List active players your team regrets trading away

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
MB's a bargain guy. He doesn't trade away his players he let them walk (except Patch... good trade that one!)

The most obvious is Sergachev, won't expand why.

But I think a surprising name would be Lars Eller . Now, I don't fault MB for making that trade, a 26 pts center for 2 2nd rounders is great value! Especially considering the team had Galchenyuk and Plekanec as a duo of promising prospect and solid 2-way veteran, + Danault coming in the pipeline. But with the way it went, Galch became worst every year, Plekanec fell off a cliff, a guy like Eller would have been nice to give Kotkaniemi some time to adjust to the NHL instead of rushing him.

I would probably redo the trade even knowing the way history played out but Montreal doesn't regret 2/3 core players they traded away lately (Subban, Patch, Serg).

As a fun one Devan Dubnyk was a Hab for a very short while :P

MTL killed it this past offseason

Anderson for Domi was a steal. Signing of Toffoli

And the draft also. Tuch pick. Hate it

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Not sure if it was the right move. Leafs are less edgier now. But the package Leaf got in return wasn't great

The return was awful! I probably wouldn't regret it if they had brought back a good player. Instead we got a significant downgrade on Kadri (Kerfoot) and a defenceman who was the worst possible fit for the team (Barrie). Fortunately the mistake with Barrie was addressed this past off-season.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
No GM in history would blow up the team after making it to the 2nd round. The fact that they blew it up as early as they did was bold enough.

Then what were they thinking trading away Stepan, essentially their most important players at the most important position in the sport where they were notoriously weak?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Reavo is a really good energy guy, and he's able to actually score and set up too. The blues kinda miss him, even if blais and barbashev do that job with more added skill

I see a 15pt player that doesnt penalty kill or power play. You miss him more than a guy that scored 25 or more goals in 4 of 5 seasons in Washington? Ok.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
I don't know if the Jets regret it, but I sure miss Patrik Laine. Other than that I don't think the Jets regret any trades. Perks of being a fan in an undesirable market when they sign horrible contracts elsewhere.

I regret the Rolovic part of the trade. Would have zero regrets about Laine for PLD straight up

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Patric Hornqvist has 19 points in 22 games....

soooo yea, him. Although, our coach was too inept to find him a spot in the top 6 here, so he would have been buried in our awful bottom six, where players go to die.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

soooo yea, him. Although, our coach was too inept to find him a spot in the top 6 here, so he would have been buried in our awful bottom six, where players go to die.

where is he now again?

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021

you say that and then ZAR just comes in and becomes god for the penguins

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
cry_crop_north.jpg

Reactions: King Karl

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
For the Jets trading their 13th pick to Vegas (down to 24th) so they wouldn't select Toby Enstrom and Vegas getting Nick Suzuki with the pick...I know Toby had a NMC but with no deals in place still could have exposed Armia.

Basically Armia (Enstrom) and Vesalainen for Suzuki (or Foote, Brannstrom, Valimaki, Liljegren, Thomas, Yamamoto)

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
lmfao i didnt expect that name, but i meant zach aston-reece. dude is a monster on their bottom 6 somehow and he's unsung for the job he does for the pens

:laugh: I knew who you meant... I could resist when I read the post about the god-like ZAR.

I like the player too, but I’ve had this handle for years.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
For the Caps it's Forsberg, of course.

Second might be Burakovsky, but Caps fans don't mind it. He didn't step up in DC, and he had plenty of chances. Most are genuinely happy for his success in Colorado.

They didn't have much of a choice with Burakovsky. It was either him or Vrana, and Vrana is the same caliber and type of player.

Obviously Burakovsky has had great success in Colorado, but that's hindsight. The Capitals made their decision based on the trajectory of the players at the time, and that decision was reasonable at the time when they made it. Even with hindsight I'm not sure they do anything different.

Not so with Forsberg - that trade was just plain dumb.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
While I'm sure Vegas is happy with Pacioretty, I'm sure the organization wishes they didn't have to give up Nick Suzuki to get him.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
:laugh: I knew who you meant... I could resist when I read the post about the god-like ZAR.

I like the player too, but I’ve had this handle for years.
I hate player the pens for those guys like rust, reece and guentzel lol
Cant compare the two. Pageau didnt make sense for ottawa longterm and money wise with White already locked in.

Stone... that's arguably worse one in history.
Pageau you at least got value for and he was never staying long term under melnyk, be real. Stone hurts more because he's a top tier player and you only got brannstrom in return really

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021

Pageau you at least got value for and he was never staying long term under melnyk, be real. Stone hurts more because he's a top tier player and you only got brannstrom in return really
wait whoops that first one was a draft, my bad.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Kane? No
Bogo? No
Laine? No
Jack? No
Armia? No

Only trade I didn’t like that the Jets did was when they moved back 3-4 spots (in first rd) in the draft to protect Toby and picked Stanley. I hated that move by Chevy.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Was also supposed to be our future captain, in his prime, and was someone the young guys loved to be around. Ugh. I've beaten this to death in the Sens board already.

Reactions: FractionTwo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad