TV: Lost

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The "libby in the mental institution" bit was most likely a leftover from (or homage to) one of the original ideas for the series, which was that the entire show took place in Hurley's mind.

iirc Jack was to be Hurley's real life physician in that scenario.

I never liked that theory. To be honest I think the “they’re all in purgatory” ending was the best way to go.

If the writers weren’t forced to extend the show with, IMHO, unnecessary seasons 4 and bits of 5 then the ending and the series as a whole would’ve been much better.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I never liked that theory. To be honest I think the “they’re all in purgatory” ending was the best way to go.

If the writers weren’t forced to extend the show with, IMHO, unnecessary seasons 4 and bits of 5 then the ending and the series as a whole would’ve been much better.

They were never forced. Lijdelod and Cuse negotiatd the end date,which let them plot out the rest of the series starting midway through season 3.

Whatever people's thoughts on the ending,it was their vision.

As for season 4/5 being unnecessary, that's a hard disagree from me. I loved that stretch of the show.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think lost was the first show I ever watched on the Netflix platform. Good times.

I don't know when it happened, but I can no longer find it in the Netflix library.

Reactions: Voight

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
They were never forced. Lijdelod and Cuse negotiatd the end date,which let them plot out the rest of the series starting midway through season 3.

Whatever people's thoughts on the ending,it was their vision.

As for season 4/5 being unnecessary, that's a hard disagree from me. I loved that stretch of the show.

The writers said in a documentary “The 2000’s” that they originally only wanted the show to be 3 seasons.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The writers said in a documentary “The 2000’s” that they originally only wanted the show to be 3 seasons.

I haven't seen that documentary, but I've heard the negotiated end date story numerous times, including an interview from Lindelof from a few weeks ago.

Shows during that era did not come in with multi year plans and scheduled end dates. You got picked up as a pilot and hope to be popular enough to get extended,and keep making shows untill you get cancelled or enough cast members move on. That was part of what separated it out from other shows at the time.

Ultimately, it's hard to ever know definitively what the plans were at any stage. At best, you're relying on someone's recollection of it.

That said, my belief has been that any of the long term plans only really got filled in after Lindelof and Cuse took over as the lead creative force behind the show midway through season 1.

Abrams is very good at a lot of things, but long form continuity planning isn't one. I can't see him sketching out a 3 year timeline.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
forgot you essentially need to wait until season 3 for desmond to be a main player

rewatching season 2 and waiting for him to return was agonizing

still constantly pissed about mr eko, easily my favourite character on this rewatch

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
still constantly pissed about mr eko, easily my favourite character on this rewatch

Obviously terrible for him as an actor/individual, but also very unfortunate for the story plan that in real life his parents died and he requested to leave the show. Imagine how different the story could've been with Mr Eko essentially taking much of the role that was left to John from that point forward. Of course, John's character also worked out well in that role as we saw it, but still to imagine having Mr Eko around in the series probably until the end would certainly have presented an amazing dynamic.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Obviously terrible for him as an actor, but also very unfortunate for the story plan that his parents died and he requested to leave the show. Imagine how different the story could've been with Mr Eko essentially taking much of the role that was left to John from that point forward. Of course, John's character also worked out well in that role as we saw it, but still to imagine having Mr Eko around in series probably until the end would certainly have presented an amazing dynamic.

Its been a while since ive watched so i cant remember much about these later seasons

So essentially a lot of what locke becomes was to be mr.eko? interesting, ill have to keep that in mind.

just saw the ep where they introduce nikki and paulo, their first scene is the least organic thing of the entire show

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
That’s actually super interesting that Eko’s shoes were filled by Locke’s. Locke always had a connection with the island though.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
WHAT IS IN THE HATCH??? HOLY CRAP! That was my reaction at the time. :D

I joined late and binged a few DVD boxsets (when that was a thing) and maybe caught up week to week watching around season 4 as it aired.

I did a rewatch a few years ago and absolutely hated season 6.

Reactions: GabeTravels

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Started rewatching from season 4 yesterday. Early thoughts but I may have been wrong about the bad quality of the show’s run in its second half. I really like it so far. It’s less about the island and more about the individual characters, but it still works really well. About to start “The Other Woman” episode right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad