2023-24 Calder Memorial Trophy finalists: Connor Bedard, Brock Faber, Luke Hughes

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Bedard will probably win due to preseason hype. But Faber was for sure the more impactful rookie in the NHL.

Connor Bedard is going to win. He has to. Although the Calder is tainted because McDavid didn't win it, so who knows how voting will go. If anyone else other than Bedard wins it, its just as much as a sham as McDavids year.

I look at it quite the opposite. If Faber wins it means the voters were actually paying attention.

Reactions: cptjeff

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
edited my post to make easier sense.

HF people were wrong about Bedard having a better season then Hughes this year.
The overwhelming majority of posters here did not believe he'd be better than Hughes this season.

Better rookie season? Sure. Better career? Yes. But the majority didn't assume he'd have a better 23-24 season.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The 18 year old 1C who was nearly playing PPG on a team that scored 1.33 GF/G without him and was the 2nd worst team in the league will win the Calder. Faber had an awesome year however and Minny fans should be excited about him going forward.

Reactions: wetcoast

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Well yeah Bedard is going to win with his 100…..checks notes….61 points……61? Really? Ok

While you are checking your notes, do you mind checking who led the Blackhawks in goals, assists and points? And while you are at it, do you mind checking how the Blackhawks did while he was out for 14 games? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: wetcoast

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
even if he didn't deserve it , theres no way in hell the NHL would give it to anyone but Bedard anyway

The NHL is not the one voting on the award, it's the PHWA.

Should be a close vote as Bedard/Faber should be 1-2 on most ballots.

Both are deserving, albeit in a down year, but I think Bedard rightfully takes it.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
While you are checking your notes, do you mind checking who led the Blackhawks in goals, assists and points? And while you are at it, do you mind checking how the Blackhawks did while he was out for 14 games? Thanks in advance.
It’s ok. Another 11 points and he could have been as good as Ron Flockhart’s rookie season. That ain’t too shabby.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Faber had a fantastic rookie season, and had the luxury of being in a much more favourable situation than Bedard, but this is still Bedard's trophy imo. 0.9ppg on one of the worst rosters I've ever had the misfortune of watching.

And congrats to Luke for having the right last name.

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
I've read many people saying Hughes is there because of his last name, but haven't seen any explanation why. I don't watch the Devils and stats wise his season is impressive. What is bad about his play, his defense? Did Nemec play considerably better?

Reactions: xigon

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
And congrats to Luke for having the right last name.
And finishing 2nd in rookie scoring while playing solid all around hockey.

54.5% Corsi (+4.1 rel)
52.5% xG% (+0.1 rel)

I've read many people saying Hughes is there because of his last name, but haven't seen any explanation why. I don't watch the Devils and stats wise his season is impressive. What is bad about his play, his defense? Did Nemec play considerably better?
Because people are idiots.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
And finishing 2nd in rookie scoring while playing solid all around hockey.

54.5% Corsi (+4.1 rel)
52.5% xG% (+0.1 rel)

That's fair, my shot was a little unnecessary hah. Was never super impressed watching him the few times I did this season, felt too passive, but I get it as a rookie D-man. Faber felt more settled in. Thought maybe Koch could have been there in 3rd.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Kochetkov should have been 3rd nominee not Hughes

Hughes got nomination because of his last name

We'll see the voting breakdown after its awarded. It's possible that Kochetkov wasn't that far behind. Sometimes we overreact like there's this cavernous difference between 3rd and 4th. Dahlin/Heiskanen were relatively close 3rd/4th in 2019, ditto Keller/Connor in 2018.

Albeit we usually see some funky votes among the writers (somebody gave Josh Harding a vote when he was still eligible for Calder the following year) and I wonder if some of them pushed Kochetkov down simply because he almost hit the Calder GP cap last year.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
pretty easy selection here. bedard for the win. both dmen were good enough to be runner up

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Some are throwing shade at Faber because his offensive production dipped during the last month of the season even though he was playing with 2 broken ribs.

Unlike Bedard, he toughed it out because his team needed him.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Bedard was 49th among forwards (minimum 60+ games played) in points per game, Faber was 27th among dmen (granted there are fewer dmen).

Faber also played all situations, took the tough matchups, played well defensively, played a ton of PK minutes, etc.

Honestly, Faber should be winning this. Bedard put up more points, but for his position, he didn't necessarily produce more, and offensive production is really the only argument in his favour. I'd take the #1 all situation dman who lead his team in minutes over the one-dimensional pretty good but not elite scorer. Bedard very very likely has the better career mind you, but I'm just looking at the rookie seasons.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The NHL is not the one voting on the award, it's the PHWA.

Should be a close vote as Bedard/Faber should be 1-2 on most ballots.

Both are deserving, albeit in a down year, but I think Bedard rightfully takes it.
I don't see any logical or defendable reason to have anyone either than Bedard 1 and 2 on each and every ballot.

None.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Bedard was 49th among forwards (minimum 60+ games played) in points per game, Faber was 27th among dmen (granted there are fewer dmen).

Faber also played all situations, took the tough matchups, played well defensively, played a ton of PK minutes, etc.

Honestly, Faber should be winning this. Bedard put up more points, but for his position, he didn't necessarily produce more, and offensive production is really the only argument in his favour. I'd take the #1 all situation dman who lead his team in minutes over the one-dimensional pretty good but not elite scorer. Bedard very very likely has the better career mind you, but I'm just looking at the rookie seasons.
Bedard was an elite score for a rookie given his supporting cast though.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
So your reason he deserves it is simply your opinion that he had a better season.
It's a fact. Remember when McDavid didn't win the Calder despite being the best hockey player since Mario Lemieux? If you can't play the full season, you're not the best rookie. Faber not only did that, he excelled. I think lots of hockey writers will vote Faber assuming Bedard will win, because they know he's the more deserving candidate this season. Nothing against Bedard, he'll likely make an All-Star team or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad