TV: Lost

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Lost Horizons, Aug 20, 2010.

1. x Tame Impala HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If anyone caught any of the "2000's" series on Netflix or wherever, they spend a little time talking about Lost. The most interesting bit was the writers for the show were saying how they had originally only written the show to be 3 seasons but the network kept pushing and demanding more and more seasons. Makes a lot of sense to me as, IMO, the show got unnecessarily convoluted as soon as the Others and Benjamin plot was all but resolved in season 3.

I tried to do a re-watch with the lady over the past few months. Season 1 and 2 were fantastic, season 3 was very good too, but then all that drama reached its crescendo and season 4 onwards seemed like the writers were really just digging for anything interesting/compelling. Benjamin not wanting to get captured, Saayid being an assassin now, etc...took me out of the immersion. The stakes weren't as high anymore.

I have to remind myself that the first 3 seasons had 70 of the 118 total episodes and they were 45 minutes each. That's A LOT of tv time and plot to come up with. I feel like the show would've been perfect if the condensed seasons 4-6 into one final 25 episode season we would've been way better off. There was a lot that could've been cut out while still making a compelling show. I've gotta say though, the ending of the last episode of season 3 was one of the more jaw-dropping things i've ever seen on television. So cool.

2. Bubba Thudd Manic Depressive Who Walks In The Rain

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Cantankerous Curmudgeon
    Is this still on Netflix?
    I'm due for a rewatch.

3. predfan24 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Yep. I was originally a defender of how they finished it but as time has went on I'm more in the "writer's got into deep and took the easy way out" camp.

4. LightningStrikes Elite Fan

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Terrific show, terrible last season and finale. Still one of my all-time favorite TV shows.

5. blueandgoldguy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It's been a long time since I watched the show, but I don't remember any explanation as to why the others were on the island in the first place. I remember the flashback of the Dharma Initiative being on the island and performing their various experiments...warnings on the intercom system to watch out for the local wildlife (which was the others). I remember Ben killing everyone in the Dharma Initiative and living with the Others after that.

I'm surprised a lost prequel focusing on the others hasn't been greenlit at this point. Even in the fractured landscape of current tv it would probably pull in good numbers. It's been 9 years since Lost had its final episode. Perhaps the wait has been too long?

6. Jack Straw Moving much too slow Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    There were people on the island before Jacob’s mother was shipwrecked there, and gave birth to him and the MIB. That was back during the Roman era when the island was in the Mediterranean. So presumably they were the original others?

7. Flukeshot Fletcher Activate!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    9-5'ing
    I've been rewatching and I forget enough that it's pretty good. I'm actually surprised how many details I have forgotten and had hoped it Would be more of a "look for clues" that point to the ending, or help answer open questions.

JetsFan815 likes this.
  8. discostu Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    I listen to the podcast "Storm of Spoilers" for Game of Thrones, which eill he transitioning to a Lost re-watch starting next week. I'm going to listen, but not likely do the full re-watch to go with it, but may do the odd epsisode.

Flukeshot likes this.
  9. Flukeshot Fletcher Activate!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    9-5'ing
    So the podcast is going to be starting up and be Lost based? Or it already exists? I had really hoped to watch or listen to a walk through at the same time. Couldn't find anything episode specific on YouTube

10. discostu Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    The podcast exists, but currently is focused on Game of Thrones. In the past, when GOT isn't on the air, they'd tackle other pop culture topics (ie other shows or movies in pop culture at the moment), but they're going t do a Lost re-watch starting this week, and dovetail into doing the news Watchmen show that's coming to HBO, which is being made by Damon Lindelof, from Lost fame.

11. JetsFan815 :(

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I rewatched about 1.5-2yrs with someone I was seeing who was watching it for the first time and it really holds up well. Even knowing the answers to the mysteries it was compelling tv.

All those things had reasons behind them and were explained though. I think Season 2 and first part of Season 3 is the lowest point of LOST (although still very great). Season 4,5 and most of Season 6 is some of the best of LOST as at that time they had an end date and no longer had to have a ton of wheel spinney episode when they didn't know how long they had to stretch the story.

12. x Tame Impala HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    We’ll have to agree to disagree on that one

13. Hammettf2b oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Been thinking about giving it a full re watch. Is it available on any of the streaming services?

14. LarKing Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Used to be on Netflix but doubt it’s still there.

15. Hammettf2b oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Looks like its on Hulu

x Tame Impala likes this.
  16. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think it's on Hulu now.

17. discostu Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    In Canada, it's available on Amazon Prime. I believe it's on Hulu in the states.

I reference a podcast above that's doing a re-watch. I didn't watch the first season, but started watching with season 2, and am enjoying it. It's actually fun to do a re-watch, but not as a binge.

I've been enjoying it more than I originally thought I would. The show holds up well as a drama. It's well acted with thought out characters.

18. Hammettf2b oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    That actually sounds interesting. I think I will go along with the podcast!

discostu likes this.
  19. discostu Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    Here's the link

The Storm: A LOST Rewatch Podcast

I subscribe to their patreon, which gets access to the website a slack channel that has ongoing discussions. It's actually fun to see discussions from people who are watching for the first time.

Hammettf2b likes this.
  20. Hammettf2b oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Thanks!

21. x Tame Impala HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Still think this is as true now as ever. The show should’ve been cut at 3-4 seasons. Would’ve gone down as one of the best shows of all time IMO

NyQuil likes this.
  22. discostu Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Home Page:
    In the podcast I reference above, they've had this discussion about how Lost would be different today, and whether it would be better.

It's a tough question, as Lost really was a product of its time. It was in that brief period where enough people had DVRs that shows could he serialized, but before the full streaming period when shows became designed to be consumed in shorter periods. Part of what made Lost interesting was its massive pop culture impact, and I don't knowing if it could achieve that today, as only Game of Thrones has really done so.

It would have had a much tighter narrative if it followed that model we see today, but, it wouldn't have had the time to be as character focused. I also think one of its best qualities as an show is how the sci-fi elements snuck up you, which it wouldn't be able to do if you're squeezing things into 3 or 4 seasons.

In the end, the show was almost like a weird experiment of various factors at play. Hard to really tell how things would play out differently. Even with its flaws, it's still a good show that will likely go down as once of the more influential shows of its the last 20 years.

NyQuil likes this.
  23. x Tame Impala HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Do shows nowadays get 22 episodes, 45 minutes per episode? I’m generally not a network tv guy anymore so I don’t know. It’s tough to say if it would be better if it aired today. Mostly because it, being an iconic show, influenced so many proceeding shows that the techniques and tropes it used back in 2004 wouldn’t be as new or captivating if they were viewed in 2020. Ultimately I think it’d probably be worse. Significantly less episodes for sure, which means it’d be much more plot/action driven with The Others and way less character driven.

24. Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Business Development
    Warts and all my all time favorite show. Used to be The X-Files but the revival destroyed it.

25. Hammettf2b oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Finished season 1 on my re-watch. I forgot some things and remembered some things. Overall very good experience. @discostu I listened to the first 5 episodes of that podcast. Do they get into more detail on later episodes of the podcast like start explaining things and what not. From what I listened to they just pretty much said what happened in the episode and not much else. Basically like a re-cap of what happened. I realize that early in the episodes there's not much to explain and discuss about so I was wondering if that changes in future episodes.