Rumor: MAF has submitted a 10 team no-trade list

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Rumor: Marc-Andre Fleury Has Submitted No-Trade List To Vegas Golden Knights

I bet the 10 teams are

1) Toronto
2) Vancouver
3) Calgary (he did reject it 5 years ago, don't see why it would change now)
4) Edmonton
5) Philly
6) Washington
7) Ottawa
8) ?
9) ?
10) ?
He did go on record afterwards saying that he would have waived the NTC for Calgary: Marc-Andre Fleury would have waived no-trade for the Flames - Sportsnet.ca
Now possibly he just said that to be nice and in reality he actually does hate the Flames. I imagine he'd accept a trade anywhere he could get starter minutes.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
This situation has buyout written all over it.
Vegas doesn’t want to be giving away assets to move him while they are a great team. The also don’t want to retain just to move him as a neutral asset.
Buy him out. Take the lumps and move on.
Nobody is trading for that contract (and aging player with declining numbers), when there are an abundance of much cheaper, similar (and better) options.

let’s not forget that Pittsburgh had to give up a 2nd round pick just to get rid of him at a lower cap number and when he was younger. I don’t know what the heck management was thinking when they gave him that extension.

Reactions: freester

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
As a devils fan I would take him. Splits with Blackwood and shows Blackwood the ropes. Only thing is we have no way to get rid of Schneider and I cannot see ownership being too happy with paying that much $ on goaltending with no gate revenue coming in .

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
This situation has buyout written all over it.
Vegas doesn’t want to be giving away assets to move him while they are a great team. The also don’t want to retain just to move him as a neutral asset.
Buy him out. Take the lumps and move on.
Nobody is trading for that contract (and aging player with declining numbers), when there are an abundance of much cheaper, similar (and better) options.

Vegas could move him to a team looking for a 1A/1B situation by retaining around 2.5M, which is better than a buyout (same cap hit year one, less cap hit year 2, and no year 3 or 4 cap hits). A trade also allows Vegas to control where Fleury goes (to a reasonable degree).

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Or Montreal. Or Anaheim.

I'm sure his agent told him not to put any team on his list, who already have a #1. No point really.

Apparently Eric Staal didn't put the Buffalo Sabres on his 10-team no trade list because he never thought they would trade for an aging center.

From today's The Athletic article:
Why wasn’t Buffalo on Eric Staal’s 10-team no-trade list?

The answer to the question, according to a source close to the matter, is that the 10 teams on Staal’s list were populated mostly by playoff clubs that kept calling Minnesota over the last few years to see if they could convince the centre to move at the deadline.

It never occurred to Staal or his veteran agent Rick Curran that the struggling Sabres would see fit to trade for a player who will turn 36 on Oct. 29. So you can see their thinking, there. I wouldn’t have had Buffalo on the list, either. Who saw this coming?

LeBrun: How Eric Staal was traded to Buffalo despite his no-trade list

I think the moral of the story is to just list 10 teams you wouldn't desire to play with and not try to predict what will happen. Even a team like Montreal is one serious injury away from looking for a guy who can handle 40 games in a season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Apparently Eric Staal didn't put the Buffalo Sabres on his 10-team no trade list because he never thought they would trade for an aging center.

From today's The Athletic article:

LeBrun: How Eric Staal was traded to Buffalo despite his no-trade list

I think the moral of the story is to just list 10 teams you wouldn't desire to play with and not try to predict what will happen. Even a team like Montreal is one serious injury away from looking for a guy who can handle 40 games in a season.

And this is why you don't overthink these things because this is what could happen.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This is where being a lottery team has its perks,MAF is no longer a 7 mil dollar goaltender

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
When can Seattle start making trades and acquiring picks/players?

Would be hilarious if he ended up there

So yeah, we don't actually have any work for you for the first year here. So. Yeah. Just uh, you know, get ready for next season or something.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It would be more like Sharks retaining a mil on Jones for Fleury which I'd be on board for but I think Vegas can get a better deal.

That’s fair too and I think the deal I mention is the best deal they’ll get that isn’t a move for a 2nd + 3rd pick. Which the Sharks can do too, Though it will also take moving Jones or Dell the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad