London Knights 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
The 2020 OHL draft..........London Knights

When Colton Smith moved to Ottawa from Windsor last year, he instantly gravitated toward his new Kanata Lasers centreman Ben Bujold.
That bond won’t be broken for years to come in London. On Saturday, the Knights took the productive linemates six picks apart (Bujold, 19th overall in the first round, and Smith at No. 25 in the second) in the OHL draft.
“It’s hard to go into a new town and not know anybody,” said Smith, the 6-foot-1, 196-pound son of Senators head coach D.J. Smith. “I didn’t know a single person. Over the last year, he (Bujold) accepted me. Benny was my best friend all the way through.
“He was good to me. I had 25 goals and he might have had an assist on every one.”
Bujold, from tiny Richmond, Ont., loved playing set-up man for Smith on a midget team coached by ex-NHLer Shean Donovan. The Sens player development coach is a former Dale Hunter teammate with the Avalanche and Smith’s dad, of course, worked with London GM Mark Hunter when both were with the Maple Leafs.
“Colton and I clicked and were best buds right from the start,” Bujold, a 6-foot, 165-pounder, said. “I’d try to find him the puck and he’d rip it. Almost every second game, we went (to watch the Senators) and went down (to visit) after it. I’ve met almost all of the players and I was lucky to go skating a couple of times with them.”
“When I heard my name to London, I was shocked they took me,” said Bujold, who scored 18 goals and 55 points in 43 games. “I was super excited. I didn’t know that was a spot for me. I thought maybe second round. First (round) is honestly humbling.”
Everything you need to know about the OHL draft, the London Knights and local picks

Reactions: Fastpace

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
London rolled the dice in the fifth round by selecting Michigan native Frank Nazar, who is committed to USA Hockey’s under-17 national team development roster and University of Michigan down the road. He racked up 49 goals and 127 points in 55 games with the Detroit Honeybaked minor midgets last season.
The Knights felt, with all things being equal, Nazar would have challenged for the first overall pick in this draft.
“He’s that good,” Simpson said. “He’s going to the (U.S.) program for two years, but with his level of talent, we thought that (97th overall) was a good spot to be able to take a chance on a player of that calibre.”
The Knights used a third-round pick on Nova Scotian Landon Sim, who declared for the OHL draft at mid-season. His father Jon was a rookie on the Dallas Stars’ Stanley Cup-winning team in 1999 after playing four productive years with Sarnia.
Mark Hunter was his Sting coach during the 1997-98 season.
London’s first pick with local ties was fourth-rounder Brody Crane, a Union native who played for the Buffalo Jr. Sabres. His dad Derrick skated parts of three seasons with the Knights.
The Knights also took speedy Soo Jr. Greyhounds defenceman Mason Chitaroni, whose father Terry was a four-year OHLer with Sudbury and a fourth-round pick of the Maple Leafs in 1991.
Everything you need to know about the OHL draft, the London Knights and local picks

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
ENEMY LINES:
Their gutsiest pick might still have been Smith, who grew up around the great Windsor Spitfires teams that won back-to-back Memorial Cups in 2009 and ’10. Dad D.J. was an assistant coach to Bob Boughner during their memorable jousts with the Knights.
“I wouldn’t say I did (hate London),” Colton said, “but I would say my dad did and I was around him. (Being picked by the Knights is) probably one of the best feelings I’ve ever had, knowing how good they’ve always been and how good a place it is for development.”
He called it a different, but amazing, experience growing up in a hockey family.
“You’re always around the game,” Smith said, “and that’s where I think I found my love for it. Everything’s competitive in the house and hockey’s on the TV 20 hours out of every day.”
Edward, taken three picks earlier, had a complete opposite experience. He’s the only one in his family who ever played the sport.
“My family had no idea about this, so it’s all very exciting and new to us,” the blue-liner said. “It’s a huge deal and very exciting. I’ve had to explain (the draft) all year.”

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
I have to admit it I am bored to frigging death. I had Rogers sportspak and was watching a lot of junior hockey . I really like how the team came together and thought they had a chance to go deep in the playoffs and possibly win it all. Anybody know if Nazar could break his deal with under 17’s and show up or it is an ironclad thing?

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I have to admit it I am bored to frigging death. I had Rogers sportspak and was watching a lot of junior hockey . I really like how the team came together and thought they had a chance to go deep in the playoffs and possibly win it all. Anybody know if Nazar could break his deal with under 17’s and show up or it is an ironclad thing?
2 yr commitment. On rare occasion, a player will leave after one year, e.g. Max Jones. Likely won't see Nazar until after his NHL draft year, if at all.

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
2 yr commitment. On rare occasion, a player will leave after one year, e.g. Max Jones. Likely won't see Nazar until after his NHL draft year, if at all.
What would need to be done?

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I’m excited about this draft. Wasn’t wild with the first pick initially, but reading up on his skill set, sounds like a Foudy type of player. So glad to see some size drafted early. It appears they drafted 2 potential studs on D in Edward and George. If Nazar showed up in 2 years, could be a very exciting team.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I’m excited about this draft. Wasn’t wild with the first pick initially, but reading up on his skill set, sounds like a Foudy type of player. So glad to see some size drafted early. It appears they drafted 2 potential studs on D in Edward and George. If Nazar showed up in 2 years, could be a very exciting team.
Yeah, I'm optimistic about our selections on D. Just check out those names: Edward and George! That's what I call 'royalty'! And, if Nazar ends up reporting at some point, that would make the draft a success in itself. Having said that, I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach with our first two selections at forward: Bujold and C. Smith (Kanata kids). I'm no scout, and I haven't seen any of these kids play. I'm just someone who prepares for the OHL draft by reviewing the rankings of players from various sources, e.g. Scout.ca; Hockeyprospects; Pipeline, etc... For that reason, I wasn't excited about the selections of Bujold and C. Smith because none of the leading scouts from those supposedly reputable sources had Bujold and C. Smith going that early in the draft. My question is: why not? I'll give Mark, and Simpson the benefit of the doubt, and see what these kids can do before passing judgement.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Scored winning goal! So, too, did Lucas Rowe! YIKES!!!! :laugh: ...I kid.
True lol...but we didn't spend a 1st on this kid....with that being said he looks like a player...could be a steal if he ends up becoming a Knight. I really do love how all these kids are so complementary of the great London program.

Reactions: zman77

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, I'm optimistic about our selections on D. Just check out those names: Edward and George! That's what I call 'royalty'! And, if Nazar ends up reporting at some point, that would make the draft a success in itself. Having said that, I'm taking a 'wait and see' approach with our first two selections at forward: Bujold and C. Smith (Kanata kids). I'm no scout, and I haven't seen any of these kids play. I'm just someone who prepares for the OHL draft by reviewing the rankings of players from various sources, e.g. Scout.ca; Hockeyprospects; Pipeline, etc... For that reason, I wasn't excited about the selections of Bujold and C. Smith because none of the leading scouts from those supposedly reputable sources had Bujold and C. Smith going that early in the draft. My question is: why not? I'll give Mark, and Simpson the benefit of the doubt, and see what these kids can do before passing judgement.
The Ottawa scout has a lot of pull right now.

Reactions: zman77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad