My bet is Fleury with salary retained to Carolina for Gardiner, but he could also put Carolina on his NTC because he doesn't want to go there.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
When can Seattle start making trades and acquiring picks/players?

Would be hilarious if he ended up there

After the pay their final installment they can only take on prospect rights, or sign prospects that are loaned back to their clubs like in europe or CHL. They can sign CHL/NCAA players in March for 21/22 contracts

They can not take on NHL players until after next season in 2021

Reactions: Headshot77

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think he has any reason to put Philly on there. With Carter Hart they're not in the market for a $7m goalie.

Depends on what he wants to avoid, I suppose. If he wants to start, he'd put teams that have definitive starters on them for better or for worse. If it's about money, he'd probably put California and Canadian teams on it. If he wants to win, he'd put the ten worst teams on it. Or more likely, some mixture of the three. Even though he's not what he once was, I'd love to swap Martin Jones for Fleury but Vegas is not going to be interested in that since while they will probably take back a goalie making a decent amount, not at Jones' 5.75 for four more years. A deal with Carolina makes sense if they're not on Fleury's no-trade list. They have a goalie with some salary that's probably at a more manageable rate for Vegas and probably some other pieces to make some sort of a four player trade where Fleury goes there and Reimer comes back.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Id assume he goes to a playoff team. Would Canes be interested?

Possibly if Vegas would take back one of Nino Niederreiter or Jake Gardiner. Plus either retain or throw in a B asset (~2nd).

Example:
Gardiner/Nino + #43 overall for Fleury + #29 overall
Gardiner/Nino for Fleury ($3 million retained)

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I think it's impossible to guess what teams Fleury will put on his NTC and what kind of return he's looking at. Depending on what he wants to do, he can either make it really easy for Vegas to trade him (or at least not super painful) or force a buyout. It's all up to Fleury.

If I had to make a guess, Idon't think Fleury is the kind of person that will try to f*ck over Vegas and get a buyout, but I also don't think he's so nice that he'll accept a trade to say Ottawa or Detroit. That's just speculation on my part. My bet is Fleury with salary retained to Carolina for Gardiner, but he could also put Carolina on his NTC because he doesn't want to go there.

MAF / Gardiner could work, have to find a taker for Reimer or Mrazek

We then draft Askarov for the future.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Depends on what he wants to avoid, I suppose. If he wants to start, he'd put teams that have definitive starters on them for better or for worse. If it's about money, he'd probably put California and Canadian teams on it. If he wants to win, he'd put the ten worst teams on it. Or more likely, some mixture of the three. Even though he's not what he once was, I'd love to swap Martin Jones for Fleury but Vegas is not going to be interested in that since while they will probably take back a goalie making a decent amount, not at Jones' 5.75 for four more years. A deal with Carolina makes sense if they're not on Fleury's no-trade list. They have a goalie with some salary that's probably at a more manageable rate for Vegas and probably some other pieces to make some sort of a four player trade where Fleury goes there and Reimer comes back.

Typically players want a say in their destination... no sense is listing a team that would never trade for you.

Reactions: Sinbad

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
If you’re smart, you put the 10 teams on there that are most likely or rumoured to be a looking for a goalie. This way you can control your destination much better.

(in no particular order)

1. Toronto
2. Carolina
3. Calgary
4. Edmonton
5. Chicago
6. Colorado
7. Minnesota
8. Buffalo
9. Washington
10. Detroit

The first 5 or so on the list have been rumoured to be looking for goaltending changes. The next few maybe a bit less but you have to fill out 10 so you might as well.
No point putting teams on their with solid no. 1 goalies because they aren’t going to trade for you anyway.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
FWIW basically i only see two teams that can fit him in comfortably without bating an eyelash, And that's Detroit and Ottawa.
And Melnyk isn’t taking that contract, which leaves Detroit. What sweetener does Detroit insist on to take MAF?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
It's a two way street as well. Fleury probably fills in the 10 destinations, but that doesn't preclude the concept of the GM asking him to waive the NTC for a destination that was included in his 10. It's not like he's going to sit down and add Florida and Montreal to the list purely because they cannot afford him.

MAF could literally end up anywhere and it's possible his desire to get out of Vegas could be higher than the 10 names on his NTC. The point of the NTC is control.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Typically players want a say in their destination... no sense is listing a team that would never trade for you.

He gets a say in his destination by listing the ten teams he doesn't want to be traded to as stated in his contract. Typically, no-trade lists are lists of teams the player wants to stay away from regardless of whether that team would actually want to trade for you.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
He gets a say in his destination by listing the ten teams he doesn't want to be traded to as stated in his contract. Typically, no-trade lists are lists of teams the player wants to stay away from regardless of whether that team would actually want to trade for you.

Not necessarily. Ideally you would want a full NTC so you can choose where you go in a trade but that also comes at a cost in negotiating your contract.

It might not be that Fleury doesn’t want to go to Carolina or Chicago or wherever but if you put those teams on your list and they’re interested, you get to decide if you really want to go. Putting MTL or Florida or Anaheim or other teams that are super set with a no. 1 goalie or just aren’t in a position to trade for MAF is a waste of one of the 10 NTC slots. As others has mentioned. It’s about control.

Reactions: Sinbad

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If you’re smart, you put the 10 teams on there that are most likely or rumoured to be a looking for a goalie. This way you can control your destination much better.

(in no particular order)

1. Toronto
2. Carolina
3. Calgary
4. Edmonton
5. Chicago
6. Colorado
7. Minnesota
8. Buffalo
9. Washington
10. Detroit

The first 5 or so on the list have been rumoured to be looking for goaltending changes. The next few maybe a bit less but you have to fill out 10 so you might as well.
No point putting teams on their with solid no. 1 goalies because they aren’t going to trade for you anyway.

I mean if he wants to choose where he goes, he puts ten teams that have no interest in him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not necessarily. Ideally you would want a full NTC so you can choose where you go in a trade but that also comes at a cost in negotiating your contract.

It might not be that Fleury doesn’t want to go to Carolina or Chicago or wherever but if you put those teams on your list and they’re interested, you get to decide if you really want to go. Putting MTL or Florida or Anaheim or other teams that are super set with a no. 1 goalie or just aren’t in a position to trade for MAF is a waste of one of the 10 NTC slots. As others has mentioned. It’s about control.

Saying it's about control is still too vague for the situation. It depends on what type of control he wants to wield in this situation. Does he want to wield as much control as he can to go somewhere to start? To go somewhere to take home as much as possible? To go somewhere to win? I think people overthink these sorts of things. He's going to put teams on that list that are the least appealing for him and if the team decides to try and trade him to one of those teams, he'll have to be asked and decide. I agree it doesn't necessarily exclude those teams as a potential suitor but going forward with a trade option with one of those teams tends to not end well for the team.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

The ideal situation for Fleury would be forcing a buyout and then double-dipping on salary in Free Agency. Fleury gets $2-3 million in buyout money for the next 4 years from Vegas and then signs for ~$5+ million for 3-4 years. Extends his current $6-6.5 million salary x 2 years to $7+ million x 4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->