I haven't been to the Habs ops page for a bit but here's what they list,

Amateur Scouting

North America

Boisvert - International Crossover scout

Audette - Q
Bobby Kinsella - USA
Matt Turek - OHL
Ben Shutron - Canada
Trevor Hanson - USA (not sure if he's still with us)
Riendeau - amateur scout (goalies) and Free Agent Scouting (Euro)

Victor Posa ? - NCAA (not sure if he's still with us)

Yannick St.Pierre - video scout

Euro
Christer Rockstrom - Chief European Scout

Sweden - Tommy Lehman
Russia - Artem Telepin
Finland - Hannu Laine
Eastern Euro - Michal Krupa

Pro Scouts

Eric Crawford - Director

Reid Simpson - West
Sean Burke - West and goalie consultant
David MacLean - no listing
Nick Carriere - NCAA

Scott Masters ?- West

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Now Krupa I believe he was our Czech scout but perhaps he got a promotion

Laine is listed as both a pro and amateur scout. He's been with us since '00, damn that's like 5 GM's he's worked for. He's listed on eliteprospects as Euro scout till '16-'17 and then it says Finland. On the Habs site it just says European scout. I thought I heard something about him being our Finnish scout. Makes sense that you would have Rockstrom in Sweden and Laine in Finland, they can cross over if need be and then bring in Timmins for the guys like Kotka, Ylonen, Ikoen, DLR, the high picks.

Lehman played in the NHL for boston and mostly in the SHL, was just hired last year so he had to be a part of the Norlinder pick I would think.

Trevor Hanson played in the NCAA, was a scout in the Q for 6 years for the Sea Dogs, then was a scout for the Yotes from '11-'12 to '17-'18.

Kinsella must be our USHL scout, he was a scout there from '03 to '12 with various roles from scout to director of scouting to assistant coach.

Matt Turek played in the ECHL, was a scout for Hamilton Bulldogs for 2 years '15-'17, then in '17-'18 we hired him. As of last year he's also listed as director of player personnel for Hamilton as well as a scout for us.

Elite prospects has Victor Posa but he's not on the Habs site. Was a scout for the Yotes from '11-'16. We hired him in '16-'17 to scout Michigan for 2 years and last year he was just listed an NCAA Free Agent scout.

When did Larry's son get hired as our NCAA scout? I know we had Dave Starman as our NCAA scout since 2015, he was with the leafs before that I believe. I hope he still works for us as he's very knowledgeable about NCAA players.

David MacLean was a pro scout for the Yotes for 10 years and then we hired for the last 2 seasons.

Eliteprospects has Scott Masters as a pro scout for the West, he was a scout for the panters, blues, then we hired him in '13-'14 on the amateur side till '16-'17 where he moved to the pro side. He's not listed on the Habs site though.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I saw at the summer showcase tournament that's going on, a few days ago they showed the 2 directors of scouting for the pro and amateur in Churla and Crawford. I thought it was a bit odd that the 2 directors were there but I guess since most of these players are drafted already but there are a few undrafted, that both would be there.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So Nick is back? lol It's who you know folks. Nothing else.

We had so much more scouts. Vic Posa isn't there either anymore. I guess we had to cut somewhere...lol

Reactions: Andrei79

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So Nick is back? lol

It's who you know folks. Nothing else.

well I'm sure his dad didn't want to see his son out of work after we fired him when he was an assistant coach. Guess he couldn't find work above NCAA Div III, which isn't a surprise to me but I remember when he was hired I took heat for questioning why we would hire someone out of Div III which is just very rare to see them promoted to the AHL. I wish my dad worked for the Habs, i'd love to be an NCAA scout, love it when they have the student bands at the games.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
well I'm sure his dad didn't want to see his son out of work after we fired him when he was an assistant coach. Guess he couldn't find work above NCAA Div III, which isn't a surprise to me but I remember when he was hired I took heat for questioning why we would hire someone out of Div III which is just very rare to see them promoted to the AHL. I wish my dad worked for the Habs, i'd love to be an NCAA scout, love it when they have the student bands at the games.

I also said the same thing. Not only division III but losing in Division III.

As far as Starman is concerned, if I'm not mistaken, when he was working with us, his Twitter signature had him working for us. He doesn't anymore.

Reactions: montreal

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You can see a detailed list of the scouts on eliteprospect too, I recall a bit more names but maybe Im not remembering right.

Anyway, having one scout for one league when youre one of the richest team in the world is absolutely ridiculous. No wonder we suck so hard.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I also said the same thing. Not only division III but losing in Division III.

As far as Starman is concerned, if I'm not mistaken, when he was working with us, his Twitter signature had him working for us. He doesn't anymore.

I know they didn't have a pic of him on their site but if they let him go for Larry's kid, that's just f***ed.

elite prospects still has him listed working for us but they may not have updated it as it has him with us last year.

Elite Prospects - Dave Starman Team Staff Profile

Reactions: Whitesnake

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Haven't been impressed by Rockstrom in recent years tbh, i hope we're not keeping him just cus of his resume/who he is.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm actually surprised Carriere is still in the organization. I don't know what his qualifications are as a scout. But I'm happy he's not an assistant coach with a direct influence on Habs' prospects in the AHL. But I wasn't expecting him to stay in the organization.

However, how does the NCAA require a pro scout? Is it for those players who are about to end their collegiate careers and are no longer eligible to return for college hockey (a la Jimmy Schuldt?) Because other than that, what does the NCAA require a pro scout for?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm actually surprised Carriere is still in the organization. I don't know what his qualifications are as a scout. But I'm happy he's not an assistant coach with a direct influence on Habs' prospects in the AHL. But I wasn't expecting him to stay in the organization.

However, how does the NCAA require a pro scout? Is it for those players who are about to end their collegiate careers and are no longer eligible to return for college hockey (a la Jimmy Schuldt?) Because other than that, what does the NCAA require a pro scout for?
I think pro scouts may also scout drafted players in case of trades.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I cleaned up the op as I wasn't sure what I was going for when I first started this, started out just talking about our struggles in Sweden and before the last few years in Finland so it was just about the Euro scouts but then I saw some names listed I hadn't heard and thought I would create a thread.

The scout in the Q and in Sweden should be changed

Clearly. They did add a new scout in Sweden last year.

Yes you need a scout in the NCAA. First there are undrafted players that are draft eligible, guys like Poehling etc.. in '20 you have Holloway who could be a top 10 pick.

Then you have undrafted FA's, I assume this falls under the amateur side.

Then you have other teams draft picks that you need to keep an eye on for trades.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yes you need a scout in the NCAA. First there are undrafted players that are draft eligible, guys like Poehling etc.. in '20 you have Holloway who could be a top 10 pick.

Then you have undrafted FA's, I assume this falls under the amateur side.

Then you have other teams draft picks that you need to keep an eye on for trades.

Draft eligible and undrafted FA's would be under the purview of the amateur scouts.

Carriere is listed as a pro scout for the NCAA. Which, as you mention, could be to scout other teams' drafted players for potential trades. That part makes sense to why there is a pro scout specifically for the NCAA.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Draft eligible and undrafted FA's would be under the purview of the amateur scouts.

Carriere is listed as a pro scout for the NCAA. Which, as you mention, could be to scout other teams' drafted players for potential trades. That part makes sense to why there is a pro scout specifically for the NCAA.

Well it would make more sense if they had a few guys covering the NCAA since most scouts are area based as there are so few undrafted so a scout should be able to cover all of the undrafted/FA/drafted. What you would want one scout in the boston area to cover the Hockey East and ECAC, another in the midwest to cover Minnesota, North Dakota, Michigan.

The Habs had Victor Posa for the last years scouting the NCAA, and Dave Starman. Posa is listed for the first 2 years as a scout in Michigan and then it says he was a NCAA Free Agent scout. Starman travels all over the country due to working for CBS sports so he can cover all kinds of teams.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Well it would make more sense if they had a few guys covering the NCAA since most scouts are area based as there are so few undrafted so a scout should be able to cover all of the undrafted/FA/drafted. What you would want one scout in the boston area to cover the Hockey East and ECAC, another in the midwest to cover Minnesota, North Dakota, Michigan.

The Habs had Victor Posa for the last years scouting the NCAA, and Dave Starman. Posa is listed for the first 2 years as a scout in Michigan and then it says he was a NCAA Free Agent scout. Starman travels all over the country due to working for CBS sports so he can cover all kinds of teams.

In their amateur scouting department, they currently have Bobby Kinsella, who is listed as a scout for USA. And then Matt Turek and Ken Morin, who are simply listed without any specific area linked to them.

With the attention Habs give to the American colleges, you have to think they have more than one guy on the circuit.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In their amateur scouting department, they currently have Bobby Kinsella, who is listed as a scout for USA. And then Matt Turek and Ken Morin, who are simply listed without any specific area linked to them.

With the attention Habs give to the American colleges, you have to think they have more than one guy on the circuit.

Kinsella has to be the USHL scout has he was a USHL scout and director of scouting and an assistant coach in the USHL.

Turek works for the Hamilton Bulldogs in the OHL so clearly he's our OHL scout, why don't they list that though I don't know.

Morin is listed on eliteprospects as our WHL scout.

Elite Prospects - Ken Morin Team Staff Profile

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In regards to Rockstrom, it's pretty crazy the players he found before yet with us nothing,

Elite Prospects - Christer Rockström Team Staff Profile

Sweden - Lidstrom, Lundqvist, Sundstrom, Kim Johnsson (injuries impacted him but had some good years with the flyers), Mattias Norstrom (over 900 NHL games), Carl Hagelin, Jesper Fast, Garpenlov (over 600 NHL games)

The Russians - Fedorov, Kovalev, Kozlov, Kostantinov, Anisimov, Tyutin, Cherepanov (think he would have been a good one)

Plus 2 Finns - Marek Zidlicky and Larui Korpikoski (over 600 NHL games)

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
In regards to Rockstrom, it's pretty crazy the players he found before yet with us nothing,

Elite Prospects - Christer Rockström Team Staff Profile

Sweden - Lidstrom, Lundqvist, Sundstrom, Kim Johnsson (injuries impacted him but had some good years with the flyers), Mattias Norstrom (over 900 NHL games), Carl Hagelin, Jesper Fast, Garpenlov (over 600 NHL games)

The Russians - Fedorov, Kovalev, Kozlov, Kostantinov, Anisimov, Tyutin, Cherepanov (think he would have been a good one)

Plus 2 Finns - Marek Zidlicky and Larui Korpikoski (over 600 NHL games)

Zidlicky is a Czech, drafted from the Liiga in 2001.

But yeah, that's quite the resume, too bad nothing really happened with us since...

But like some said, knowing Habs brass and their love for 'pedigree/resume/friend of friends' type of people, Rockstrom is perhaps still there because of that list. Likely the same with Audette, Churla, Burke, Simpson and of course, Carriere.

Now, there's one culprit above all of them in that list, to me at least, Eric Crawford. Can't wait til the day he's gone.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I asked the question to DAve himself on TWitter, and the answer to Are you still a habs scout is a resounding....NO.

Reactions: montreal

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Zidlicky is a Czech, drafted from the Liiga in 2001.

But yeah, that's quite the resume, too bad nothing really happened with us since...

But like some said, knowing Habs brass and their love for 'pedigree/resume/friend of friends' type of people, Rockstrom is perhaps still there because of that list. Likely the same with Audette, Churla, Burke, Simpson and of course, Carriere.

Now, there's one culprit above all of them in that list, to me at least, Eric Crawford. Can't wait til the day he's gone.

I would say our head pro scout improved a lot last year. Crawford may have been a reason for bad player evaluations in 2017 but he also likely influenced decisions to get Domi, Tatar, Armia, Kulak, Weal, Folin and Thompson last year. Those were good pro evaluations IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->