Injury Report: Loui Eriksson (Update 11/5 - In the lineup!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
The more concussions an individual has, the longer the initial period of non-play. Additionally, the player is at greater risk for another concussion within 10 days of the first concussion. With Louie having at least his second concussion of his life (who knows if he was concussed prior to his Dallas stint), he will be out at least one month. Concussion management is significantly more complicated than the basic guidelines I posted. All I'm sayin' is that when Chia stated that he will be out indefinitely, and knowing that this is at least his second concussion, his timeline is going to be greater than one month.

I know the argument is going to be that we have limited information. All I can say to you is hide and watch.

There are so many variables and biological differences in people as to how any given individual's body/brain recovers from a concussion. Of course there is a standard protocol, and head injuries are treated with more caution these days (for good reason).

Still... there are different grades of concussion, and a wide range of symptoms that depend somewhat on which section of the brain is most affected by the bruising sustained in a concussion.

People recover at different paces. Sometimes long-term symptoms can linger on for awhile, especially for those with a severe concussion in their past -- or a number of more mild ones -- but OTOH sometimes symptoms disappear more quickly than expected.

Toews suffered a mild concussion from the non-malicious Boychuk hit in the SCF... and while it WAS deemed a mild concussion, obviously Toews was back to normal in short order.

Right now it's tough to predict how the Scott hit will affect Loui long-term. Perhaps i am being overly optimistic here, but i am encouraged by the fact that he was not knocked unconscious by the hit.

That does NOT mean the injury can't have serious implications, but it obviously never hurts when we fans are still in wait-and-see mode. It at least gives us a reason to believe that it may not be a 1+ year ordeal.

That's my 2 cents. Hoping for the least bad scenario; and this is a good opportunity for the league to really make a statement.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
There are so many variables and biological differences in people as to how any given individual's body/brain recovers from a concussion. Of course there is a standard protocol, and head injuries are treated with more caution these days (for good reason).

Still... there are different grades of concussion, and a wide range of symptoms that depend somewhat on which section of the brain is most affected by the bruising sustained in a concussion.

People recover at different paces. Sometimes long-term symptoms can linger on for awhile, especially for those with a severe concussion in their past -- or a number of more mild ones -- but OTOH sometimes symptoms disappear more quickly than expected.

Toews suffered a mild concussion from the non-malicious Boychuk hit in the SCF... and while it WAS deemed a mild concussion, obviously Toews was back to normal in short order.

Right now it's tough to predict how the Scott hit will affect Loui long-term. Perhaps i am being overly optimistic here, but i am encouraged by the fact that he was not knocked unconscious by the hit.

That does NOT mean the injury can't have serious implications, but it obviously never hurts when we fans are still in wait-and-see mode. It at least gives us a reason to believe that it may not be a 1+ year ordeal.

That's my 2 cents. Hoping for the least bad scenario; and this is a good opportunity for the league to really make a statement.

I'm pretty sure if it wasn't the SCF Toews would had missed quite a bit more time.

Say what you want about today's testing but if a player wants to play he can and will still play...

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Frm CS

"Loui's doing okay, I guess, for a guy who suffered a concussion," said Bruins Head Coach Claude Julien. "It’s the same thing – you have a good day, you have less of a good day – and it’s early on but we’re just, like always, you keep your fingers crossed that it’s going to get better sooner than later for his sake."

"I don’t think we know the severity of [the concussion] yet and you never know about those things until some days go by and you see if he’s improving or not," Julien had said on October 24 when Eriksson was diagnosed.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins
Coach said Loui Eriksson was at the rink today which he noted as a good sign ^CS

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins
Coach said Loui Eriksson was at the rink today which he noted as a good sign ^CS

nasa-celebration.gif

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Looks like he'll be back in the lineup in 14-20 days. Start skating a week from now, gotta give him another to get completely symptom free and back at it.

Getting better really quick, I thought it was going to be real bad. Great news. :) Really encouraging news that he was out and about today.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Suspect we won't see him until the last half if November depending on how things go when he starts riding the bike and skating.

No way to really predict-hopefully all goes well in his recovery and hopefully Scott gets hit hard by Shanahan.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
Ever since the incident with Loui, I hate the Buffalo Sabres! I want revenge when we play them again. I hope Chara goes after that piece of jajaja Scott! Actually Id like to see our whole team play with an enormous amount of passion and fire in that game. A few fights too no doubt.

gsr

Nov 17, 2005
Chara does not seek and destroy, except for once against Pacioretty.

Agreed, but that wasn't the point - re-read the post I was replying to. My point was that a big height differential doesn't guarantee a nasty head shot when contact is made, Chara being a perfect example as he obviously isn't giving everyone he hits a concussion...

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
It's a long season. I hope the team lets him get 100% before letting him back on the ice, and based on past players getting concussions the team does just that so I don't expect different this time.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Ever since the incident with Loui, I hate the Buffalo Sabres! I want revenge when we play them again. I hope Chara goes after that piece of jajaja Scott! Actually Id like to see our whole team play with an enormous amount of passion and fire in that game. A few fights too no doubt.

You didn't hate them back when Adam Mair did the same thing to David Krejci? Or were you not a fan back then

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It's a long season. I hope the team lets him get 100% before letting him back on the ice, and based on past players getting concussions the team does just that so I don't expect different this time.

Agreed, I recall when Savvy returned against the Flyers in the playoffs, clearly not ready for prime time...I think the B`s learned their lesson, no matter how important the game is, a players long term health far more valuable, and games in October/November, although meaningful, are not close to being worth rushing anyone returning from concussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad