HF Habs: List of Hab Scouts

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
lol who was that?

sorry I saw this and forgot to respond, it's Dave Starman, he used to be our NCAA scout before Nick Carriere took over for him, so he was fired or not brought back. He's a long time tv person for NCAA hockey, he's kind of like the non creepy NCAA version of Pierre McGurie as the dude really knows the players and programs.

Reactions: David Suzuki

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Starman might be gunning for his job back as he just pumped Timmins tires again, I'll post his comments in a bit, he said the Habs are high on Stapley and he liked the Poehling pick. Earlier he talked about being in on signing undrafted FA Adam Plant but I didn't record it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What is his background?

Don't look to Engels for any help ...

Yeah, we know Engels -- these are tough times for everyone. What does he bring the Habs, how did he get the job, did he deserve the job ... you know, the type of questions that fans would appreciate answers to.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What is his background?

Yeah, we know Engels -- these are tough times for everyone. What does he bring the Habs, how did he get the job, did he deserve the job ... you know, the type of questions that fans would appreciate answers to.

Engels has become a pretty useless plug.

Reactions: The Nightman

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
What is his background?

He was in Team Canada organization since 2016
He was Team Manager of Team Canada at the Spangler Cup in 2018-2019 and 2019-2020
He was Team Manager of Team Canada at the WJC this year
He won the Memorial Cup in 2009 with Windsor as a player
Played 5 years in CIS for New Brunswick

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
He was in Team Canada organization since 2016
He was Team Manager of Team Canada at the Spangler Cup in 2018-2019 and 2019-2020
He was Team Manager of Team Canada at the WJC this year
He won the Memorial Cup in 2009 with Windsor as a player
Played 5 years in CIS for New Brunswick

See you're already better than Engels.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Important to say too that he is replacing Ken Morin who has follow Churla in Florida

When did that happen?

When the Habs gave Florida permission to talk and hire Churla, there was one condition I had mentioned that the Habs needed to insist upon -- which is no poaching of Habs personnel over an extended period of time.

And of course, not only does Churla select Juulsen from under us but now you're saying, he hired one of our scouts? What's going on here? Who else from the Habs org. can Churla approach and convince to join Florida? I don't understand how this works.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
When did that happen?

When the Habs gave Florida permission to talk and hire Churla, there was one condition I had mentioned that the Habs needed to insist upon -- which is no poaching of Habs personnel over an extended period of time.

And of course, not only does Churla select Juulsen from under us but now you're saying, he hired one of our scouts? What's going on here? Who else from the Habs org. can Churla approach and convince to join Florida? I don't understand how this works.

Since December according to his Linked account and he’s the guy who was the west scout when they draft Juulsen so it put even more argument on why Florida claim him. For how it work I can’t answer that but it’s surprising because Morin was with the team since 2010. He probably got a better role with them

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Since December according to his Linked account and he’s the guy who was the west scout when they draft Juulsen so it put even more argument on why Florida claim him. For how it work I can’t answer that but it’s surprising because Morin was with the team since 2010. He probably got a better role with them

I hope the new guy makes up for Morin's loss. I wish we'd know the difference. Maybe it doesn't even matter, who knows.

I just find it dumb that an organization would give permission to another team to talk and hire a high ranking scouting individual and then have that individual poach Habs staff. I don't understand how that works.

If the Habs are giving permission, then they can assort that permission with certain conditions -- like Churla cannot contact, direcly or indirectly, any Habs employee, nor can he hire same, for a period of X number of months. Something that keeps Habs staff off limits for some time.

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I hope the new guy makes up for Morin's loss. I wish we'd know the difference. Maybe it doesn't even matter, who knows.

I just find it dumb that an organization would give permission to another team to talk and hire a high ranking scouting individual and then have that individual poach Habs staff. I don't understand how that works.

If the Habs are giving permission, then they can assort that permission with certain conditions -- like Churla cannot contact, direcly or indirectly, any Habs employee, nor can he hire same, for a period of X number of months. Something that keeps Habs staff off limits for some time.

I don’t know if there is a link with that but Morin is not on the Panthers official site yet but he’s not on the Habs staff anymore on the official site.

Last edited by a moderator:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Who dis guy?

"I was a big proponent of skating and that you had to be fast in order to play fast, but I think over the years I've learned that hockey sense, character, and compete are probably the three top traits for a prospect and a player," he confirmed. "If you can't think the game, and if you're not going to compete, and if you're not a good person with the right character, you're not going to be able to play in the NHL.

"Hockey sense translates into decision making: making the right decisions at the right time, being a team player, and ultimately doing what it takes in order to win," he elaborated. "If you go into an arena to look at hockey sense, you want to see how a player handles the puck. You want to see what decisions he's making in the defensive zone -- is he tracking back? Is he picking up a man? Is he positionally sound? Can he play within a system and within a structure? Can he take instructions from his coaches and adjust? It comes down to that and just having a real strong feel for the game, but I also feel that stems from a love of the game and it's something that's developed at a young age."

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
we might see how good or not Shurton is as I believe i've read it's expected to be a solid crop from the WHL, although if they start up the season soon we'll have a much better idea

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad