LW Sean Farrell - Harvard University, NCAA (2020, 124th, MTL)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Seems to me that it's hard to make strong conclusions about Farrell's season. He did exactly what he was supposed to do in the USHL, which is dominate.

There are no real historical equivalents here, because this season was so unusual. He was supposed to be in Harvard, so one can't really draw connections between him and other 19-year old in the history of the USHL.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Seems to me that it's hard to make strong conclusions about Farrell's season. He did exactly what he was supposed to do in the USHL, which is dominate.

There are no real historical equivalents here, because this season was so unusual. He was supposed to be in Harvard, so one can't really draw connections between him and other 19-year old in the history of the USHL.

Yep. Farrell is too good for the USHL, especially on another absolutely loaded Chicago Steel team. He dominated as you'd hope, but I wouldn't read too much into his season right now, even as a fan of Farrell's game.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Yep. Farrell is too good for the USHL, especially on another absolutely loaded Chicago Steel team. He dominated as you'd hope, but I wouldn't read too much into his season right now, even as a fan of Farrell's game.
I agree that the USHL isn't the best league out there, but what he did was impressive none the less. he was consistent night in night out. Also with the Covid situation, the USHL was a little stronger than usual, he wasn't alone in the situation where he was eligible to play his NCAA season but his team called the season off.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I agree that the USHL isn't the best league out there, but what he did was impressive none the less. he was consistent night in night out. Also with the Covid situation, the USHL was a little stronger than usual, he wasn't alone in the situation where he was eligible to play his NCAA season but his team called the season off.

The USHL is a very good development league, that's not the issue. It's that most anyone who's a good player and NHL prospect, like Farrell, is too good to spend a 4th year in a junior league. Of course, he didn't have another option and it's not like he wanted to be in the USHL, I'm just cautioning folks to temper expectations based on his point totals this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: montreal

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
The USHL is a very good development league, that's not the issue. It's that most anyone who's a good player and NHL prospect, like Farrell, is too good to spend a 4th year in a junior league. Of course, he didn't have another option and it's not like he wanted to be in the USHL, I'm just cautioning folks to temper expectations based on his point totals this year.
The Laffs used that #124 overall pick in the previous draft on a Chicago Steel/Harvard recruit in Nick Abruzzese. But he is smaller than Farrell, was drafted as a 20 year old, and wasn't nearly as productive in his two seasons with the team. But Hab fans continue to trash their GM while fawning over pencil neck geek Kyle Dumbass, boy wonder of the Big Smoke.

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver

Player of the Year, fwiw
USHL Announces 2020-21 Individual Player Awards

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
It will be interesting to see how he does in the NCAA next year. He had some serious potential but we gotta see how he does against some bigger guys next year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
very interested to see where he fits in the lineup for Harvard and what kind of season he has, one of the Habs most interesting prospects.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Very impressive debut, only 2 pts but could have had several more. Played top line LW on a line with his former teammate Coronato, as they were together on the top PP unit as well and saw time as a duo on the PK.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He looks like a very talented player, can be a very special player for Habs.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The Laffs used that #124 overall pick in the previous draft on a Chicago Steel/Harvard recruit in Nick Abruzzese. But he is smaller than Farrell, was drafted as a 20 year old, and wasn't nearly as productive in his two seasons with the team. But Hab fans continue to trash their GM while fawning over pencil neck geek Kyle Dumbass, boy wonder of the Big Smoke.
It's hard to give Timmins full credit for that pick. He had an earlier pick in the 4th round and selected Jack Smith a guy who's still struggling offensively in the USHL... then he picked Farrell later in the round.

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
It's hard to give Timmins full credit for that pick. He had an earlier pick in the 4th round and selected Jack Smith a guy who's still struggling offensively in the USHL... then he picked Farrell later in the round.
lol, guess you can't give credit to any scout for any late round steals because their drafts are very rarely ordered from best to worst

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
lol, guess you can't give credit to any scout for any late round steals because their drafts are very rarely ordered from best to worst
My point was, Timmins as shown to be below average for years now. However with a high volume of pick anyone can get lucky at some point. That was a good pick, but he picked so many players that don't even end up being AHL players in the 2nd,3rd, 4th, 5th round... Very hard to follow some of his selection tbh

Reactions: KristichBabych

Jul 6, 2016
My point was, Timmins as shown to be below average for years now. However with a high volume of pick anyone can get lucky at some point. That was a good pick, but he picked so many players that don't even end up being AHL players in the 2nd,3rd, 4th, 5th round... Very hard to follow some of his selection tbh

Exactly. Habs have only 4 of his picks in the line up: Gallagher, Evans, Lehkonen, Romanov.... Price is gone for a while. Caufield has been sent down to AHL today. He is head scout since 2003 !!!!!!

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

So then wouldn't he get credit for accumulating those picks?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Exactly. Habs have only 4 of his picks in the line up: Gallagher, Evans, Lehkonen, Romanov.... Price is gone for a while. Caufield has been sent down to AHL today. He is head scout since 2003 !!!!!!
He picked Subban, Pacioretty and McDonagh, but they are exiting their primes as we speak. These guys were picked 15 years ago!! Galchenyuk, KK and Sergachev all top 10 picks very mild return on the investment so far. Other then that our only 1st round picks sitll in the show are Beaulieu and Tinordi unless I'm mistaken... not exactly world beaters. All in all a very underwhelming return for the amount of quality picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad