List active players your team regrets trading away

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
:canes

Calvin de Haan. Reliable top 4 guy but unfortunately he struggled to remain healthy here which likely resulted in his trade to Chicago.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
McDonaugh lol
Not only that, but we got Scott Gomez for him.
Scott. Gomez.

Runner-up would be Sergatchev but at least Drouin is kicking asses this year and his contract isn't one of the worst of all-time

Keeping Dubnyk as a back-up would have save us a lot of time

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Girard and Fiala. Jones I wish we had back but I'm not sure we have any of the success we had without Johansen (despite his current performance) so I don't mind it too much. If expansion draft losses count I wish we had protected Neal instead of Jarnkrok. I'm glad we didn't sign Neal to a long term deal, but he could've been just enough in the 17-18 season to get us over the hump.

Reactions: dionisus1122

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I honestly can't think of one for NJ. All of the guys that I regret leaving were ones that walked as UFA. Adam Larsson and Adam Henrique are really the only players of consequence we've traded in the past +10 years that weren't rentals. I like both of the players but don't regret either of those deals at all.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Honestly, for the Blues, within the past 5 years or so, I’d say Reaves over Oshie.

Oshie had to be traded and since Armstrong was determined to get something, the value was never going to be close and I don’t think Oshie would’ve matured if he had stayed in STL.

Reason I say Reaves is because his skill set is pretty unique and the Blues haven’t and likely won’t find someone with the same style and effectiveness for a while. Sundqvist has turned out great and TBD on Kostin, but Reaves’ style is missed.
All-Time from the Blues? Just off the top of my head:

Doug Gilmour
Joe Mullen
Rod Brind'Amour
Cliff Ronning
Adam Oates [though to be fair he talked his way out]
Jeff Brown [part of a trade to get back Craig Janney who went to VAN in an arbitration award for Petr Nedved after the Canucks asked for Brendan Shanahan. Mitigated a bit since we did get Al MacInnis shortly after from Calgary]

I might even throw Ian Laperriere in there, though it could be argued that either he needed to go somewhere else to get his act together or he needed a head coach that wasn't Mike Keenan.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
For Calgary, in the last 10 years the only guy that comes to mind is Jay Bouwmeester.

Not that it was a ‘man we could use him.’ It was more of a ‘why didn’t we get so much more for him, he had an extra year left.’

Outside of that, nothing of consequence really. Maybe Kulak? But we’d have no room for him anyway.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
E. Lindholm playing at his current level would have been nice on the Canes and another RH shot too. But we got Dougie out of the deal so not going to complain and we now have Necas and Trochek as right handed beasts now as well.

Glad Faulk is doing well in STL this year after a down year last season. He was going to be too expensive for us to keep but if we don't re-sign Dougie then we will have gone from super elite RHD depth to just Brett Pesce in a couple of seasons.

Reactions: FractionTwo

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
E. Lindholm playing at his current level would have been nice on the Canes and another RH shot too. But we got Dougie out of the deal so not going to complain and we now have Necas and Trochek as right handed beasts now as well.

Glad Faulk is doing well in STL this year after a down year last season. He was going to be too expensive for us to keep but if we don't re-sign Dougie then we will have gone from super elite RHD depth to just Brett Pesce in a couple of seasons.
they also got bokk in that trade, who i think is a really nice steal.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
they also got bokk in that trade, who i think is a really nice steal.

Yup. Definitely. Not complaining because the returns on both trades are working out well for CAR. Even having Edmundson last year was helpful to fill the injury holes and we flipped his rights to MTL for a 5th. Gotta give to get but can't deny that sometimes a player that's left the team could still have been a useful piece moving forward.

Eetu Luostarinen and Janne Kuokkanen are two young players whoa re doing well with their new teams as well. But we don't get Trochek without giving up Luo and we needed Vatanen last year for the playoffs because with all of our injuries we had no RHD.

I guess the BIG regret would be Adam Fox, but he wanted to play in NYR and we got 2 x 2nds for him which we've converted into a some really good prospects so at least there's that. But yeah, having Adam Fox on the right side of our D for the next decade or so would have been pretty nice.

Reactions: FractionTwo

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
I honestly can't think of one for NJ. All of the guys that I regret leaving were ones that walked as UFA. Adam Larsson and Adam Henrique are really the only players of consequence we've traded in the past +10 years that weren't rentals. I like both of the players but don't regret either of those deals at all.

Same here, can't think of one. On top of what you've mentioned, there's also Coleman but this trade simply had to be done.

FractionTwo

Mar 3, 2021
Yup. Definitely. Not complaining because the returns on both trades are working out well for CAR. Even having Edmundson last year was helpful to fill the injury holes and we flipped his rights to MTL for a 5th. Gotta give to get but can't deny that sometimes a player that's left the team could still have been a useful piece moving forward.

Eetu Luostarinen and Janne Kuokkanen are two young players whoa re doing well with their new teams as well. But we don't get Trochek without giving up Luo and we needed Vatanen last year for the playoffs because with all of our injuries we had no RHD.

I guess the BIG regret would be Adam Fox, but he wanted to play in NYR and we got 2 x 2nds for him which we've converted into a some really good prospects so at least there's that. But yeah, having Adam Fox on the right side of our D for the next decade or so would have been pretty nice.
Adam fox only wanted to play for the >rags because hometown. pampered primadona lol

Reactions: Cane mutiny

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Panarin
Teravaninen
Danault
Kempny

...those are really the only ones that come to mind.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
McDonagh. Our d-corps would look pretty sweet right now if we still had him. McD + JT Miller for Namestnikov, Howden, and Hajek + 2 picks is a bad trade. Only hope is that Nils Lundkvist is the real deal will make it sting less but still bad.

Reactions: ETTER DE

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
why did they do that again??

It was so Vegas would take Haula, whose contract was expiring and likely wasn't going to be re-signed, instead of Staal, Dumba or Scandella. If I remember correctly, Fletcher made a few prospects available for the trade and Vegas chose Tuch. I don't know if there would have been a better way to get Vegas to take one of Coyle, Nino or Zucker without giving up Tuch, or if they would have just wanted to take Dumba. Fletcher could have also just protected all four defensemen and let them take one of the young forwards or Scandella.

All I know is Minnesota could really use Tuch these days.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad