Rumor: MAF has submitted a 10 team no-trade list

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
He gets a say in his destination by listing the ten teams he doesn't want to be traded to as stated in his contract. Typically, no-trade lists are lists of teams the player wants to stay away from regardless of whether that team would actually want to trade for you.

Correct... but I'd go as far as saying there are probably more than 10 teams that Fleury doesn't want to play for. Including Philly, who has little reason to even think about trading for him, would be a waste of that spot.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
All he has to do is put Edmonton Calgary Toronto Ottawa Detroit Minnesota Colorado Carolina and its effectively a no trade list

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
MAF could really make it hard on Vegas by putting...

Montreal, Buffalo, Minnesota, Ottawa, Detroit, Flames, Devils, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Pittsburgh on there. Basically telling the Vegas management, its Colorado, you are taking on a bunch of cap to get rid of me, or buy me out so I can choose. The other teams with cap wouldnt have any interest in adding him as they already have an expensive goalie. No I am not saying Colorado would trade for him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Correct... but I'd go as far as saying there are probably more than 10 teams that Fleury doesn't want to play for. Including Philly, who has little reason to even think about trading for him, would be a waste of that spot.

Maybe but that doesn't matter. His clause is what it is. If he wants to think that much into this, which let's be real he won't, he can utilize the ten team no-trade list to list the ones that he absolutely wants to avoid and whatever is left could be a list of teams that don't want him but that just gives him a better opportunity to go where he wants. But that's typically overthinking the situation. He will likely use the ten team no-trade list to put teams on there that offer him the least interesting opportunity.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
So you think a guy who has 2 years left, who's only played in 2 cities his entire career, isn't going to invest a couple of days working with his agent to figure out how he can turn a 10-team ntc into a 15-20 team ntc?

Reactions: Erep

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
As a Pens fan I would be willing to listen to the VGK GM if he proposed a deal like:

MAF @ 50%

for

JMFJ with no retention

Honestly it's not a bad deal for both teams. Vegas gets out of having a $7m goaltender sitting on their bench for most of the season.

Engo may retire. JMFJ is a terrible defenseman the more you have him play even strength but he's an excellent penalty killer. He's a cheaper buyout option than MAF if they want to go that route and it's probably cheaper to pay someone a 2nd or 3rd to take him off your hands than a 1st or more to take MAF off your hands.

Reactions: Ignatius

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
When can Seattle start making trades and acquiring picks/players?

Would be hilarious if he ended up there

Some time in march or later once the final expansion fee payments are made to the league.

Seattle can probably find a younger and/or cheaper option in the expansion draft with out giving up anything. Its not worth giving up a future prospect aka draft pick for a him.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
He can leave the jets off his list. We have our starter and arent going in on a 36 year old backup at 7mil per year.
and other teams on the list are set too. he still might include teams where he won't start or doesn't want to live

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So you think a guy who has 2 years left, who's only played in 2 cities his entire career, isn't going to invest a couple of days working with his agent to figure out how he can turn a 10-team ntc into a 15-20 team ntc?

Not every player tries to leverage every single situation to the fullest extent. Some just want to make it easy and simple and move on. Even doing that can still take a couple days with the agent to figure out but that doesn't mean that the end goal is to leverage the NTC like you put out there. You're still overthinking the situation for most of these players.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Who's going to want him at that salary?

I don't see VGK retaining, IIRC they don't have oodles of cap space and also want to keep it for their own guys / potential trades.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I mean if he wants to choose where he goes, he puts ten teams that have no interest in him.

Saying it's about control is still too vague for the situation. It depends on what type of control he wants to wield in this situation. Does he want to wield as much control as he can to go somewhere to start? To go somewhere to take home as much as possible? To go somewhere to win? I think people overthink these sorts of things. He's going to put teams on that list that are the least appealing for him and if the team decides to try and trade him to one of those teams, he'll have to be asked and decide. I agree it doesn't necessarily exclude those teams as a potential suitor but going forward with a trade option with one of those teams tends to not end well for the team.

What if there’s more than 10 teams he doesn’t really want to go to?

Maybe he would be willing to go to just about any team but he wants to choose the destination?

Why waste your 10 picks on destinations that aren’t going to trade for you whether you don’t want to go there or not? You’re effectively diminishing your options and the control that you bargained for in your contract.

It’s like jury selection. If there’s a juror you don’t want but you know the other side definitely doesn’t want them why waste a challenge on it? Use them on the ones you really care about

1dreamof1cup

Jan 9, 2016
If Rask is done and retiring, I wonder if he'd be in the bruins plan. Both have the same cap hit.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What if there’s more than 10 teams he doesn’t really want to go to?

Maybe he would be willing to go to just about any team but he wants to choose the destination?

Why waste your 10 picks on destinations that aren’t going to trade for you whether you don’t want to go there or not? You’re effectively diminishing your options and the control that you bargained for in your contract.

It’s like jury selection. If there’s a juror you don’t want but you know the other side definitely doesn’t want them why waste a challenge on it? Use them on the ones you really care about

Then he should've negotiated that in his contract if he wanted that level of control. Look, there are some people who will look to maximize their leverage in situations. It's possible Fleury may do that but plenty of players with these sorts of clauses also keep it pretty simple with the intent that they're either just going through the motions because it's an annual event and have no real fear of being dealt or just want to move on and don't try to play 3D chess when it just doesn't matter that much.

Until we know what Fleury is looking for or what he's looking to avoid because those are both viable ways to approach it, it's impossible to say with any real certainty.

You ask why waste 10 picks on teams that aren't going to trade for you as if teams don't change quickly on these things depending on what's out there for them. You're not diminishing your options no matter what reasoning is used to pick the ten teams you don't want to go to. It's your negotiated contract and your power to wield as you see fit for whatever reason. It's not like jury selection because things change in a hot second in the NHL. Typically, a no-trade list is to avoid organizations for whatever reason...and whichever team that Vegas completes a deal with he is fine with playing for regardless of their situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad