London Knights 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
If the staff thinks the message has sunk in.....tenders split the weekend.
If they don't think its seeped in deep enough Brochu gets both ;)

"Nothing wrong with Kooy being challenged from outside ( if rumors are true ;))
Itll play itself out and some will be surprised."

Writing was on the wall. Not a big secret. I do hope it works out here but not hopeful.
I hope Kooy grows as a young man first and foremost from this experience and secondarily as a player.

Interesting turn of events considering this quote from Kooy during training camp

“You always have to prove yourself to the coaching staff, that you’re a guy they can trust,” the Vegas Golden Knights prospect said. “I just want to play as many as I can and roll with it. I’m still going to do my thing and hopefully, the young guys catch on to the hard work stuff and don’t get down when they’re not playing.
“You have to work hard here to get starts.”

he seemed to have "got it" coming into the season

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Interesting turn of events considering this quote from Kooy during training camp

“You always have to prove yourself to the coaching staff, that you’re a guy they can trust,” the Vegas Golden Knights prospect said. “I just want to play as many as I can and roll with it. I’m still going to do my thing and hopefully, the young guys catch on to the hard work stuff and don’t get down when they’re not playing.

Or the Knights give their players excellent media training. Also sounds like a quote from a guy who assumed he was getting the starts...

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Did anyone else get the feeling something was amiss on this front last season even? I often thought that Kooy was the better tender but Ray got way more games.. Sometimes people have their favourites so I thought it was just me but maybe this thing was brewing already then...

Reactions: KnightsWatch

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not the worst move to try and get something for Kooy. Even with the early season struggles, he'll garner a good ROI. Myskiw is also a solid goalie option as an OAer from the WHL to buy Onuska another year before becoming backups and to groom Brochu before he takes over as a starting goalie.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Just daydreaming.......Hindsight is always 20/20 but how would Yaroslav Askarov G of Russia look in a Knights jersey. Guy is supposed to be the next Carey Price, Kirill Steklov is great and one of my favourite players so far, but Askarov would have solved out problem.

Reactions: zman77 and LDN

Fastpace

Do extra on every shift and you will be noticed !
Jul 25, 2015
; Now living in Northern Quebec region

Could it be Kooy was confident the #1 job was already his and was indirectly speaking to both rookies behind him through media, and come to realize now his #1 position wasn't so solid after all. We're all speculating we don't really know what's going on behind closed doors, at least it's keeping us posters busy though

I am kind of hoping Vegas won't hold off on sending Cotter back to London because of the rift the Knights are having with their prized goalie property Kooy

Reactions: zman77 and LDN

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Could it be Kooy was confident the #1 job was already his and was indirectly speaking to both rookies behind him through media, and come to realize now his #1 position wasn't so solid after all. We're all speculating we don't really know what's going on behind closed doors, at least it's keeping us posters busy though

I am kind of hoping Vegas won't hold off on sending Cotter back to London because of the rift the Knights are having with their prized goalie property Kooy

IF that kind of cat and mouse game was going on then move on with the goalie situation and trade Cotter if he gets sent back no card wasted then and isn't letting others dictate how you run your hockey club.

TF519

Jun 9, 2014
Your first post raised a concern regarding the current card count that you estimated to be 24. Is there anyone carded that you believe shouldn't be? In fairness that should be disclosed now. Otherwise we're going to be right back to last season where in January people with 20-20 hindsight start playing woulda-coulda-shoulda.
On record: Nelson and McGurn shouldn't have received cards.

There's far better OA's especially when they're already pigeonholing Moskal and Tymkin into the shutdown role. McGurn should be on a B card due to utilization. Dale is showing that McCue and Panwar are firmly on the fourth line. Why not use Rolofs full time on that line or do 11/7.

the man22

Jun 11, 2014
On record: Nelson and McGurn shouldn't have received cards.

There's far better OA's especially when they're already pigeonholing Moskal and Tymkin into the shutdown role. McGurn should be on a B card due to utilization. Dale is showing that McCue and Panwar are firmly on the fourth line. Why not use Rolofs full time on that line or do 11/7.

What makes you think McGurn is not on a Jr B Card? They have 7 games to decide and the first two he has played don't count towards that 8 total they have before they have to give him a full card.

TF519

Jun 9, 2014
What makes you think McGurn is not on a Jr B Card? They have 7 games to decide and the first two he has played don't count towards that 8 total they have before they have to give him a full card.
Think he would play some games with the Stars and isn't listed on their roster. I could be wrong but after last year's card debacle, it's justified.

Fastpace

Do extra on every shift and you will be noticed !
Jul 25, 2015
; Now living in Northern Quebec region
IF that kind of cat and mouse game was going on then move on with the goalie situation and trade Cotter if he gets sent back no card wasted then and isn't letting others dictate how you run your hockey club.

I am not too sure burning bridges down between NHL clubs is the way to go, junior teams do like to see their 18 and 19 year olds back for more seasons. Sometime it is what it is and junior teams do need to bend a little just to stay on the good side, after all it is the big clubs who pays the kids to play, they might want to hang on to an 18 old and do the development for themselves rather to send him back to a junior team they don't like because of some certain reputation to players they send back.

Reactions: KnightsWatch

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I am not too sure burning bridges down between NHL clubs is the way to go, junior teams do like to see their 18 and 19 year olds back for more seasons. Sometime it is what it is and junior teams do need to bend a little just to stay on the good side, after all it is the big clubs who pays the kids to play, they might want to hang on to an 18 old and do the development for themselves rather to send him back to a junior team they don't like because of some certain reputation to players they send back.
No bridge being burned they will find him somewhere to play. These junior teams don't need to be held hostage by the AHL. My point is IF Vegas was using Cotter as leverage in the Knights handling of Kooy why not call their bluff?

Reactions: TheCoach
No bridge being burned they will find him somewhere to play. These junior teams don't need to be held hostage by the AHL. My point is IF Vegas was using Cotter as leverage in the Knights handling of Kooy why not call their bluff?
Not getting Cotter back doesn't kill the season, it just gives us another card that we can fill as an OA spot. I'm more interested in how we will fair in the Kooy situation than I am putting all my apples in one basket for a maybe

Last edited:
He is not NTDP quality. Good player but not super high end.

He is playing at the same level as last season so he should be tearing it up.
Minor Hockey stats can be misleading. No need to waste time extensively scouting a player putting up big numbers in a watered down league. We've been guilty of just that in the past. If he pans out he will eventually land here

Last edited:

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
with 7 games played we are dead on .500 hockey. Give it another 10 games of figuring stuff out. Then we need to play at a usual 600 or 700 clip.....say we are 500 after 18 games....and play 600 the rest of the way we are still looking at a 40 win season. Which would be okay...just seems things are taking a while to get sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->