TV: Lost

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Haha yeah... I guess it all depends on what you look for in a story. If you're looking for endless twists and like shows like Homeland, Scandal, 24, Sons of Anarchy, etc, then this show could really be up someone's alley. It's a "turn your brain off and ride the roller coaster" show.
Just like 75% of the shows you listed...

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Your opinion is bad.

I live in a world where Big Bang Theory & 2 1/2 Men are megahits. I don't expect everyone agrees with me when it comes to tastes, let alone what constitutes passable writing, or how important a cohesive/consistent vision is. Or tolerance to nonsense and loose ends.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Currently re-watching with my girlfriend cause she hasn't seen it before. Midway season 5 going on right now.

Knowing/remembering most of the plot twists doesn't take away too much from the enjoyment. Although I mostly enjoy seeing my gf react to the twists and feeling the same feels I did 7 years ago. After this we're watching Breaking Bad since she hasn'tšeen that either.

That's exactly how I felt watching with my roommate. Seeing her reactions to the twists and deaths I knew were coming was quite enjoyable.

We're also doing BrBa next...I've seen it (though not since it aired) and she hasn't. Should be fun.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really loved the first two seasons. Watching for the first time was fantastic. I couldn't wait to see what was in the hatch. The show got progressively worse over time which I guess is understandable. On my re-watch I absolutely hated the final season.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Haha yeah... I guess it all depends on what you look for in a story. If you're looking for endless twists and like shows like Homeland, Scandal, 24, Sons of Anarchy, etc, then this show could really be up someone's alley. It's a "turn your brain off and ride the roller coaster" show.

Whatever you think of Lost. It had its weaknesses & could be better at times. But it really doesn't fit in a row of series that you listed.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I'm going to do a rewatch in a few years when I've forgotten more of it. One of my favorites of all time.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The writers basically wrote themselves into situations, too many situations if you're complaining, that they couldn't write themselves out of to the satisfaction of all of the audience.

My biggest peeve isn't at all with the show nor with the writers, because I'm actually so glad about all the "mystery", for lack of a better word, that they wrote into the story. No, my peeve is actually with the audience that complained about not getting answers to every single question that the series created in the minds of the viewers. Many of the questions were answered, and those that weren't, it doesn't really matter. The entertainment was the journey, not a pot full of answers at the end of the road. And damn, it was the most marvelous and involving journey I've ever had with any series.

My feelings exactly. If you get really wrapped up in needing answers to everything then you're going to be disappointed. But it was a great, great journey. Einstein said that imagination is more important than knowledge. They left some things to the imagination of the viewers, nothing wrong with that.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
My feelings exactly. If you get really wrapped up in needing answers to everything then you're going to be disappointed. But it was a great, great journey. Einstein said that imagination is more important than knowledge. They left some things to the imagination of the viewers, nothing wrong with that.

+1

I didn't really care about getting answers to everything and I think it's even better that they leave some things to your imagination/speculation. But, yeah people got mad since they didn't get some answers they wanted and that's why the series finale got so much crap. IMO the finale (especially what happens outside the island) is amazing and is one of the most beautiful endings ever. Kinda left me with same feelings as Six Feet Under. Just beautiful ending.

Now my re-watch has reached halfway season 6 so really looking forward to that finale (and seeing my gfs reaction :))

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
So I'm doing a rewatch and naturally some questions were popping up. :laugh:

I have one question in particular:

In S4E3 "The Economist" :

When Daniel is conducting his time experiment with the rocket, the rocket takes about 31 minutes longer to arrive one the island than it normally should which is due to the time dilation on the island.

So if time moves about 60 times slower on the island than on the outside world, why is there not a huge time gap when they return home? They've been a little over 100 days on the island, 100 days * 60 = 6000 days or close to 16 years. They should have returned 16 years later to the outside world, not a 100 days. Can someone explain this to me, it's driving me nuts. :laugh:

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
So I'm doing a rewatch and naturally some questions were popping up. :laugh:

I have one question in particular:

In S4E3 "The Economist" :

When Daniel is conducting his time experiment with the rocket, the rocket takes about 31 minutes longer to arrive one the island than it normally should which is due to the time dilation on the island.

So if time moves about 60 times slower on the island than on the outside world, why is there not a huge time gap when they return home? They've been a little over 100 days on the island, 100 days * 60 = 6000 days or close to 16 years. They should have returned 16 years later to the outside world, not a 100 days. Can someone explain this to me, it's driving me nuts. :laugh:

It isn't that island time is moving 31 minutes slower than off-island time, it's that island time is 31 minutes behind off-island time. Both island time and off-island time have 24 hours in a day; one is just 31 minutes behind the other.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
The real burning question in Lost since Hurley was rich why did he have a disc man instead of an Ipod? It was 2004 after all and the first Ipod came out in 2001 yet he'll buy a gold Jesus and not an Ipod.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
He's staying humble & true to his roots.

He was all blinged out with his hummer and new house... that burned down:

model_hummer_h2-4.jpg

pinky ring and all:

hurley+bling.jpg

It's just one of those weird little things in the show that you just go wtf

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007
I'm considering doing a rewatch of this sometime in 2018. It's been so long since I've watched or read anything on LOST, so it should feel very fresh.

In the meantime, did anybody write any books on LOST after the show ended? Whether it was a recap, going over theories and what was and was not answered, etc? I'm on a reading kick and something LOST related would be awesome.

Thanks!

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I'm considering doing a rewatch of this sometime in 2018. It's been so long since I've watched or read anything on LOST, so it should feel very fresh.

In the meantime, did anybody write any books on LOST after the show ended? Whether it was a recap, going over theories and what was and was not answered, etc? I'm on a reading kick and something LOST related would be awesome.

Thanks!
It was just taken off of Netflix unfortunately, but if you have the collection you'd be safe.

I've been rewatching it the past few months and I actually appreciate it more now.

A lost encyclopedia was made which is fairly comprehensive, and I also bought a book on the philosophy of lost. Unfortunately haven't read it yet.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It was just taken off of Netflix unfortunately, but if you have the collection you'd be safe.

I've been rewatching it the past few months and I actually appreciate it more now.

A lost encyclopedia was made which is fairly comprehensive, and I also bought a book on the philosophy of lost. Unfortunately haven't read it yet.

TV critic Alan Sepinwall has a book where he talks about a dozen or so dramas that changed television from around the late 90s to 2010 or so. Lost has a big write up in there. I'd take a look at that. It speaks more to the influence of the show and its cultural legacy,and not the plot details and theories.

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007

Was it "Ultimate Lost and Philosophy: Think Together, Die Alone" ?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The real burning question in Lost since Hurley was rich why did he have a disc man instead of an Ipod? It was 2004 after all and the first Ipod came out in 2001 yet he'll buy a gold Jesus and not an Ipod.
I don't think they sent out Dharma brand Apple chargers, so he wouldn't have been able to listen when he was on the island.

And if you say "he wasn't planning on going to the island," no, but the island was planning to have him there

donkshow

Aug 19, 2007
I really, really want to do a re-watch of this. I've got a book teed up to read, just listed to a podcast that was solely about The Constant, so I have LOST on the mind.

Though, with a toddler at home, making time for a re-watch seems daunting and likely to take far longer than I want to spend on it. As well, there are just so many other shows I want to watch on my to-watch list, that it seems silly to re-watch LOST instead.

Perhaps I will revisit this idea once the NHL playoffs are over I will dive back in.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As much as I love the show (it's 1b right behind the original run of The X-Files for me) I don't think I can watch it again because of the ending (which I liked actually).

Reactions: predfan24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad