Rumor: MAF has submitted a 10 team no-trade list

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
2x7m on a 35 yo Goaltender in the twilight of his career. You ain’t moving him without retaining or taking a bad contract on.

But why Jones? Surely they can do better than taking on the worst starter in the league + trading MAF within the division AND retaining salary.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Right now both netminders aren’t that far off in terms of how bad imo. Change of scenery.

The Knights will buy Fleury out before they trade him for another goalie with that kind of cap hit. That completely defeats the purpose of trading him.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Hopefully PIT is on there. I never want to see that smile again.
I dont think it's a smile you're gonna see again any time soon
SkZqb1cZBeKdMnjY0bAO4E3Xt5Szsraol_QxT2Vmi-ZIHUQPTr69lKoHmKedWpsuH8jx7iNCa_IZhK2CdPJepBZ_8_YhpzOIf7YK-gwwRajzZJ3ZvM6FBGkQ7ABmOMK6q2l3VD4p5ZCFhBA8fcOVi84sNYmbkaB5Sw

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Knights will buy Fleury out before they trade him for another goalie with that kind of cap hit. That completely defeats the purpose of trading him.

I don't know about that. A four year dead cap hit between 2 and 3 mil depending on the year doesn't help a team near the cap like Vegas is. They'd have about 10 mil to re-sign Lehner at 5 mil, bring in a backup, re-sign Cousins and Stephenson, and bring in an extra forward and d-man. I don't think they're going to do something like it for Jones but I can see them trading with Carolina or Minnesota for Reimer or Dubnyk and another contract that will help address one of those things. If nothing else, either of the goalies they'd acquire would probably be tradeable without having to take too much of a hit. They could trade Reimer or Dubnyk with a 2nd next year to clear the space. I don't think they can accomplish that with Fleury.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I don't know about that. A four year dead cap hit between 2 and 3 mil depending on the year doesn't help a team near the cap like Vegas is. They'd have about 10 mil to re-sign Lehner at 5 mil, bring in a backup, re-sign Cousins and Stephenson, and bring in an extra forward and d-man. I don't think they're going to do something like it for Jones but I can see them trading with Carolina or Minnesota for Reimer or Dubnyk and another contract that will help address one of those things. If nothing else, either of the goalies they'd acquire would probably be tradeable without having to take too much of a hit. They could trade Reimer or Dubnyk with a 2nd next year to clear the space. I don't think they can accomplish that with Fleury.

What I should've said was the Knights are not going to carry a backup goalie with that kind of cap hit. If they were to trade Fleury for Dubnyk or Reimer they could then buy them out as they have more buyout friendly contracts.

Also disagree with the assessment of a Fleury buyout. The 3rd and 4th year aren't as important as getting through the 2 flat cap years coming up. Cap savings over those first 2 years is going to be the priority for getting rid of Fleury IMO.

If they can get to 10m in space it's more than enough for Lehner and the other guys they have to sign. Especially since they don't necessarily need to carry a full 23 man roster for the entire season with the AHL team in town.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I threw this out on the Penguins boards for laughs, and I want to get the input of Knights fans as well. I'm thinking of a deal based around Johnson and futures for Fleury with X% salary retained. What is that percentage that works for both teams?

It should be noted that a Johnson buyout is fairly tame from a cap perspective outside of 2022-2023 and I think Vegas would be much more willing to buy out JJ and pay him $5.5 million over 6 years over buying out Fleury and paying him $8.33 million over 4 years. Retaining 50% on Fleury costs the Knights $6.25 million in real cash for comparison.

Here are the financial ramifications of doing Johnson and futures for Fleury at $5 million, with Vegas buying out Johnson after that, compared to Vegas buying out Fleury and Pittsburgh keeping JJ while running with DeSmith as the backup:
  • Vegas: 3.2/3.2/1.9/0.9 (plus 2 additional years at $900k)
  • Vegas post MAF buyout: 2.6/3.1/2.1/2.1
  • Pittsburgh: 5.1/5.1/0/0 ($5 million for Fleury plus $100k or so for DeSmith in the AHL)
  • Pittsburgh with JJ and DeSmith: 4.5/4.5/3.25/0
Years 1-3 are fairly similar for Vegas with this, and they have a benefit in year 4 and get a futures asset out of it. I think years 1 and 2 are a little bit worse for Pittsburgh, but they're better off because of it.

Here is the money comparison for those ideas:
  • Vegas: $9.07 million over 6 years, with years 1-4 costing $7.3 million
  • Vegas post MAF buyout: $8.33 million over 4 years
  • Pittsburgh: $11.43 million over 4 years
  • Pittsburgh with JJ and DeSmith: $10.75 million over 4 years

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Vegas shouldn't retain on MAF until Lehner (and possibly someone else) is signed. They might need every penny of cap space if they're going big game hunting on October 9th.

They need to take a cap dump back IMO, at least until they get their cap sorted out. That will be another problem for down the road.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Vegas could move him to a team looking for a 1A/1B situation by retaining around 2.5M, which is better than a buyout (same cap hit year one, less cap hit year 2, and no year 3 or 4 cap hits). A trade also allows Vegas to control where Fleury goes (to a reasonable degree).
Why are they concerned with where he goes? Are they concerned that a declining goalie in his late 30’s is going to set the world on fire haha.
I think most teams looking for a goalie are to to wait for free agency and see what $4.5 million per year can get them. Most of those teams will be walking away with a better goalie then fleury.
No disrespect to the guy. I think he is a great dude. His run is coming to an end. The last two seasons have showed us that.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Friedman said in NHL Network Radio yesterday that Vegas will either retain on Fleury or they’ll buy him out.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
What what it's worth, many teams just ask all players for the no-trade list as part of the process. While this time I would agree it is more likely to be used.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Detroit seems like a logical place. We might even see a trade before the draft? One can hope!

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Montreal should sign him so we could have half our cap strapped to goalies. The Marc Bergevin way.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Oh that’s right! I forgot, thanks for reminding me. So Jones goes the other way. Should have kept Greiss.
Fleury is worth a lot more than Jones. MAF is an inconsistent average to above average starter with experience winning a cup and was the Knights mvp in their first season. He wasn’t super solid last season but he was still better than Jones who hasn’t been good since 2017. Honestly the Knights shouldn’t deal Fleury until they’ve inked Lehner.

I do think Detroit or Carolina make sense if he’s moved.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Fleury could have a ton of influence on where he lands. Not many teams can fit his cap and have the need. He could basically choose his destination, or wait to be exposed in the Seattle expansion draft if he doesn't find somewhere he wants to go.

Ex. No need to put Montreal on the list even if he was dead set against going there, because they don't have the room for him.

I could see him liking Carolina or Calgary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad