LW Kyle Connor (2015, 17th, WPG) II

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm pretty confident Connor will have a better career than all of those guys excluding Barzal and Boeser and maybe Aho.

I think in a top10 right now in no particular order it would be McDavid, Eichel, Barzal, Marner, Rantanen, Boeser, Provorov, Werenski, Connor, Aho and I'm not sure if that'll change much over the coming years. That's just my opinion though.

You could be very right on that. I'm just not sure we'll know for a few years. I just recall that everyone thought Jeff Skinner would go top 3-4 in 2010 after 1.5 years. While he may still be in discussion, there are many guys who would go ahead of him now 7 years later.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kyle's progression and the time it took him to finally show the upside some of his fans saw in him from the U of Michigan is not unexpected. Not many 20 year olds jump straight out of 1 year of US college hockey into the NHL. The year at in the AHL was completely necessary. He was always a great skater that had a unique nose for the net. I actually thought he could might play Center one day, but right now I can see him being an elite goal scoring game breaking winger. Regardless it was a Terrific pick at #17. Sometimes you get lucky in a draft, I recall Chevy having a smile when the phone rang at the draft table. I would have hung up too. He stood out like a sore thumb to me too.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Kyle's progression and the time it took him to finally show the upside some of his fans saw in him from the U of Michigan is not unexpected. Not many 20 year olds jump straight out of 1 year of US college hockey into the NHL. The year at in the AHL was completely necessary. He was always a great skater that had a unique nose for the net. I actually thought he could might play Center one day, but right now I can see him being an elite goal scoring game breaking winger. Regardless it was a Terrific pick at #17. Sometimes you get lucky in a draft, I recall Chevy having a smile when the phone rang at the draft table. I would have hung up too. He stood out like a sore thumb to me too.

Well, even at the time, Connor had fell in the draft. I'm not sure why, but even at the time it was a great value pick for where they took him (much like Vesalainen was last year)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well, even at the time, Connor had fell in the draft. I'm not sure why, but even at the time it was a great value pick for where they took him (much like Vesalainen was last year)

Yep. Very similar. I didn't know as much about Vesalainen, but in my own draft rankings when the #16 pick came around, and there was Barzal, Connor, and Konecny were all still available. I was wishing I was a GM. I had them all much higher. I would have grabbed all 3 by moving hell and water to get picks 16, 17, 18 when they slid. Just Look at Chevy's smile.

monsieurthibz

Oct 8, 2016
Montreal
Patrik Barkov said:
40+35 first line winger. We have too many things to get excited about as Jets fans. Upcoming playoffs, our young core, our prospects, we have an actual goalie, our captain is probably gonna score 90 points, the guys are having boxing matches during practice. It's like christmas!

And I'm here, trying to find something exciting out of Montréal's depth chart..

..still looking....

......still looking.....

.......................................you get it.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
love this kid, honestly probably one of my all-time favs, one of the first player threads I ever started...I remember fighting with so many people back in his Youngstown days - he was the best player I have ever seen play in the USHL - I couldn't believe how many people just were missing the boat with this kid...too many excuses like he was too thin, needs to work on his quickness, whatever stupid thing they could think of. I just saw a scoring monster who could dish it nearly as well as snipe it...

I had Connor inside my top 8 for the 2015 draft, very proud of him to see him trending well towards those rankings - and a 30 goal season hopefully by next game.

ALSO A 3RD STAR OF THE WEEK IN THE NHL THIS WEEK!!!!!! Congrats kid.

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
love this kid, honestly probably one of my all-time favs, one of the first player threads I ever started...I remember fighting with so many people back in his Youngstown days - he was the best player I have ever seen play in the USHL - I couldn't believe how many people just were missing the boat with this kid...too many excuses like he was too thin, needs to work on his quickness, whatever stupid thing they could think of. I just saw a scoring monster who could dish it nearly as well as snipe it...

I had Connor inside my top 8 for the 2015 draft, very proud of him to see him trending well towards those rankings - and a 30 goal season hopefully by next game.

ALSO A 3RD STAR OF THE WEEK IN THE NHL THIS WEEK!!!!!! Congrats kid.

#81 in your program and #1 in your heart amirite?

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Which is very weird as he was nowhere near the puck and Perrault snapping a 19 game scoring drought was kinda big deal.
I know I just watched the highlight of it as well - it flashed on NHL Network twice that he got his 30th goal...not sure what the hell happened but it had to be that goal because all night it never came up as 30 for him until they cored #6...

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Connor 29 goals, DeBrincat 27 goals - both have 3 games left, either of them can still "win it" .
Boeser has 29 also but he got himself injured awhile back.

Connor plays his 80th game Tuesday and DeBrincat's 80th game is on Wednesday.

Connor does have a better shot on scoring most goals by a rookie this season,
mainly because he plays in the first line and plays 2-3 minutes more per game
what DeBrincat does. - but still, its going to be interesting race -

I hope Brinksy wins this one :)

kyle o connor

enjoying first line highlife
Apr 8, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
John_Connor_(Edward_Furlong).jpg

And we still have this guy down in the farmleague waiting for his chance

Reactions: Jets88

Jets88

Jul 1, 2016
Connor 29 goals, DeBrincat 27 goals - both have 3 games left, either of them can still "win it" .
Boeser has 29 also but he got himself injured awhile back.

Connor plays his 80th game Tuesday and DeBrincat's 80th game is on Wednesday.

Connor does have a better shot on scoring most goals by a rookie this season,
mainly because he plays in the first line and plays 2-3 minutes more per game
what DeBrincat does. - but still, its going to be interesting race -

I hope Brinksy wins this one :)

Connor won’t be playing an 80th game this season as he was sent down to the AHL earlier for a little bit. I think he’s played 72 games so far but I could be wrong.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Connor won’t be playing an 80th game this season as he was sent down to the AHL earlier for a little bit. I think he’s played 72 games so far but I could be wrong.

Yes, that is true. Winnipeg plays their 80th game Tuesday and Chicago Wednesday
i think my original thought was that, but it came out wrong :)

73 games ;)

Reactions: Jets88

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Congrats Connor, 30 for you. - i bow to you -

This season has been one hell of a standpoint from rookies,
the last time this many rookies scored this many goals&points?

Almost 40 rookies scored 20 points or more this season
(29 last season, 20 before that) that's nuts, crazy, loopy.
56 rookies scored 10 or more points.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Connor has a very well rounded skill set.......Great hands, speed, great release on the shot.
Even more impressive is watching him without the puck - great instincts, as far as positioning and also finding the open spaces on O. Terrific young player, for years to come.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad