London Knights 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the acquisition! Costs very little, adds experience and an offensive weapon on the back end. Comparing Merkley to Timms is like comparing Pat Kane to Stranges...lol. Come on.
So what will be the play that has to happen where we say they “got Merked”? maybe an end to end rush resulting in a goal? Ah, I’m excited. Go Knights go!
His on ice play has never been the issue and has made him a 1st round NHL pick. So the fact he's a dressing room distraction can be rectified if the 19 other guys basically set it to him straight. If he's allowed to pollute the room..that's when the problems will start. Until then..I think we gotta let the kid play his game

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
If the Knights are going all-in this year, we should also push for Thomas Harley and Ty Dellandrea (Stars fan bias coming in hot).

Dellandrea is obvious, but Harley is nearly making the Stars this year, and Mississauga might only view him as a 1-year player at this point despite his junior eligibility for next season. We have some surplus in talented 17-year-olds that would be good trade chips for them.

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
To the poster who responded in regards to houser parsons comparison. I was. It comparing the two. Simply said people would have saidtheyd never see another houser either as a previous poster had said about parsons

Reactions: LDN

Hendy

Dec 1, 2018
Another thing that is worth something is that he's with us and not a competitor in the west.
I'm sure most of you remember Ryan Ellis when he was with Windsor. I was worried every time Ellis got the puck at the point because he had the unusual ability to get pucks through.
He will also draw us penalties so if it comes early in his shift he can still be on the powerplay and improve us there. Just pair him with someone fast like Foudy to recover on defensive mistakes.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Timm's Part Deux.
Except Merkley cannot play defense and is physically overmached.
Just what the LK need another softie.

Snickers heard around the OHL locker rooms.
Merkley is a similar player to Ryan MURPHY. You get what you get with him as a player. He is a highly offensive dman who is gifted at moving the puck. He is not the strapping physical defender that we still need. He does fill a need though as we had some trouble with moving the puck last two games.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Just pair him with someone fast like Foudy to recover on defensive mistakes.

I think that this is something you have to be careful with. You don't want players to gain resentment because the message is that they have to adjust their game to make up for someone's defensive mistakes. Accountability will be big. I do genuinely hope that Merkley gets it together though and is getting support off ice for any issues.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Another thing that is worth something is that he's with us and not a competitor in the west.
I'm sure most of you remember Ryan Ellis when he was with Windsor. I was worried every time Ellis got the puck at the point because he had the unusual ability to get pucks through.
He will also draw us penalties so if it comes early in his shift he can still be on the powerplay and improve us there. Just pair him with someone fast like Foudy to recover on defensive mistakes.

Is the suggestion to bring in Merkley and move Foudy to D with him?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Merkley is a similar player to Ryan MURPHY. You get what you get with him as a player. He is a highly offensive dman who is gifted at moving the puck. He is not the strapping physical defender that we still need. He does fill a need though as we had some trouble with moving the puck last two games.

Merkley and Murphy are comparable regarding their size and style of play. But there are a couple differences.

Merkley, like Murphy, is awesome with the puck and when his team has the puck. As soon as the other team gets the puck, he checks out.

Murphy on the other hand, did not check out when the other team had the puck. The issue with Murphy, was that he was a turnover machine. Steve Spott always said he would take the bad with the good with Murphy. But there was a lot of bad to take in the way of multiple turnovers and Murphy's nonchalance regarding them.

The other big difference between these two players, is their coaches.

Steve Spott allowed Murphy to get away with the multiple turnovers game in and game out without reprisal. He never missed a shift.

I doubt very much that Dale Hunter will allow Ryan Merkley to check out of his defensive responsibilities.

dmead

Jan 12, 2018
London
Well. If you're going to remove the training wheels off Dylan, I suppose it might be fun to introduce a speed wobble...

As much as I was against this move at least I'm going to be entertained this season.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Key point right there

We used to joke at Kitchener games that Steve Spott must have a picture of Ryan Murphy on his bedside table. It was obvious that Spott had a man crush on Murphy to the point of embarrassment.

Meanwhile, over in London, Dale Hunter sits superstar forward Robbie Schremp when his on ice play didn't jive with the game plan.

Frank the Skank

Jan 11, 2019
104 Row D 15
We used to joke at Kitchener games that Steve Spott must have a picture of Ryan Murphy on his bedside table. It was obvious that Spott had a man crush on Murphy to the point of embarrassment.

Meanwhile, over in London, Dale Hunter sits superstar forward Robbie Schremp when his on ice play didn't jive with the game plan.

It's funny though... how many players have not missed a shift over the years when fans thought should have been watching from the press box?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If the Knights are going all-in this year, we should also push for Thomas Harley and Ty Dellandrea (Stars fan bias coming in hot).

Dellandrea is obvious, but Harley is nearly making the Stars this year, and Mississauga might only view him as a 1-year player at this point despite his junior eligibility for next season. We have some surplus in talented 17-year-olds that would be good trade chips for them.

Evangelista would likely be the guy they want. RW is their biggest weakness right now and in their pipeline. Maybe a LW like Rolofs or Panwar would suffice as well, but LW playing time would be a lot harder to get right now and they have a handful of decent 02'/03' options to put there soon.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Peterborough Examiner:
Ryan Merkley exercised a no movement clause in his OHL contract to steer himself to the London Knights, his agent confirmed Thursday night.
The Peterborough Petes consummated a deal with London which, according to sources, will see them receive a third-round draft pick in 2022 and either a second- or third-round pick in 2024 depending on conditions not disclosed.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I think that this is something you have to be careful with. You don't want players to gain resentment because the message is that they have to adjust their game to make up for someone's defensive mistakes. Accountability will be big. I do genuinely hope that Merkley gets it together though and is getting support off ice for any issues.

I don’t see this as an issue although your reference to accountability is spot on any team with a Defence man that loves to rush the puck and join the offence know that they have to cover him off. Even the greats like Coffey and a Doughty etc. are generally paired with someone that “drops back” and is more defensive minded.

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
From what I've read from the San Jose Reporters and the Sharks,
Merkley had a concussion a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: Fastpace

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Key point right there

Burnett benched him and even scratched Merkley for a three game stretch. At that point in time the response was broken sticks and choice words as opposed to a shift in his game. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, however the cost was so minimal that I think it's a win for the Knights even if he plays a handful of games and is sent out of town.

:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->