HF Habs: List of Hab Scouts

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I would say our head pro scout improved a lot last year. Crawford may have been a reason for bad player evaluations in 2017 but he also likely influenced decisions to get Domi, Tatar, Armia, Kulak, Weal, Folin and Thompson last year. Those were good pro evaluations IMO.
At some point remember a article which had team interested in Sean Burke for ass. GM and they were giving him a lot of credit for most of these guys.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I always thought Scott Mellanby was a pro scout but apparently he's an Assistant GM?

Also wasn't Mike Comrie or Ethan Moreau our Pro Scout for the Western Conference for a while?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The other thing I noticed, why so many former Yotes scouts? Shouldn't we be hiring scouts that were with top drafting teams? Just seems odd so many guys worked for the Yotes and then us.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The other thing I noticed, why so many former Yotes scouts? Shouldn't we be hiring scouts that were with top drafting teams? Just seems odd so many guys worked for the Yotes and then us.
Most likely has to do with someone in the upper levels working with the Coyotes?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Burke should be promote assistant GM before Lapointe personally if Mellanby is hired in Minny
Believe Mellanby and Burke are good friends so would not be surprised if one of the two gets a gm job, the other one would follow him to the new team.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I actually like Sean Burke, I'm not sure Scott Mellanby brings anything of value to the table.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Most likely has to do with someone in the upper levels working with the Coyotes?

I can't think of who that would be. Goat was with the Sens and Ducks so it wasn't him. Gainey was with Dallas. MB the Hawks. Dudley was with the Hawks, TB, panthers, thrashers, so it wasn't him. It wasn't Mellanby since he was with the blues and nucks.

We had Vaughn Karpan here for a while, another scout we hired away from the Yotes, he was their director of scouting but was hired as an amateur scout in '05-06 and then switched to the pro side in '10-'11. He became the director of pro scouting in '15-'16 and then left for Vegas the next year. '15-'16 had some rough trades, Kassian to the oilers for Ben Scribbles, the whole John Scott thing, DSP to NJ for Matteau.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
You can see a detailed list of the scouts on eliteprospect too, I recall a bit more names but maybe Im not remembering right.

Anyway, having one scout for one league when youre one of the richest team in the world is absolutely ridiculous. No wonder we suck so hard.

i was gonna say that... holy shit it doesn't make sense...

everyone scouts differently and value different skillset, Having 1 guy for each league is an absolute joke, you can't even have people challenging your thoughts or debate about players. No wonder you miss on players when you have a single vision.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
What kind of salary does a usual scout bring? Can't they find cheap scouts to guarantee having at least 3-4 per major junior leagues? I really don't know how it works so apologies for my ignorance. Arent there a lot of young single people without a job they could ''train'' to become a scout and pay a relatively small salary (like 40k + travel expenses or something, maybe 25k-30k) for a while before a few of them become big shots if they become good ?

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
One things for sure, our scouting staff is way tougher than the lineup we have today. Churla, Simpson, Burke and Mellanby would still handle everyone on the Habs roster now with relative ease.

Zing, never heard this before!

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
What kind of salary does a usual scout bring? Can't they find cheap scouts to guarantee having at least 3-4 per major junior leagues? I really don't know how it works so apologies for my ignorance. Arent there a lot of young single people without a job they could ''train'' to become a scout and pay a relatively small salary (like 40k + travel expenses or something, maybe 25k-30k) for a while before a few of them become big shots if they become good ?

Ex players and such get priority, makes sense because they already have very high game knowledge. It's kind of like.. post NHL career job security (like they need it lol, but some like staying involved in the game in some way).

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Scout audette and boisvert need to be remove. During draft, they are sit very far away from timmins. I dont know if its a coincidence, but team who are drafing often from the Q like philly, tampa, anaheim, nasville. Theirs amateurs scout are sit next to theirs director

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Now Krupa I believe he was our Czech scout but perhaps he got a promotion

Laine is listed as both a pro and amateur scout. He's been with us since '00, damn that's like 5 GM's he's worked for. He's listed on eliteprospects as Euro scout till '16-'17 and then it says Finland. On the Habs site it just says European scout. I thought I heard something about him being our Finnish scout. Makes sense that you would have Rockstrom in Sweden and Laine in Finland, they can cross over if need be and then bring in Timmins for the guys like Kotka, Ylonen, Ikoen, DLR, the high picks.

Lehman played in the NHL for boston and mostly in the SHL, was just hired last year so he had to be a part of the Norlinder pick I would think.

Trevor Hanson played in the NCAA, was a scout in the Q for 6 years for the Sea Dogs, then was a scout for the Yotes from '11-'12 to '17-'18.

Kinsella must be our USHL scout, he was a scout there from '03 to '12 with various roles from scout to director of scouting to assistant coach.

Matt Turek played in the ECHL, was a scout for Hamilton Bulldogs for 2 years '15-'17, then in '17-'18 we hired him. As of last year he's also listed as director of player personnel for Hamilton as well as a scout for us.

Elite prospects has Victor Posa but he's not on the Habs site. Was a scout for the Yotes from '11-'16. We hired him in '16-'17 to scout Michigan for 2 years and last year he was just listed an NCAA Free Agent scout.

When did Larry's son get hired as our NCAA scout? I know we had Dave Starman as our NCAA scout since 2015, he was with the leafs before that I believe. I hope he still works for us as he's very knowledgeable about NCAA players.

David MacLean was a pro scout for the Yotes for 10 years and then we hired for the last 2 seasons.

Eliteprospects has Scott Masters as a pro scout for the West, he was a scout for the panters, blues, then we hired him in '13-'14 on the amateur side till '16-'17 where he moved to the pro side. He's not listed on the Habs site though.

Well we need new bloodooking at Sweden because we completely suck picking Swedes. I mean Naslund 40 years ago or so ?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Well we need new bloodooking at Sweden because we completely suck picking Swedes. I mean Naslund 40 years ago or so ?

Historically, the Habs barely ever pick from Sweden. The last to play a game for the Habs was DLR and last one who had a NHL career was... Popovic.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

if you look a few posts up I brought up that they did in fact hire a new scout for Sweden last year so I would assume he was a big part of Norlinder so we'll see how that goes.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
if you look a few posts up I brought up that they did in fact hire a new scout for Sweden last year so I would assume he was a big part of Norlinder so we'll see how that goes.

I should have hit reply to your post. Yes , I saw your post and was pleased with someone new there, so that is why I posted what I did.

When a team constantly hits well below average ( I dont need stats to know not picking one top player in 40 years from Sweden is bad ) from a specific geography, league, nationality etc ( ring any other bells ? ), for an extended period of time, you know you need to look at your scouting. Hey, lets double the number of amateur scouts we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad