LW Kyle Connor (2015, 17th, WPG) II

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He's absolutely a true freshman. Ehichel was on the young side in his freshman year and Connor is on the older side which is why he's 11 months older in his freshman year but you get that no matter how you slice age groups.

Most freshman are 18 when they enter University, which Connor was. Eichel entered university at 17 and turned 18 in Oct which is just about as young as freshman get without having accelerated their high-school graduation.

Agreed.

If Connor isn't a "true" freshman, then neither are White or Boeser. They are just a couple of months younger than Connor. They all started college at age 18.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Gets the primary assist to help tie up the game and extend his point streak. Against a strong UND team too

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Pretty sure that ties Eichel's total from last year. Crazy how this happened in back-to-back years for freshmen.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Pretty sure that ties Eichel's total from last year. Crazy how this happened in back-to-back years for freshmen.

Yeah it does, although obviously Eichel's is much more impressive at a year younger. Almost makes me wish the Oilers wouldn't have traded 16 and 33 for Reinhart and would have taken Connor and Blackwood, but of course hindsight is 20/20 and I don't think anyone expected Connor to look this good this season, and I also don't think he was the guy they were gonna take anyways.

Pretty baffling that Boston didn't take him though with at least one of their picks.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Looks good in off zone, but sure has a lot to learn in def zone vs these better teams.

The thing about him is Michigan had one of the weakest schedules in the country. His defensive problems really show against the top competition. A great player but could benefit from another year defensively.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I don't expect a signing immediately. Connor's a rare exception to the ELC slide rule; being born between Sept 16th and Dec 31st means that if you turn 20 the year you signed your ELC, one NHL game will burn a year.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I don't expect a signing immediately. Connor's a rare exception to the ELC slide rule; being born between Sept 16th and Dec 31st means that if you turn 20 the year you signed your ELC, one NHL game will burn a year.
Burning an ELC year to ensure you get a player signed isn't a bad deal for the club. Granted there isn't much chance of it happening with Connor but Wheeler went UFA specifically because Arizona refused to burn the ELC year.,

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY

I mean yeah it sucks to burn a year off his ELC, but if the player is willing to sign you get it done.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

Interesting,, obviously he will want to sign but the Jets will want to wait. Doesn't seem to fit their MO to burn the year for 8 pointless games

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Thought he looked pretty dangerous. Thinks and plays the game at a very high pace. Will take some time to adjust to the NHL, but I think he'll be a dandy.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Didn't the Jets burn a year on Copp? If so, I don't see why they'd hesitate with Connor.

Little difference between what their salary could be in 3 years. Copp may not even be in the NHL, where Connor could get 6 mill potentially

Kismet

Apr 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Little difference between what their salary could be in 3 years. Copp may not even be in the NHL, where Connor could get 6 mill potentially

I understand that their salaries should be significantly different. I guess the way I see it is that it's the higher potential player that I'd be willing to burn the year on.

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
If Connor wants to play, you give him the contract, doesn't matter if it burns a year. If you don't you could end up in a situation like Blake Wheeler was in when he was drafted by Arizona.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
On the pro side, if Chevy did sign Connor to an ELC this year, it would mean that he'd have one less year of NHL play on his resume when contract demands come up after his ELC is done.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
On the pro side, if Chevy did sign Connor to an ELC this year, it would mean that he'd have one less year of NHL play on his resume when contract demands come up after his ELC is done.

That's very true, and in 2 years if you have to give him a massive deal, that's probably not a bad thing .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If he wants to sign, sign him. Get him acquainted with the team, show him what a pro practice looks like, let him see how much harder the NHL game is, give him his off-season training priorities, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad