LW Sean Farrell - Harvard University, NCAA (2020, 124th, MTL)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Highest ppg (1.91) in the USHL*, if he can keep it up, since David Hoogsteen, in the 94-95 season, who scored 40 goals, 56 assists, 96 points, in 48 games.

Thomas Vanek got pretty close in the 01-02 season, 46 goals, 45 assists, 91 points in 56 games.

*USNTDP players not included

Last edited:

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Cant help but think that noone else has ever done so much in this league because talented players usually move on before getting the chance to put those numbers up.

Still nice that he is doing well.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
It's so hard to evaluate this guy. Big numbers, but he's 19.

I recall Thomas Vanek lit up this league at 17.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
It's so hard to evaluate this guy. Big numbers, but he's 19.

I recall Thomas Vanek lit up this league at 17.
In Farrell's favor is the fact that the league is stronger than normal this year. A few players have joined each team from other leagues that are shut down due to Covid restrictions. Also there are other players like himself who are staying for an extra year because the team they committed to for college is not playing. Quality of play is probably equal to CHL leagues at this point. Scoring 2 PPG in the CHL as a 19 year old is a strong sign of a future NHL career. He's also a "young" 19 year old, having been born late in 2001.

Reactions: Habano and Fantomas

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
no way imo.
Difficult to ascertain, but in terms of points, Cole Sillinger had 53 points in 48 games in the WHL last season. A year older he has 26 points in 16 USHL games which extrapolates to 78 in 48 games. Bumping snoring rate by 50 % in junior hockey is fairly standard in top prospects. So with that example points seem worth the same in either league. I'm too lazy to look up other comparables.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Farrell should not have been the last pick of the fourth round, in my opinion. I had him exactly 50 spots higher at #74.

In a sense, you are getting a player whose better than the draft slot. I would not look at Farrell as a late 4th as opposed to a 2nd-3rd round pick that fell to the last pick of the fourth round. I don't think his odds are as long as most players picked in his draft slot. I think it's entirely possible he turns into a middle six forward in the NHL. Maybe he could maximize his upside a little higher on a second line.

Saying all that, his stats are impressive but they need to be put in context. He plays on the best team in the league, a real powerhouse. Chicago Steel are the equivalent of CSKA/SKA in Russia. They are starting to become the best team in the league just about every year. This was supposed to be a down year for them, and they are the best once again. He's also the oldest NHL prospect on the team. I think there might be one or two players on the team who are older than him, but he's pretty old for the league, given his age and ability. I haven't thought he's really dominating out there either. He's doing about what I'd expect, and then you adjust for context with the team he's on and his age to get the incredible statistical totals he's putting up.

Farrell plays a game that you can see getting less effective as it translates up to higher levels. The question with Farrell has always been how dynamic his offense is for his size/skating. His offense is pretty good, but it's not great. His size/skating is not going to keep him from the NHL, but it's probably a little below average. Good hockey sense, works hard, good defensively, but he's an undersized guy whose not a great skater and not a great scorer. There are going to be questions how his game translates.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
My impression of the USHL has always been thats it’s a much weaker and less talented league than the CHL, but “harder” to put up boxcar stats in, if that makes sense.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Farrell should not have been the last pick of the fourth round, in my opinion. I had him exactly 50 spots higher at #74.

In a sense, you are getting a player whose better than the draft slot. I would not look at Farrell as a late 4th as opposed to a 2nd-3rd round pick that fell to the last pick of the fourth round. I don't think his odds are as long as most players picked in his draft slot. I think it's entirely possible he turns into a middle six forward in the NHL. Maybe he could maximize his upside a little higher on a second line.

Saying all that, his stats are impressive but they need to be put in context. He plays on the best team in the league, a real powerhouse. Chicago Steel are the equivalent of CSKA/SKA in Russia. They are starting to become the best team in the league just about every year. This was supposed to be a down year for them, and they are the best once again. He's also the oldest NHL prospect on the team. I think there might be one or two players on the team who are older than him, but he's pretty old for the league, given his age and ability. I haven't thought he's really dominating out there either. He's doing about what I'd expect, and then you adjust for context with the team he's on and his age to get the incredible statistical totals he's putting up.

Farrell plays a game that you can see getting less effective as it translates up to higher levels. The question with Farrell has always been how dynamic his offense is for his size/skating. His offense is pretty good, but it's not great. His size/skating is not going to keep him from the NHL, but it's probably a little below average. Good hockey sense, works hard, good defensively, but he's an undersized guy whose not a great skater and not a great scorer. There are going to be questions how his game translates.

This...most over used idiom, ever.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Ripping up the USHL, recruited to Harvard, drafted by Les Canadiens, and he looks like a teen heartthrob off the cover of Tiger Beat magazine. It's good to be Sean Farrell these days,

Reactions: Stive Morgan

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Farrell has been playing centre the past few games. Listed size on the Steel roster is 5-10, 177. Same size as 2021 prospects Matt Coronato and Ryan Ufko on the Steel.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Farrell broke USHL all time assist record tonight with his 61st of the season, He will be the perfect complement to former NDTP teammate Cole Caufield with the Habs one day.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The top 4 point producers were all from the Steel, and 7 of the top 10 were from the Steel and Lumberjacks (the top 2 teams points wise in the USHL) Really wish they could have let them play the other conference though as the West had the offense as 5 of the 6 teams had 190 or more goals while no team in the east had more then 178 goals. But the top 4 goalies in the USHL were all from the East. So it would have been interesting to see how the top offenses vs the top goalies would have done over the season. The playoffs will be interesting to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad