London Knights 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Now its a wait n see.

Unfortunately I don't have much to add on the selections other than what most have read. Didn't get to the ain tournies, help out a team or get to the OHL Cup.

Hopefully we all get a look in September.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Yeah, I'm optimistic about our selections on D. Just check out those names: Edward and George! That's what I call 'royalty'! And, if Nazar ends up reporting at some point, that would make the draft a success in itself. Having said that, I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach with our first two selections at forward: Bujold and C. Smith (Kanata kids). I'm no scout, and I haven't seen any of these kids play. I'm just someone who prepares for the OHL draft by reviewing the rankings of players from various sources, e.g. Scout.ca; Hockeyprospects; Pipeline, etc... For that reason, I wasn't excited about the selections of Bujold and C. Smith because none of the leading scouts from those supposedly reputable sources had Bujold and C. Smith going that early in the draft. My question is: why not? I'll give Mark, and Simpson the benefit of the doubt, and see what these kids can do before passing judgement.

I think I would trust Mr Hunter and Simpson over these so called wannabe scouting agencies. Those rankings looked very scattered from what I read. Tend to copy each other to

Yeah, I'm optimistic about our selections on D. Just check out those names: Edward and George! That's what I call 'royalty'! And, if Nazar ends up reporting at some point, that would make the draft a success in itself. Having said that, I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach with our first two selections at forward: Bujold and C. Smith (Kanata kids). I'm no scout, and I haven't seen any of these kids play. I'm just someone who prepares for the OHL draft by reviewing the rankings of players from various sources, e.g. Scout.ca; Hockeyprospects; Pipeline, etc... For that reason, I wasn't excited about the selections of Bujold and C. Smith because none of the leading scouts from those supposedly reputable sources had Bujold and C. Smith going that early in the draft. My question is: why not? I'll give Mark, and Simpson the benefit of the doubt, and see what these kids can do before passing judgement.
Like I said earlier...with no hockey in March(OHL Cup and playdowns) this draft was a shot in the dark after the top 20. Take your flyer picks, take who you saw that impressed you when you did see them play( if they were on your draft list) and chalk this draft up as a wash

Reactions: Fastpace and zman77

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Time will tell on the Draft selections but always have to give it to London it’s obvious they don’t really care all that much about the experts and their ratings. The Knights scout their own picks and they choose who they feel are potential “good” Knights! The other thing that stands out is Marks love for the relatives of past OHL and especially Knight players. They seem to like to know the person inside the equipment not just the You Tube videos. Nazar at “97” I think it was? Maybe he is our next Gruden and we get 1 awesome season from him and for a 97th pick that would be just fine!!

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Unfortunately I don't have much to add on the selections other than what most have read. Didn't get to the ain tournies, help out a team or get to the OHL Cup.

Everyone can have an off season BUT we will expect better from you next season. The “job” will have to go if it’s not allowing you to get the inside info we Knight fans require!! :laugh::laugh:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Frank Nazar #41
He scored a Goal a Game.
Frank come play for the London Knights.
Best place to be the very best player you want to be!

Reactions: LDN and Fastpace

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
With Washington being somewhat “set” as an upper echelon roster and assuming the expired or soon to be expired NHL / OHL agreement remains similar I think McMichael ends up back in London. I know it’s not a slam dunk but let’s assume it is. I think next year is a bit of a development year in London as we will for sure loose Foudy, Merkley, Regula, Gruden, Phillips and more! I say we trade McMichael to Oshawa, assuming they are Mem Cup hosts they will be all in and we have a fairly positive relationship with them. We end up getting back a boat load of assets? Get the “kids” a bit more ice time in his place and we are loaded with assets for a 2-3 year run after next season. Similar to when we moved McCarron and Mermis(?) a few years back. I can see another Memorial Cup on our horizon.

What do you all think of the plan? It seems whenever we do a “sell-off” Mark does a masterful job of getting an incredible haul.

With Washington being somewhat “set” as an upper echelon roster and assuming the expired or soon to be expired NHL / OHL agreement remains similar I think McMichael ends up back in London. I know it’s not a slam dunk but let’s assume it is. I think next year is a bit of a development year in London as we will for sure loose Foudy, Merkley, Regula, Gruden, Phillips and more! I say we trade McMichael to Oshawa, assuming they are Mem Cup hosts they will be all in and we have a fairly positive relationship with them. We end up getting back a boat load of assets? Get the “kids” a bit more ice time in his place and we are loaded with assets for a 2-3 year run after next season. Similar to when we moved McCarron and Mermis(?) a few years back. I can see another Memorial Cup on our horizon.

What do you all think of the plan? It seems whenever we do a “sell-off” Mark does a masterful job of getting an incredible haul.
I'm not convinced Gruden and Regula have played their last games in London just yet

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I'm not convinced Gruden and Regula have played their last games in London just yet
Fair enough I think we all know it’s a weird time right now and the impact of all of this is a little “grey”. I just think a bit of a sell off could kick us up a notch from a very good team to an elite team down the road.

Reactions: KnightsWatch
Fair enough I think we all know it’s a weird time right now and the impact of all of this is a little “grey”. I just think a bit of a sell off could kick us up a notch from a very good team to an elite team down the road.
With how things are looking...we possibly may not see hockey until late in the year. The reason I say those 2 could be back is I doubt NHL teams will even have rookie camps and they will focus more on veterans over youth. Any player with Junior eligibility be it OA seasons or unhinged returns because they can play another year in Junior I believe will be sent back.

Just one guy thinking out loud

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005

At the end of the 2018-2019 season there were lots of thoughts that we should sell off Foudy the next season and make a run in 2020-2021. Fortunately we have Mark Hunter who brings in Merkley, Gruden, Phillips, Skinner and Willms and makes London a legitimate Memorial Cup contender this season without mortgaging our future.
Mark will do the same thing next season as well. He will probably get us Vlasic and some other NCAA players. He will probably make a trade to get a disgruntled player on another team who demands a trade to only London. He will sign some players that are not on anybody's radar except Mark Hunter's.
Déjà vu all over again.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Like I said earlier...with no hockey in March(OHL Cup and playdowns) this draft was a shot in the dark after the top 20. Take your flyer picks, take who you saw that impressed you when you did see them play( if they were on your draft list) and chalk this draft up as a wash

A wash? Nah

You don't think the scouts rely that much on one final tournament do you? Its a small percentage of their games watched. its a nice bonus to finish the year off but guessing they have a good handle on who was the best. hardly a wash imo

Reactions: zman77
A wash? Nah

You don't think the scouts rely that much on one final tournament do you? Its a small percentage of their games watched. its a nice bonus to finish the year off but guessing they have a good handle on who was the best. hardly a wash imo
Don't kid yourself...a lot of teams weigh the final month of the Minor Hockey season with some top heavy mindset. Case in point when we picked Jammes in the 2nd round because he had a good OHL Cup. Not saying the kids picked weren't on London's draft sheet, but if the playdowns and OHL Cup went as scheduled, that draft list could have received a major overhaul. This draft was a shot in the dark after the 1st round for most if not all teams

dsc75

Mar 25, 2014
with London dealing a number of their 2020 picks, has anyone put any thought into the fact the Hunters may feel Covid 19 could put the 2020-2021 season in jeopardy as well?

food for thought
With the way people aren't staying home I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any sports until they have a vaccine available

Reactions: PhlyerPhanatic31

bearfan

Jan 8, 2015

The Problem with trading with Oshawa they blew their wad in the trade to get Philip Tomasino. They don't have a lot of high picks left to get McMichael and or young talent worth taking if they are going for it.

bearfan

Jan 8, 2015

The Problem with trading with Oshawa they blew their wad in the trade to get Philip Tomasino. They don't have a lot of high picks left to get McMichael and or young talent worth taking if they are going for it.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012

Harrison

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Just depends how “big” of a set they have? In the next 4 years they still have 5 seconds and 5 thirds. Niagara would think nothing of trading everyone of them in a go for it season? LOL, granted the Burke boys aren’t running the show in Oshawa. :naughty::naughty:

Reactions: Drop the Puck

GangGreen

May 27, 2012

Never mind.

Reactions: zman77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad