HF Habs: List of Hab Scouts

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
And how are you qualified to evaluate what it takes to be qualified to do that job ? lol

lol....How are you qualified to evaluate how a player must play? Or how management must manage? Or how are you even qualified to qualify my posts when you don't know my background? What the f*** is this? lollll

As a scout in Québec, tell me the insane results we had since he was here?

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
lol....How are you qualified to evaluate how a player must play? Or how management must manage? Or how are you even qualified to qualify my posts when you don't know my background? What the f*** is this? lollll

As a scout in Québec, tell me the insane results we had since he was here?
you don't know mine either :laugh:

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Hockey Operations

Are any of these scouts worth keeping around?

Our drafting has been so bad over the past 15 years. TT's firing is a great start but his entire staff is still employed with the Habs. These are people who must have shared his mindset to some degree. I would love to see a wholesale firing and get a fresh scouting staff.

Yannick St-Pierre (AKA DraftDynasty) is a video scout who's been with the team since January 2021 who I would keep.

Last edited:

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
Hockey Operations

Our drafting has been so bad over the past 15 years. TT's firing is a great start but his entire staff is still employed with the Habs. These are people who must have shared his mindset to some degree. I would love to see a wholesale firing and get a fresh scouting staff.

Yannick St-Pierre (AKA DraftDynasty) is a video scout who's been with the team since January 2021 who I would keep.
If Vincent Riendeau had anything to do with Dichow, Dobes, Primeau and Vrbetic.... I'd keep him around

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I would keep Ben Shutron, he was just hired and was with team Canada before, but I heard that the contract of a lot of scout was finishing this year like Timmins

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Hockey Operations

Hard to say, everyone had good/bad picks in the last 3 years, even the Q scouts. I think it's going to be a one on one evaluation by whoever becomes head scout.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
There's a lot wrong with that scouting staff: Rockstrom as chief European Scout for one. He has been here since 10-11. You want to know the European players selected while he was here? Nygren, Pribyl, Nystrom, Collberg, Reway, Lehkonen, de la Rose, Vejdemo, Henrikson, Ikonen, Olofsson, Ylonen, KK, Dichow, Norlinder.

I see Lapointe took over as the director of scouting. That makes me go hmmmmmmmmm.

But the biggest problem I see is this: The USA is the second-largest contributor of players to the NHL and quickly catching up to Canada. The Habs have one scout for the whole USA. They have three for Canada.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
There's a lot wrong with that scouting staff: Rockstrom as chief European Scout for one. He has been here since 10-11. You want to know the European players selected while he was here? Nygren, Pribyl, Nystrom, Collberg, Reway, Lehkonen, de la Rose, Vejdemo, Henrikson, Ikonen, Olofsson, Ylonen, KK, Dichow, Norlinder.

I see Lapointe took over as the director of scouting. That makes me go hmmmmmmmmm.

But the biggest problem I see is this: The USA is the second-largest contributor of players to the NHL and quickly catching up to Canada. The Habs have one scout for the whole USA. They have three for Canada.
I don’t know for Lapointe, he was name head scout last season and for know last draft look good except Mailloux. I’m not saying he’s the one I want as head scout, but he have the benefit of the doubt for know. Agree with Rockstrom though he really need to go

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I think the odds of Rockstrom sticking around much longer are fairly low. Echo that sentiment for Hannu Laine; great career, but it's time for a new direction.

Boisvert likely deserving of a hard look as well.

Kinsella may also be on his way out, we've taken a lot of kicks at the can from the US since 2012 without much to show for it. But our picks in recent years are more encouraging, so I have less conviction on that one.

Reactions: Gravity

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018

Having only three scouts for Canada is ridiculous, let's invest in our scouting and development, better AND more.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The guy who recommended Romanov strongly in 2018 was Artem Telepin. I don't know if he's still the Russian scout, or one of them, but if I was either Hughes or Gorton, I'd look at the rest of his track record, because that was a great call.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The guy who recommended Romanov strongly in 2018 was Artem Telepin. I don't know if he's still the Russian scout, or one of them, but if I was either Hughes or Gorton, I'd look at the rest of his track record, because that was a great call.

He's still our Russian scout. He started out with the Jackets in their first year and was there a long time. He picked Mozyakin in the 9th round, a lot of people thought if he came over he would be a very good NHLer, just dominated in Russia but we'll never know. What's impressive is that he found him before he did anything in what the KHL was known as back then the RSL. The next year after he picked him he was in the RSL and putting up good numbers. After 3 years he would become one of the top scorers to breaking out and being the best player in the league for a long time.

But he had 2 big misses with the Jackets in Fliatov (6th OA) and Zherdev (4th OA). At least Zherdev was a bit like Andrei Kostitsyn for us, maybe a little better but he didn't stick around that long before going back to Russia.

With the Jackets and when he started with us he was listed just as Euro Scout, in 2016-17 it was changed to Euro Scout Russia and has been since though I would guess he's mostly scouted Russian players but then sees Euros at tournaments like the 4 and 5 Nations, etc..

The interesting thing is since he came over for the 2013 draft, the 1st Russian we picked was Romanov in 2018 but have picked a Russian player every draft since. Khisamutdinov at 170th OA in '19, Gordin at 171st OA in '20 and Kostenko at 87th OA and Sobolev at 142nd OA.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm actually surprised Carriere is still in the organization. I don't know what his qualifications are as a scout. But I'm happy he's not an assistant coach with a direct influence on Habs' prospects in the AHL. But I wasn't expecting him to stay in the organization.

However, how does the NCAA require a pro scout? Is it for those players who are about to end their collegiate careers and are no longer eligible to return for college hockey (a la Jimmy Schuldt?) Because other than that, what does the NCAA require a pro scout for?
Undrafted players?

If true then his job is like receiving a participation trophy. He's not fired but it's almost as he is.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Undrafted players?

If true then his job is like receiving a participation trophy. He's not fired but it's almost as he is.

August 2nd, 2019 :laugh:

Scouting the NCAA is important, not sure what is "participation trophy" about it. Also, Carriere is Director of the minor affiliates now.

Edit: Sorry it's named minor leagues affiliate liaison now.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It was already reported a while ago the Neil Little was listed as a Habs scout at a Hershey Bears game. Godin & Basu both confirmed in The Athletic that Little is the team's goaltending scout.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00