London Knights 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe an attempt to showcase him for a trade....
which could either work...or blow up in your face. If Kooy starts the game and puts up a bagel against World Jr. talent...where does that leave the Knights? Would be kinda stupid to move a goalie that is clearly the guy you should be playing. I find it odd is all I'm saying

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Anyone think the selection of Kooy to participate in the OHL/Russia game might be the Knights last ditch effort to salvage what has seemingly gone sour? Seems odd that a player in the doghouse would get selected to play in such a prestigious showcase. Even more so because Dale and Mark are running TC. Just raised an eyebrow

They need a backup don't they, Kooy is the best available one at that particular position.
And/or what better time to showcase him if he's on the trade bloc

I think Kooy's problem is short term and he'll be back stronger then ever once all this is behind

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I may be wrong but I'm of the opinion that players get better practicing and not by playing games. Game performance is a result of the work put in at practice.

yes, players get better in practice. but when you are a 16 year old in the OHL, you won’t adjust to the speed of the game without playing games.

he’s been playing guys his age his whole life and is now playing 19 year old NHL draft picks

he can practice all he wants, but I don’t think there’s going to be another team to challenge him or 9000 people in the crowd.

Reactions: KnightsWatch

Frank the Skank

Jan 11, 2019
104 Row D 15
which could either work...or blow up in your face. If Kooy starts the game and puts up a bagel against World Jr. talent...where does that leave the Knights? Would be kinda stupid to move a goalie that is clearly the guy you should be playing. I find it odd is all I'm saying

If there are off ice issues then he shouldn't be playing... showcase him in this event, hopefully he shines and increases his value.. then move him.

Pope Francis 1

Mar 13, 2013
Best guess is that Kooy's issue is short term. He should fall back to his mean of 2.6 to 3.0 GAA. When out shooting opponents on most nights the goal tending simply has to be better than his current (small sample size) statistics. However as a 2000, a 2.6 to 3.0 GAA isn't quite good enough IMO. Closer to 2.6-2.8 would be expected and acceptable (i.e. a top 5 goalie). Lets see what the next 10 games brings. There has been a significant investment in this kid. I believe that he has a 2 year window of OHL value and that it is a bit premature to be taking about a Kooy trade at this time.

Reactions: KnightsWatch
Best guess is that Kooy's issue is short term. He should fall back to his mean of 2.6 to 3.0 GAA. When out shooting opponents on most nights the goal tending simply has to be better than his current (small sample size) statistics. However as a 2000, a 2.6 to 3.0 GAA isn't quite good enough IMO. Closer to 2.6-2.8 would be expected and acceptable (i.e. a top 5 goalie). Lets see what the next 10 games brings. There has been a significant investment in this kid. I believe that he has a 2 year window of OHL value and that it is a bit premature to be taking about a Kooy trade at this time.
The problem is the issue has reared back 3 seasons in a row. It's becoming a distraction, which isn't good moving forward

LR8

Mar 8, 2018

Save percentage is more telling for a goalie. Last 3 years 927, 904, 908 and 818 this year, however very early facing only 66 shots in 147 minutes played. Easy to improve on the numbers this early.

Reactions: zman77

DrummondIsGod

Mar 16, 2011
there’s also stock in how they perform in the summer camp, gold cup, etc.

but yes, I have said many times and will keep saying that not giving the 1st round pick some ice time isn’t working out as of late. look at what Evangelista’s doing with that bump in his minutes. I’m sure he’d be doing even better if he played 40 games last year.

playing the 2nd round pick over the 1st in the season opener sends the “ice time will be earned” memo. but continuously not giving Rolofs a shot is going to hurt his confidence

Rolofs was one of the top scorers in the summer camp. I think the issue is the 2 games played. I say the London coaches played a big role in him not making this team by not playing him. All the other forwards who made it have played in most of their games and most have put up good numbers as well.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
Rolofs was one of the top scorers in the summer camp. I think the issue is the 2 games played. I say the London coaches played a big role in him not making this team by not playing him. All the other forwards who made it have played in most of their games and most have put up good numbers as well.

Ya....in those 2 games, he's had about 4 shifts in total.....makes it rather difficult to impress. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Knights are playing the guys they'd be more willing to trade later on in the season, boosting their stats, while Rolofs sits in the bush. :)

Coldpucksting

Apr 20, 2019
Save percentage is more telling for a goalie. Last 3 years 927, 904, 908 and 818 this year, however very early facing only 66 shots in 147 minutes played. Easy to improve on the numbers this early.

Kooy started game one and game two with no Merkley and no Regula and a bunch of rookie D in front. I would like to see the #s for Kooy after he plays a few games with the current compliment of D. He is London's best goalie - he will be fine.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Kooy started game one and game two with no Merkley and no Regula and a bunch of rookie D in front. I would like to see the #s for Kooy after he plays a few games with the current compliment of D. He is London's best goalie - he will be fine.
I agree - that was my point. Way to early to be critical. He will be fine, and save percentage will bounce back

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa

The players and overall team system playing out front do helps goalie a great deal too.

What Kooy has got going compare to lets say Raaymakers last year is his composure, how he seem to be square to the shooters on regular basis and also what I think as his bread and better is of his rebound controls. He seems to know where the puck is going after it hit him or where it falls in front of him, it's something so many goaltenders are having problem mastering, his issues is definitely not for his goaltending talent it's something else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce