TV: Lost

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
From what I gathered, Ben didn't feel he was ready to move on yet and possibly wasn't completely redeemed. Which is why he had things to do.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Question for you as you just completed a watch for the first time.

While there were obviously unanswered questions, were any of them important enough for you to actually freak out about not getting answered? Because there's a lot of that still from people who love to complain about the show and it always amuses me to no end.

For myself, there wasn't anything unanswered to me that was really glaring. Once item that I wanted, but was trivial, was one of the time jumping scenes where they were being shot at in a canoe. I don't think they ever looped back to show who was shooting at them and why, but, this is pretty inconsequential.

Overall, my biggest beef with the final seasons was

A) some of the answers were just underwhelming. The numbers in particular, but, this was more because the mythology of the numbers were built up so much.

B) A lot of the characters and new mysteries introduced in season 6 were not interesting.

For all of its flaws as a series, it still was very unique television, and they really had a great core of characters.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
For myself, there wasn't anything unanswered to me that was really glaring. Once item that I wanted, but was trivial, was one of the time jumping scenes where they were being shot at in a canoe. I don't think they ever looped back to show who was shooting at them and why, but, this is pretty inconsequential.

Overall, my biggest beef with the final seasons was

A) some of the answers were just underwhelming. The numbers in particular, but, this was more because the mythology of the numbers were built up so much.

B) A lot of the characters and new mysteries introduced in season 6 were not interesting.

For all of its flaws as a series, it still was very unique television, and they really had a great core of characters.

Could the numbers have been Jacob feeding them to Hurley to get him to play the lottery in order to get him to Australia?

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Understood the final scene. Didn't like it. Loved the show anyway. One of the shows I had to buy on DVD/BluRay.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I feel like getting angry at LOST for having an underwhelming ending is like getting angry at a roller coaster for slowing down at the end.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I feel like getting angry at LOST for having an underwhelming ending is like getting angry at a roller coaster for slowing down at the end.

Pretty good analogy. The rest of the show was fantastic no matter what your feelings are about the end.

I think it's the opposite. As a viewer, it drew me in because of the mystery and the hint of future rewards and spoils. The fanbase around the show was fantastic and really covered up a lot of its flaws: clunky, terrible dialogue, massive logical inconsistencies, bad acting, woeful storytelling.

It was just a really, really bad drama with a great hook and a lot of hype. There is no reason why anybody should credit the SHOW and not the experience of watching the show week-to-week... because there is a very real difference. The show itself is garbage melodrama that I regret watching, the experience was thrilling.

I'll never, ever lay my eyes on it again though. **** that show, **** Lindelof, **** those terrible actors.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Garbage melodrama, terrible actors? Oh boy, I don't wanna know how high your standards are... Shouldn't be easy for you to be satisfied by much out there.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I think it's the opposite. As a viewer, it drew me in because of the mystery and the hint of future rewards and spoils. The fanbase around the show was fantastic and really covered up a lot of its flaws: clunky, terrible dialogue, massive logical inconsistencies, bad acting, woeful storytelling.

It was just a really, really bad drama with a great hook and a lot of hype. There is no reason why anybody should credit the SHOW and not the experience of watching the show week-to-week... because there is a very real difference. The show itself is garbage melodrama that I regret watching, the experience was thrilling.

I'll never, ever lay my eyes on it again though. **** that show, **** Lindelof, **** those terrible actors.

I think you're confusing The Walking Dead, I show I enjoy by the way, with Lost. Lost actually had good acting, decent dialogue and interesting storytelling with some great twists ie season 3 finale. Some of the more memorable characters in recent tv history.

Will have to do a rewatch on of these years by the only unanswered question that immediately jumps to mind is Walt's mystical abilities.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Saying LOST has bad acting, terrible dialogue and woeful storytelling is pretty funny. It can be criticized for a lot of things but I've rarely seen even its harshest critics point to those things as a weakness of the show.

Whiskey has always taken every opportunity to dump on LOST though, so it's not really surprising.

Habsfan22100

Jul 14, 2009

Yet you still bother yourself to talk about it 5 years later? :laugh:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
It's actually been a while since I've seen it and I've no idea where the polar bear came from. You could have told me Hurley brought it in his hand luggage and I'd believe you.

I genuinely don't know where all the temple stuff that came in at the end originated from. That just seemed bad.

Riddick

Feb 29, 2004
Joke question. I think he's making fun of the people who constantly demand answers to rather trivial questions (or questions that have already been answered). :laugh:

whats the smoke monster?

answer: its a security measure.

I mean, come the **** on...

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
You know what I never understood?

Why, after ****ing off into the jungle in what can best be described as a drug-like haze following the reanimation of her deceased father, did Claire get so angry at Kate taking Aaron off the island with her? Did she think the child would have been left behind on the island after its mother just vanished with no apparent care for anything? I get that after three years feral with only a shape-shifting psychopath for company she might not be entirely on the level anymore, but her reaction to Kate when they meet in S6 is just bizarre.

Ed - Of course, two minutes after I posted this the episode I'm watching explained it, with Smokey Locke telling Kate that he needed to give Claire someone to hate. The problem which still exists is why she was so angry at Kate. She still ****ed off with absolutely no regard for her child, and is angry that someone dared to look after it?

Last edited:

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Always said I wish I could go back and watch LOST without having a clue what happened. I've forgotten a ton about the show and am thinking about doing a re-watch but I fear everything would come rushing back once I start watching again.

Interesting that those that have re-watched feels it holds up well, it always struck me as an experience that would lose its incredible impact upon repeat viewings.

I'm re-watching it right now for the first time. It's really good. It's kind of nostalgic to watch the first season again, with how relatively simple their lives were. It re-inforces the notion that this show was first and foremost about characters, and the mysteries were secondary. Which is what they tried to hammer home in the finale, which I loved.

It's funny to see how naive they are with regards to the raft and everything. Oh if you only knew

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Just finished my first rewatch of the show since the original airing.

I'd seen Season 1 numerous times in the past, but finally made it through a rewatch.

It was just as good as I remembered...absolutely incredible.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Just finished my first rewatch of the show since the original airing.

I'd seen Season 1 numerous times in the past, but finally made it through a rewatch.

It was just as good as I remembered...absolutely incredible.
The first season is one of the best seasons in television history. It's so good. The quality of show dipped after that - but Season 1 was magical.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
The first season is one of the best seasons in television history. It's so good. The quality of show dipped after that - but Season 1 was magical.

Agreed. If I were ranking the seasons...I guess I'd go:

Season 1
Season 3 (2nd half)
Season 2
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 3 (1st half)

But I'll be honest, 4-6 are really, really close.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Probably my favorite show of all-time.

If we ever planned an HF re-watch, assuming we had enough people, I'd definitely be down with that. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad