List active players your team regrets trading away

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
NYI would technically be the home town team since he grew up on Long Island so he can't even claim that as a reason!
He grew up a rangers fan

don't ask how, thats just sad he hated the isles despite being a few minutes from the colli

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
He grew up a rangers fan

don't ask how, thats just sad he hated the isles despite being a few minutes from the colli

Yeah, yeah, I know. But growing up a Rangers fan doesn't technically make them home town team. I mean, kind of, but really home town team should be whatever team is from your area. I guess we'll say childhood favourite team. Now I'm just being picky but whatever. Got nothing better to do.

Reactions: FractionTwo

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
It was so Vegas would take Haula, whose contract was expiring and likely wasn't going to be re-signed, instead of Staal, Dumba or Scandella. If I remember correctly, Fletcher made a few prospects available for the trade and Vegas chose Tuch. I don't know if there would have been a better way to get Vegas to take one of Coyle, Nino or Zucker without giving up Tuch, or if they would have just wanted to take Dumba. Fletcher could have also just protected all four defensemen and let them take one of the young forwards or Scandella.

All I know is Minnesota could really use Tuch these days.
But all those players protected...
Coyle, Niederreiter, Zucker, Staal, Scandella...all gone.
And Dumba is still the problem...

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
captain-stone.jpg

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Dumba isn't really a problem in regards to expansion this time around. You protect him over Greenway, Hartman, Foligno without question, and you don't really worry too much about losing any of those three either. Hopefully Guerin studies last expansion draft and doesn't give up Boldy to protect Greenway.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
McDonagh. Our d-corps would look pretty sweet right now if we still had him. McD + JT Miller for Namestnikov, Howden, and Hajek + 2 picks is a bad trade. Only hope is that Nils Lundkvist is the real deal will make it sting less but still bad.

The McDonagh we got his last two years in NY was not worth the $8 million+ we would have had to give him and by year 3 of that extension massively regretting it.

The return sucked, but that does not mean trading McDonagh was the wrong idea.

Where Gorton really screwed up was not kicking off the rebuild the second we lost Game 6 against Ottawa. Mac should have been out the door right alongside Stepan.

Instead Gorton held on to him for one more kick at the can and trapped himself in a box being forced to trade him at the deadline with a limited market and having to compete with the best defenseman in the league also on the trade block.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
McDonagh. Our d-corps would look pretty sweet right now if we still had him. McD + JT Miller for Namestnikov, Howden, and Hajek + 2 picks is a bad trade. Only hope is that Nils Lundkvist is the real deal will make it sting less but still bad.

wasn't the issue though that RM didn't want to resign OR NYR didn't want to , due to rebuild plan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
For the Sharks, there really isn’t anyone trade wise. Maybe Kuraly or Norris. Joe Pavelski UFA wise. If we add in draft picks we traded away, Trent Frederic (just cause I don’t want Jones) and Stutzle obviously but I still like EK and think he will turn it around a bit. If we want to go way back, Patches or Bonino.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
wasn't the issue though that RM didn't want to resign OR NYR didn't want to , due to rebuild plan
yeah it was the smart thing to do at the time. If we keep McD we probably don't win the lottery 2 years in a row. I'm just picturing plugging him in to this current team, which would be nice.

Reactions: rocketdan9

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The McDonagh we got his last two years in NY was not worth the $8 million+ we would have had to give him and by year 3 of that extension massively regretting it.

The return sucked, but that does not mean trading McDonagh was the wrong idea.

Where Gorton really screwed up was not kicking off the rebuild the second we lost Game 6 against Ottawa. Mac should have been out the door right alongside Stepan.

Instead Gorton held on to him for one more kick at the can and trapped himself in a box being forced to trade him at the deadline with a limited market and having to compete with the best defenseman in the league also on the trade block.
No GM in history would blow up the team after making it to the 2nd round. The fact that they blew it up as early as they did was bold enough.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Ron Tugnutt

Marian Hossa

I won't list the recent Sens' departures, since I'm glad they were able to get out when they did.

edit: Oh sorry OP- you said "active"

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Dumba is only there because he's probably protected for brownie points imo. He's such a mediocre defenseman who just can snipe it. Minny should just expose him to seattle because he's the kind of guy I can see the kraken using to advertise their games

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Carl Gunnarsson
Tuukka Rask
No longer playing, Russ Courtnall.
And going way back, Tim Horton.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I think someone else mentioned it, Nazem Kadri. At the time I was open to trading him because of the issues, but certainly not for the return they got (the horror of that trade still pains me). Now I think I was crazy to ever think that. He would really complete the Leafs' forwards if you could swap him and Kerfoot.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Dumba isn't really a problem in regards to expansion this time around. You protect him over Greenway, Hartman, Foligno without question, and you don't really worry too much about losing any of those three either. Hopefully Guerin studies last expansion draft and doesn't give up Boldy to protect Greenway.
Are Greenway, Hartman and Foligno players you‘d like to have in your line-up?
Yes!
Giving Dumba to Vegas would have saved all the issues. And maybe some of the horrible trades afterwards.
Scandella+Haula+Tuch > Dumba
Niederreiter > Rask
Coyle > Donato

Kuemper, Kahkonen

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin -Scandella

Granlund - Staal - Tuch
Kaprizov - Ek - Zuccarello
Greenway - Haula - Coyle

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
MB's a bargain guy. He doesn't trade away his players he let them walk (except Patch... good trade that one!)

The most obvious is Sergachev, won't expand why.

But I think a surprising name would be Lars Eller . Now, I don't fault MB for making that trade, a 26 pts center for 2 2nd rounders is great value! Especially considering the team had Galchenyuk and Plekanec as a duo of promising prospect and solid 2-way veteran, + Danault coming in the pipeline. But with the way it went, Galch became worst every year, Plekanec fell off a cliff, a guy like Eller would have been nice to give Kotkaniemi some time to adjust to the NHL instead of rushing him.

I would probably redo the trade even knowing the way history played out but Montreal doesn't regret 2/3 core players they traded away lately (Subban, Patch, Serg).

As a fun one Devan Dubnyk was a Hab for a very short while :P

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think someone else mentioned it, Nazem Kadri. At the time I was open to trading him because of the issues, but certainly not for the return they got (the horror of that trade still pains me). Now I think I was crazy to ever think that. He would really complete the Leafs' forwards if you could swap him and Kerfoot.

Not sure if it was the right move. Leafs are less edgier now. But the package Leaf got in return wasn't great

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
For the Wings one that comes to mind involving active players is Holland trading back in the draft with Arizona to dump Datsyuk's cap hit.

Arizona takes Chychrun and the Wings take Cholowski and Hronek.

Holland uses some of that cap space to sign Frans Nielsen to a 6 year $5.25 million deal and Helm to a 5 year $3.85 million deal.

So it wasn't trading away a player so much as trading away the opportunity to draft a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad