Injury Report: Loui Eriksson (Update 11/5 - In the lineup!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
My favourite part of the "physics" argument is that these giants haven't spent their lives and playing careers surrounded by other people that tall.

They're accustomed to checking players half a foot shorter than them, so if "physics" really were the problem, they'd be headshotting all the time.

Exactly, for people to chalk that hit up to scott being taller it's pretty ridiculous.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It`s easy for the NHL to hand out a suspension to a Torres, a repeat offender, that`s an easy call. If they really want to send a message, it`s bloody time they send that same message to those who haven`t been before them in other hearings involving other hits/plays, THAT, is how you start to change....screw this previous offender BS

Give him 20-25, "maybe" that will send the message to those with a previously clean record that the first one isn`t a freebie

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Dumb.

Clearly he targeted the head and followed through with the elbow. Any other discussion or reasoning is....dumb.

Not to mention that it was from the blind side. By the very definition of what he did, it was a predatory type of hit. Which is exactly what the league is cracking down on. Anyone trying to justify it clearly hasn't been watching hockey for the past 3-4 seasons. This is going to get called every time, and the player will get an unpaid vacation.

Alaska

40 Below
Jul 25, 2012
Fairbanks, AK
You are preaching to the choir. So far we have about 36 hours worth of data and that's why I said there is not enough information to guess any timeline.

The more concussions an individual has, the longer the initial period of non-play. Additionally, the player is at greater risk for another concussion within 10 days of the first concussion. With Louie having at least his second concussion of his life (who knows if he was concussed prior to his Dallas stint), he will be out at least one month. Concussion management is significantly more complicated than the basic guidelines I posted. All I'm sayin' is that when Chia stated that he will be out indefinitely, and knowing that this is at least his second concussion, his timeline is going to be greater than one month.

I know the argument is going to be that we have limited information. All I can say to you is hide and watch.

amazingcrwns

drop the puck
Feb 13, 2003
Western MA
Visit site
The more concussions an individual has, the longer the initial period of non-play. Additionally, the player is at greater risk for another concussion within 10 days of the first concussion. With Louie having at least his second concussion of his life (who knows if he was concussed prior to his Dallas stint), he will be out at least one month. Concussion management is significantly more complicated than the basic guidelines I posted. All I'm sayin' is that when Chia stated that he will be out indefinitely, and knowing that this is at least his second concussion, his timeline is going to be greater than one month.

I know the argument is going to be that we have limited information. All I can say to you is hide and watch.

Sorry Alaska, but I just can't agree with the statement that he will be out at least 1 month because he's had a concussion in the past. You have certainly provided a lot of valuable information, and I appreciate you passing it along, but I just can't get on board with that timeline... is there something new in the CBA that states if a player is diagnosed with a 2nd concussion that he has to sit for a month?

If Eriksson wakes up today without any symptoms, and goes through the next 7 days without any symptoms I think he'd be able to start the necessary testing. Over the next week, if he passes all the checkpoints without any signs of any concussion symptoms, I don't believe the team will have to keep him on the bench until November 23rd.

I'm not in any way saying I expect him back sooner, all I'm trying to say is that the only thing dictating the timeline is Eriksson's recovery. He could be symptom free right now and remain that way going forward, or he could have symptoms that continue to linger on and on and on. For Eriksson's sake, I hope he's symptom free, and if he's not, I hope he has a fast and full recovery. He won't be playing hockey before he's ready to do so, I hope he listens to his doctors, and I hope we see him back on the ice in the not too distant future.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

This isn't necessarily true. Bergy's worst concussion was his first/second.

When he got his last two he missed only a couple of weeks (and said he could tell they weren't nearly as bad as the others).

I think other factors come into play and everyone is different.

I think what could make this one bad is the fact that Louie didn't see it coming and his head whipped around pretty bad with impact.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Not sure if this is was posted elsewhere in this thread or not, but I just noticed it.

Buffalo Sabres are a complete embarrassment, from John Scott to owner

The hit was so clearly intended to do what it did...that it leads one to ask a very simple question:

How stupid is Scott, really?

All the evidence you've ever needed came as he was sitting in the box, waiting for word that of course he was getting five and a match penalty. He literally said, incredulous that this was the call, "Headshot?"

With a question mark.

nazartp

Apr 5, 2006

It's all valid information, however, none of it leads to a conclusion that it will be a month at least. I just do not see any indication for it nor the history of other players proves to be so. Bergy's 4th concussion - if I remember correctly - took him about a week to recover. That's all I'm saying.

Anyhow, if Loui needs a month, so be it, as long as he gets back healthy.

Dangler87

Nov 14, 2007
Bergeron, Marchand, Krug and McQuaid were all out on the ice when that happened. Thank God McQuaid was on the ice to jump at Scott. Imagine if it was someone like Hamilton out there instead of McQuaid...who would've jumped at Scott? Bergeron?...that's just a sad scenario.

So much respect for McQuaid and let's hope Loui has a speedy recovery

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Too many great Bruins had to deal with cheap shots that resulted in concussions... Loui is the latest...

The good news is that he has a lot of time to recover before the playoffs. Almost 6 months.

The bad news is that it may not be enough time...

Get well Loui.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Here's hoping this is like Marchand's dinger last year...I think he only missed a couple games.

Yep, same with Bergy. And he has a huge history. Marshy's looked really bad, too. As someone said earlier, Kronwall was taken off the ice in a stretcher, and was back in less than a week.

It's what sucks with concussions. You just don't know. Matter of time. Gotta give him the time he needs and then some, though. We can troop on for a while without him, thanks to our depth this season. Really have to hope he heals up relatively quick, though, he's a big part of our team.

Alaska

40 Below
Jul 25, 2012
Fairbanks, AK
I admit that I may be naive regarding professional sports and how quickly they try to return players to the active roster. I guess when you have $Millions attached to your name, the player can be used right up until he can't be used anymore. Basically what is best for the team is not necessarily best for the player or vice versa.

I was applying standards that I use for average everyday folk and applying them to the professionals. My bad.

All the best for Louie. GO BRUINS!!!!!

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I admit that I may be naive regarding professional sports and how quickly they try to return players to the active roster. I guess when you have $Millions attached to your name, the player can be used right up until he can't be used anymore. Basically what is best for the team is not necessarily best for the player or vice versa.

I was applying standards that I use for average everyday folk and applying them to the professionals. My bad.

All the best for Louie. GO BRUINS!!!!!

The NHL has a strict concussion protocol, and you can bet the Bruins, with their experience with concussions (Savard, Bergeron), will follow that protocol to the letter.

You can't diagnose concussions from a distance. Each is as unique as the humans they affect. When Eriksson is ready to return, he will, and not one moment sooner.

Alaska

40 Below
Jul 25, 2012
Fairbanks, AK
You can't diagnose concussions from a distance. Each is as unique as the humans they affect. When Eriksson is ready to return, he will, and not one moment sooner.

Artemis: Let's be very clear.

NOTHING that I've posted addressed diagnosing Ericksson. The term diagnose is used when the provider has taken a history and examined the patient. The team physician or the Buffalo physicians diagnosed Louie.
NOTHING that I've posted addressed treatment. This means that I have not suggested that he needs to have rehabilitative exercises or medications for symptoms.

What I did post was Return to Play Protocols published by the American Academy of Neurology that are used nationwide in the U.S. by thousands of providers to treat athletes of all ages. If the NHL has different return to play protocols, then that is their perogative. The only reason for my posting was there was lots of speculation on when Louie would return. I only provided information that if applied to the average non-professional athlete, with a second concussion (and you need to go way back in the thread to see the first part), would mean they would be out for at least one month. ;)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
can you guys take the discussion of Scott and the suspension to one of the other threads about this. This thread is for updates on Loui and everytime I see it bumped I think there's new info but instead it's just people talking about Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad