TV: Lost

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Probably my favorite show of all-time.

No "probably" about it for me, and by a long-shot.

My son started watching it recently, as he was really young when I first watched it, and it immediately became his favorite show (he almost kind of hated it when I insisted to watch it when he was younger), and now we're watching it together again. :)

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Can you really do a rewatch of a show built on plot twists and suspense? I loved all of Lost but I don't think I can watch it again.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Probably my favorite show of all-time.

If we ever planned an HF re-watch, assuming we had enough people, I'd definitely be down with that. :nod:

It's my second favorite behind 24. A great show with great characters.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Can you really do a rewatch of a show built on plot twists and suspense? I loved all of Lost but I don't think I can watch it again.

I did a rewatch with my ex a few years back, and I had forgotten a lot of stuff so it wasn't terrible...but it definitely didn't have the same effect on me the first time around..not even close.

hoyster

Dec 1, 2011
Helsinki
Currently re-watching with my girlfriend cause she hasn't seen it before. Midway season 5 going on right now.

Knowing/remembering most of the plot twists doesn't take away too much from the enjoyment. Although I mostly enjoy seeing my gf react to the twists and feeling the same feels I did 7 years ago. After this we're watching Breaking Bad since she hasn'tšeen that either.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Exactly how I look at it. And given how long each episode is and how many there are, I just can't see myself getting invested enough to watch it. Probably speaks more to my attention span, though. I'm more of a 30 minute comedy episode re-watch kind of guy.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Exactly how I look at it. And given how long each episode is and how many there are, I just can't see myself getting invested enough to watch it. Probably speaks more to my attention span, though. I'm more of a 30 minute comedy episode re-watch kind of guy.

Same. I'm usually in a cycle of rewatching Archer, That 70's Show, some of Scrubs, the Office, etc...

When I get home from school or work and I want a scotch while I watch some TV and unwind things like Mad Men, GoT, Narcos, that I liked to varying degrees need too much investment from me to watch again.

It's way easier to shut it down and watch Kelso do something stupid

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
One thing that people forget, Lost was a show that went against the trend of reality shows. It got sick, almost every prime-time show on a major network was doing it. Then Lost and Desperate Housewives came and became hits. Slowly I saw the shift happen after than.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I loved the show, believe me it had ALOT of problems and at times the writers were pretty much giving the middle finger to the audience (Across the Sea, Finale, etc) but I still very much enjoyed it but the show could be a real mess at times.

I don't believe I could do another watch.. maybe once in a few more years.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I loved the show, believe me it had ALOT of problems and at times the writers were pretty much giving the middle finger to the audience (Across the Sea, Finale, etc) but I still very much enjoyed it but the show could be a real mess at times.

I don't believe I could do another watch.. maybe once in a few more years.

The writers basically wrote themselves into situations, too many situations if you're complaining, that they couldn't write themselves out of to the satisfaction of all of the audience.

My biggest peeve isn't at all with the show nor with the writers, because I'm actually so glad about all the "mystery", for lack of a better word, that they wrote into the story. No, my peeve is actually with the audience that complained about not getting answers to every single question that the series created in the minds of the viewers. Many of the questions were answered, and those that weren't, it doesn't really matter. The entertainment was the journey, not a pot full of answers at the end of the road. And damn, it was the most marvelous and involving journey I've ever had with any series.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Still my favorite show ever. I actually got demoted from a job once because I was so into the podcasts, I stopped caring about anything else at work.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria

Just putting it out there before people waste an enormous amount of time waiting for some sort of satisfying payoff that finally makes sense of the nonsense. It never comes. It might be the biggest letdown of a show I have ever experienced. As a viewer, it takes an unfortunately long time to realize the writers never had any clear vision they were working towards from the beginning, and that many of the manipulative twists & hooks never prove to make any sense or tie into the overall story at all. And it takes so very long to get there.

I've never seen it, but maybe I should.

There are so many other really good shows out there. Lots of these are worth a look (in no particular order):

- The Wire
- Fargo
- Breaking Bad
- Better Call Saul
- Curb Your Enthusiasm
- Seinfeld
- Sherlock
- Master of None
- Silicon Valley
- Louie
- The Larry Sanders Show
- Game of Thrones
- Arrested Development
- Stranger Things
- The Office UK (US has lots of funny moments too)
- Party Down
- Parks & Rec
- Battlestar Galactica
- The Expanse
- 30 Rock
- Eastbound & Down
- Atlanta

... off the top of my head. After some research I could probably put together another 2-3 lists that long of shows I'd recommend over LOST. If you've already watched everything though, by all means, take it on.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I've never seen it, but maybe I should.

I'd recommend watching the first season, it's excellent TV by any measure. If you like that, the second season is compelling and has very interesting story arcs. But in the third season the wheels start to come off, and everything after that is just bad.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
The writers basically wrote themselves into situations, too many situations if you're complaining, that they couldn't write themselves out of to the satisfaction of all of the audience.

My biggest peeve isn't at all with the show nor with the writers, because I'm actually so glad about all the "mystery", for lack of a better word, that they wrote into the story. No, my peeve is actually with the audience that complained about not getting answers to every single question that the series created in the minds of the viewers. Many of the questions were answered, and those that weren't, it doesn't really matter. The entertainment was the journey, not a pot full of answers at the end of the road. And damn, it was the most marvelous and involving journey I've ever had with any series.

Sure the audience could be annoying too nitpicking over such small details but there are some stuff that really was inexcusable going off memory.

One of the biggest has to be in "Across the Sea" one of the characters is about to ask a question and the response is "anything you ask will only lead to more questions"

It is lazy writing like that that is just rage inducing it pretty much was a troll

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Example of a wrong opinion.

Haha yeah... I guess it all depends on what you look for in a story. If you're looking for endless twists and like shows like Homeland, Scandal, 24, Sons of Anarchy, etc, then this show could really be up someone's alley. It's a "turn your brain off and ride the roller coaster" show.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Binged watched it 2 years ago. I originally stopped after the first ten episodes but then my brother watched it and told me how great it was, I promptly finished it in like 3-4 weeks. Used to stay up till 12/1am and get 5 or 6 hours of sleep just because I was hooked on it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Still my favorite show ever. I actually got demoted from a job once because I was so into the podcasts, I stopped caring about anything else at work.

Similar thing happened to me, I would only sleep like 5 hours because I would be watching the show all night, but luckily I was close with my supervisor and he had watched the show previously, so he understood why I was up all night :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad