TV: Lost

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Finished season 1 on my re-watch. I forgot some things and remembered some things. Overall very good experience. @discostu I listened to the first 5 episodes of that podcast. Do they get into more detail on later episodes of the podcast like start explaining things and what not. From what I listened to they just pretty much said what happened in the episode and not much else. Basically like a re-cap of what happened. I realize that early in the episodes there's not much to explain and discuss about so I was wondering if that changes in future episodes.

If there's mysteries introduced in an episode, they'll speak about it a bit in the spoilers with regards to where it goes. But, they put more emphasis on the non spoiler talk, as there's a lot of people using it as an accompanying podcast for their first watch.

They do start adding more recurring bits in spoilers.

I will add that they get some really good interviews during latter half of season 1, including writers and other key crew. They also get Jorge Garcia and Lindelof.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
If there's mysteries introduced in an episode, they'll speak about it a bit in the spoilers with regards to where it goes. But, they put more emphasis on the non spoiler talk, as there's a lot of people using it as an accompanying podcast for their first watch.

They do start adding more recurring bits in spoilers.

I will add that they get some really good interviews during latter half of season 1, including writers and other key crew. They also get Jorge Garcia and Lindelof.
Niiice, thanks.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Towards the end of season 3 and I have a bunch of questions but don't want anything spoiled so I wont ask lol. I don't remember a lot from when it first aired its original showing.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
I was once intrigued by the first season, but then I discovered that those who wrote the script did not seem themselves to have any idea what it all means lol, and just added any mysterious-looking nonsense and plot twists. And when I realized that, I stopped watch this bullshit

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I was once intrigued by the first season, but then I discovered that those who wrote the script did not seem themselves to have any idea what it all means lol, and just added any mysterious-looking nonsense and plot twists. And when I realized that, I stopped watch this bullshit

While I think the mythology got unwieldy the underlying message of the show was never compromised. I think a lot of people were ticked at how "simple" it ended up being.

Last edited:
Reactions: GabeTravels

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Man, a LOST thread. This brings back memories from 10 years ago.

S1 was very good, but S2 almost went off the rails. The show runners had no clue what to do or where to go, especially with Walt. They even started pushing it in a religious direction. The low point was the episode where Locke beats up Charlie.

Then, a little after that, Michael Emerson came riding in to save the day (show). He allowed them to ditch everything they had built up and start over. My favorite moment in the show was when Ben and the others were packing up to leave and he told Locke to follow when his task was accomplished. I really wanted to believe the show was going to take off at that point and explore the true mystery of the island. Unfortunately it never really did.

I read somewhere a long time ago that Michael Emerson was originally on a 3 episode deal.

Count me among those who was bitterly disappointed by the ending. It was an insult to those of us who invested so much time and emotion in the show, despite all of its flaws.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
rewatching it now, about ten episodes into season 2. Though season 2 is a bit of a mess, I forgot how much i like Mr.Eko (probably more this time around for his performance as adibisi in Oz)

makes me so pissed off that he wouldnt return. Could have easily been remembered as one of the best characters on one of the best shows ever.

Also forgot how terrible jack and kate are. easily the worst part of the show lol

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Wow, just looked it up after seeing this thread... 10 years tomorrow is when the series finale aired.

I remember how much discussion there was on here (and the internet in general) after every episode, it was nuts. Every episode might have had a 40 page thread.
I was also pretty disappointed in the direction the show went and how it ended. I had a really low opinion of Lindelof after it ended, but after watching The Leftovers and Watchmen I think I'd watch anything he does now, and I think I may owe Lost another revisit with a different perspective.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Still one of the best shows of all time.

People will always cry about the ending of elite shows(Sopranos, Game of Thrones two examples that come to mind quickly), is what it is, almost impossible to satisfy everyone with an ending of a truly elite show.

Reactions: MoreOrr

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

I've never seen why there is or was the necessity for the story writers to have or provide all the answers. Not having the all the answers nor even really knowing where the story is going to go makes it and made it even more mysterious. LOST was a story that took on a life of its own and led all who participated in it, whether it be the creators, the actors, or the fans, on a fantastic journey.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I've never seen why there is or was the necessity for the story writers to have or provide all the answers. Not having the all the answers nor even really knowing where the story is going to go makes it and made it even more mysterious. LOST was a story that took on a life of its own and led all who participated in it, whether it be the creators, the actors, or the fans, on a fantastic journey.

I mean you're free to have your opinion of course but the bolded to me is just poor writing. I'm not asking for perfection but at some point you have to conclude your show and if you've written yourself into a corner that's poor writing imo.

For the record, I loved Lost and didn't dislike the final seasons nearly as much as most people. Gonna have to give it a rewatch soon.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I mean you're free to have your opinion of course but the bolded to me is just poor writing. I'm not asking for perfection but at some point you have to conclude your show and if you've written yourself into a corner that's poor writing imo.

I think it's an idea that most have bought into and assume that it has to be the case or else it's just not good. I'm not saying that I prefer the creation of an interesting story to be done one way rather than another, but just that there's nothing necessarily wrong with it being more open-ended than what we're all generally accustomed to.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Did I miss the part where they explained Libby being in the hospital with Hugo?

There's no in show explanation. I've heard writers speak about what was intended.

Planned answer was that she checked herself in due to struggles dealing with her husband's death.

It really would have been an underwhelming direction after the major WTF moment from the initial reveal.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
There's no in show explanation. I've heard writers speak about what was intended.

Planned answer was that she checked herself in due to struggles dealing with her husband's death.

It really would have been an underwhelming direction after the major WTF moment from the initial reveal.
I don't recall that at all tbh. Do you happen to know what season/episode this was explained?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

Libby had a mental breakdown following her husband's death, and that's how she ended up there.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Man, a LOST thread. This brings back memories from 10 years ago.

S1 was very good, but S2 almost went off the rails. The show runners had no clue what to do or where to go, especially with Walt. They even started pushing it in a religious direction. The low point was the episode where Locke beats up Charlie.

Then, a little after that, Michael Emerson came riding in to save the day (show). He allowed them to ditch everything they had built up and start over. My favorite moment in the show was when Ben and the others were packing up to leave and he told Locke to follow when his task was accomplished. I really wanted to believe the show was going to take off at that point and explore the true mystery of the island. Unfortunately it never really did.

I read somewhere a long time ago that Michael Emerson was originally on a 3 episode deal.

Count me among those who was bitterly disappointed by the ending. It was an insult to those of us who invested so much time and emotion in the show, despite all of its flaws.
The entire final season was complete garbage

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
The "libby in the mental institution" bit was most likely a leftover from (or homage to) one of the original ideas for the series, which was that the entire show took place in Hurley's mind.

iirc Jack was to be Hurley's real life physician in that scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad