LW Kyle Connor (2015, 17th, WPG) II

Kismet

Apr 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I AM NOT HATING ON CONNOR. I am hating on the fact that he is ready to be a top line NHL talent next season in some posts that I have seen. Also comparing him to Eichel. Even then, he is still gonna be a good player, but jeez, its like other players aren't allowed to have a better game, COMPHER was better, WERENSKI was better.

How does it impact you if people discuss the possibility of him being in the NHL next year? Or if they compare his STATS to Eichel's?

Other players are allowed to have a better game and should get the credit for doing so. But that praise might be better suited to their own threads. Running to the Connor thread to do it...seems like an attempt to diminish the kid.

Stream*

Dec 13, 2015
you must mistake me for an idiot. I know Connor is talented, more talented than Compher and Motte. BUT I know the Big10 is a garbage hockey conference this year. I would like to see people relax on him slightly.

also: you were the first to comment, "thought connor can't produce against top NCAA teams" did you watch the game? he was invisible pretty much the whole time.

I take it by the results today that Big 10 is a better conference than Hockey East?

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I AM NOT HATING ON CONNOR. I am hating on the fact that he is ready to be a top line NHL talent next season in some posts that I have seen. Also comparing him to Eichel. .

So, it offends you if someone notes that Connor is now one point back of Eichel's point total from last year (and in three-fewer games)? I ask because it shouldn't bother you if someone points out factual comparative data. It is what it is.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
So, it offends you if someone notes that Connor is now one point back of Eichel's point total from last year (and in three-fewer games)? I ask because it shouldn't bother you if someone points out factual comparative data.

no it doesn't offend me. People's lack of knowledge of conferences and talent in the NCAA is funny, though.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Connor is pretty invisible even when he's scoring lots of points. He's an opportunistic scorer and a very good one...I think with his speed and smarts he can make a career out of being one in the NHL as well. He's not similar to Dylan Larkin besides the speed though. Larkin is all over the puck and was much stronger at the same age.

I like Connor better in the offensive zone, and I love Larkin. ND did a really good job neutralizing the CCM line, no question. One game doesn't erase what Connor has done this season.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Weird, because he had 4 SOG...
http://www.ncaa.com/game/icehockey-men/d1/2016/03/25/notre-dame-michigan/boxscore

including the one I mentioned where the goalie only got a piece of the shot and it trickled by him and sat on the goal-line in the second.

I actually looked for a live, updated box score after they said it during the 2nd period and then during intermission before OT. It didn't seem right at the time. That line came alive during the extra time.

http://www.ncaa.com/game/icehockey-men/d1/2016/03/25/notre-dame-michigan/play-by-play

Shows a few shots blocked and missed.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
no it doesn't offend me. People's lack of knowledge of conferences and talent in the NCAA is funny, though.

Frequent followers of this thread have already noted the disparity in levels between B1G and the other conferences. You're bringing nothing new to the conversation. Fact: CCM is the top line in a weak conference. Fact: They still managed to produce against stiffer competition.

As you've noted, players are allowed to have good and bad games. ND did a great job neutralizing CCM all game and staying out of the box, but they ultimately failed.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Subjective analysis of conference strength aside, the reality at current is:

Kyle Connor:1.89 ppg in 37 GP
http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,25403/kyle-connor/

Jack Eichel: 1.77 ppg in 40 GP
http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,24354/jack-eichel/

Exactly no one in this thread has claimed Connor is or will be the better player, but Connor thus far is scoring at the better rate of the two in NCAA Div. 1 hockey. Those are the facts, Jack. Hope that helps.

hexrae

Jun 29, 2006
Peg City
Connor showed his speed and hands at times, but thought he was invisible most of the game. Had that one shot that trickled near the line driving the net. Compher and Werenski were easily the best players on Michigan.

I only caught some of the game but agree. Other than the first few shifts of the first period, I didn't notice him much. But again, I was only watching here and there.

Looking forward to his next game.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Connor is out pointing Eichel in the NCaa.
Connor is also a year older than Eichel was when he was doing it.
If Connor turns into the player Eichel is going to, everyone in Jetsland will be ecstatic.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Subjective analysis of conference strength aside, the reality at current is:

Kyle Connor:1.89 ppg in 37 GP
http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,25403/kyle-connor/

Jack Eichel: 1.77 ppg in 40 GP
http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,24354/jack-eichel/

Exactly no one in this thread has claimed Connor is or will be the better player, but Connor thus far is scoring at the better rate of the two in NCAA Div. 1 hockey. Those are the facts, Jack. Hope that helps.
He's older how is this comparison valid? Correct if I'm wrong but Eichel put up the best numbers of any college prospect in his draft year since Phil Kessel.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He's older how is this comparison valid? Correct if I'm wrong but Eichel put up the best numbers of any college prospect in his draft year since Phil Kessel.

being barely 1 year older isn't a big deal when you are going up against 22-24 year olds on a nightly basis.

Connor is a freshmen, not a true freshmen, but this is his first season of NCAA Hockey, and what he is doing is amazing. I agree that what Eichel did as an 18 year old is more impressive, but that gap isn't that big to me.

Also this talk about playing in a weaker conference is ridiculous. Connor isn't playing for a d3 squad here for God's sake, he is playing on the same team and in the same conference that Dylan Larkin did last year and he seems to be just a few points off of what Eichel is doing this year at the NHL level.

I barely ever see this nonsense of weaker competition when people compare OHL or QMJHL players. You go by what they have done no matter the conference as they still are playing against top competition.

Is Connor just as talented as Eichel? I always thought he was pretty damn close, and he is proving it by having one of the best freshmen season I have seen in years along with Eichel and Larkin from last year. I don't know if he plays top line next year for the Jets as they have more depth upfront than the Sabres had for Eichel to slot in, but he should be a very valuable player for them and have a similar role to what Larkin did for the Wings this year.

Connor is good, damn good. His stats are better than Eichel's were last year, conference is just an excuse to derail what he has done. What they do at the NHL level will be the true test and I believe we will find out starting next year when Kyle turns pro.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It remains to be seen what wing Connor will play with the Jets.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Stafford - Little - ???
Connor - Perreault - Burmi
Copp - Lowry - Thorburn

Looks interesting to me. Would rather replace Thorburn with Kosmachuk or De Leo, personally.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It remains to be seen what wing Connor will play with the Jets.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Stafford - Little - ???
Connor - Perreault - Burmi
Copp - Lowry - Thorburn

Looks interesting to me. Would rather replace Thorburn with Kosmachuk or De Leo, personally.

Missing Armia and Dano, and maybe a top forward from this draft. Excluding a 2016 pick...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Stafford
Connor-Burmistrov-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Dano

Petan, Thorburn, Lemieux, Kosmachuk, etc.

Crazy depth. If they nab Matthews or a Finn. :D

I think they move Stafford, and bring in Petan or maybe even Lemieux at some point. They are likely going to go with another very young team next year.

Tigerscout

Feb 21, 2016
Missing Armia and Dano, and maybe a top forward from this draft. Excluding a 2016 pick...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Stafford
Connor-Burmistrov-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Dano

Petan, Thorburn, Lemieux, Kosmachuk, etc.

Crazy depth. If they nab Matthews or a Finn. :D

I think they move Stafford, and bring in Petan or maybe even Lemieux at some point. They are likely going to go with another very young team next year.

Don't forget lipon or de Leo

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Connor is a freshmen, not a true freshmen, but this is his first season of NCAA Hockey

He's absolutely a true freshman. Ehichel was on the young side in his freshman year and Connor is on the older side which is why he's 11 months older in his freshman year but you get that no matter how you slice age groups.

Most freshman are 18 when they enter University, which Connor was. Eichel entered university at 17 and turned 18 in Oct which is just about as young as freshman get without having accelerated their high-school graduation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad