LW Kyle Connor (2015, 17th, WPG) II

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
The last thing I want to see is this kid have his offensive creativity neutered by a coach that wants him to play a "200 foot game".

He isn't lazy, and will learn with time. The focus should be on getting the most out of what he does best.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
By the way, congrats to Connor on a terrific freshman year.

38 games, 35 goals, 36 assists, 71 points (1.87 pts/game).

Ends the season on a 27-game point streak - 30 goals, 29 assists.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Playing a 200-foot game isn't bad, and by no means does it 'neuter' a player. All it means is him being defensively responsible and playing in all 3 zones. Ehlers doesn't look neutered by a 200 foot game.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The last thing I want to see is this kid have his offensive creativity neutered by a coach that wants him to play a "200 foot game".

He isn't lazy, and will learn with time. The focus should be on getting the most out of what he does best.

Agreed. We used to hear these critiques about Ehlers. Ehlers is very effective defensively because he's so fast, very smart, and makes excellent reads. He's also very effective at zone exits with great short area passes and almost always making the right decision. There's a lot more to being an effective defensive player than being a good "checker".

I think Connor will be fine with a bit of NHL coaching. He works hard and has great hockey sense, and terrific quickness and speed.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
being barely 1 year older isn't a big deal when you are going up against 22-24 year olds on a nightly basis.

Connor is a freshmen, not a true freshmen, but this is his first season of NCAA Hockey, and what he is doing is amazing. I agree that what Eichel did as an 18 year old is more impressive, but that gap isn't that big to me.

Also this talk about playing in a weaker conference is ridiculous. Connor isn't playing for a d3 squad here for God's sake, he is playing on the same team and in the same conference that Dylan Larkin did last year and he seems to be just a few points off of what Eichel is doing this year at the NHL level.

I barely ever see this nonsense of weaker competition when people compare OHL or QMJHL players. You go by what they have done no matter the conference as they still are playing against top competition.

Is Connor just as talented as Eichel? I always thought he was pretty damn close, and he is proving it by having one of the best freshmen season I have seen in years along with Eichel and Larkin from last year. I don't know if he plays top line next year for the Jets as they have more depth upfront than the Sabres had for Eichel to slot in, but he should be a very valuable player for them and have a similar role to what Larkin did for the Wings this year.

Connor is good, damn good. His stats are better than Eichel's were last year, conference is just an excuse to derail what he has done. What they do at the NHL level will be the true test and I believe we will find out starting next year when Kyle turns pro.

This is soooo dumb. You have no knowledge of the NCAA if you think this. The B1G10 is already a weaker hockey conference. They're having an even more down year with Michigan state and Minnesota having down years. There is absolutely a difference in lighting up the Big10 and lighting up hockey east. Not enough to say that Connor will not be a good player, but enough to where comparing him to Eichel and calling what Connor has done "more impressive". Lighting up Ohio state and penn state nightly isn't anywhere near the same as BC BU Harvard etc. 1-14 against NCHC is all you need to know.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I know I sound like an ass lol I should probably stop but I just can't stand Big10 hockey so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
He looked dangerous on a few shifts, but looked like an off night otherwise

North Dakota carried the play for a majority of the game.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I know I sound like an ass lol I should probably stop but I just can't stand Big10 hockey so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Don't worry bud, I'm sure no one is taking you very seriously. Its incredibly obvious how biased your opinion is :)

Stream*

Dec 13, 2015

I guess you weren't happy when Michigan and minn-Duluth crushed your imagination with wins over superior teams.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Looks good in off zone, but sure has a lot to learn in def zone vs these better teams.

There was one shift where he turned over the puck, took 3 strides and then give up on the play.... Not a Winnipeg fan but thats pretty bad

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There was one shift where he turned over the puck, took 3 strides and then give up on the play.... Not a Winnipeg fan but thats pretty bad

I think I remember the play....

End of a heavy shift, he was gassed, saw his team had numbers back and went for a line-change. His effort level is fine and consistent.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Don't worry bud, I'm sure no one is taking you very seriously. Its incredibly obvious how biased your opinion is :)

its not biased. Its just beating a dead horse. But since you egged me on, look at the facts. They got manhandled by UND, even though the game was close, shots were like 50-25. NCHC is the best conference.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I guess you weren't happy when Michigan and minn-Duluth crushed your imagination with wins over superior teams.

wait when Michigan got beat by North Dakota 5-2 and Compher scores both. Or when Minn-Duluth, who barely made the tournament, takes out a 1 seed, and battles hard against a big and tough BC team and almost ties it with 9 seconds left? Minn-Duluth isn't even in the Big10 but I have to stick up for them because they played their ***** off.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
his performance in the tournament was OK, the Big10 didn't challenge him much, IDK what to except from him at the AHL or even NHL level. Its an odd situation to call. Larkin was a more well-rounded player coming out of Michigan to me, so it will be interesting to follow him. GL to him.

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
wait when Michigan got beat by North Dakota 5-2 and Compher scores both. Or when Minn-Duluth, who barely made the tournament, takes out a 1 seed, and battles hard against a big and tough BC team and almost ties it with 9 seconds left? Minn-Duluth isn't even in the Big10 but I have to stick up for them because they played their ***** off.

cee you next tuesday friend...

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
its not biased. Its just beating a dead horse. But since you egged me on, look at the facts. They got manhandled by UND, even though the game was close, shots were like 50-25. NCHC is the best conference.

So go talk about it in the NCAA subforum.

This isn't the NCAA thread.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wait what? Still went PPG in the playoff, what more can you expect?
Stop be mad an chill, Connor eat debrusk everyday ;)

I dunno... Debrusk got a bit over a point/game in the WHL this season, and already has an assist in two playoff games. :towel:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad