Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff hired as head coach of NJD

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
I’d take Ulf or Gord Murphy. I don’t know who else to look at. If Montgomery has put his issues behind him and wants a stepping stone back into the NHL I could see us revisiting him.
Ulf is part of Seattle's coaching staff, I doubt he leaves that job to come here.

Reactions: LokiDog

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Rangers can go in a lot of directions with this, and it should be exciting to see the solution.
-Promote Knoblouch
-Promote Gord Murphy
-Name Greg Brown Ruff's replacement
-Have Quinn pluck the best college coach for his staff

I expect it will be
Murphy(continuously served as NHL AC from '02 until this season) or
Brown (6 years as Q's associate HC at BU before these 2 seasons).

If its KK, then one of these 2 takes over Pack, but i expect KK stays as Pack HC for season 2.
Gorton and Drury are fairly conservative and supportive of guys on their staffs.

I would welcome Ulf back, i doubt that happens.
NYC/NHL/NYR is not the right role for Monty's return to coaching.

If its Brown or Murphy, i could see their backfill being a rising college or junior coach

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I wouldn't expect any replacement for the play-in round assuming that ruff is announced before we play....brown will go behind the bench. hartford staff will probably be around to help. replacement will come for next season...

and I think that it will either be brown or an outside guy...I don't see them promoting gord murphy from hartford for the simple reason that he was hired for a reason to help develop the young dmen in hartford and that remains a critical job.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Hoping Murphy isn’t permanent

Evidently either Quinn or Gorton don’t trust Brown to coach the D by himself

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Why?

Serious question, he has next to zero track record.

Umm, would hardly say next to zero track record...close to 4 years coaching (NJD + MIN combined); learned from one of the greatest in Larry Robinson; one of the best D of all time. Even brought up by our beat back in 2018 when looking for an AV replacement.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Umm, would hardly say next to zero track record...close to 4 years coaching (NJD + MIN combined); learned from one of the greatest in Larry Robinson; one of the best D of all time. Even brought up by our beat back in 2018 when looking for an AV replacement.

I don't know that learning from a great is necessarily a big endorsement. Who exactly did he have a hand in developing? How did the defense of those teams perform under his eye? Because I don't think he had a positive impact at either of his coaching locations, I know the Devils sucked moose balls while he was there.

He also ditched his last position to spend time with family. That doesn't really strike me as a sign of a guy who really wants to deal with the travel/lifestyle. Our beat dropped Brian Leetch and Mark Messier's names too, neither would have been smart hires.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Loving that Ruff is gone. I know a lot of us killed him, for good reason. But I'm sure he had more value with the Rangers than we know given his experience.

However - the defense was stale and they needed a change, like last training camp. Nice that there will be a new D coach brought in and one that Quinn can approve of.

I always thought Ruff was a decent head coach but I wouldn't be thrilled if I was a Devils fan right now. Im happy that they took him off our hands.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Ruff is getting a lot of mileage out of a couple very good seasons with Buffalo and Dallas. He's a .500 coach when you don't put OT losses in a special category. And he showed me nothing as an assistant coach here.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm not a Ruff fan by any means (especially not as a head coach - lol Jersey), but I'm surprised at how much celebration there is here.

Was our assistant coach; who answered to one of the most hands on coaches we've had in recent memory, and who wasn't even the only AC looking after the defense, really the most responsible guy for their performance?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm not a Ruff fan by any means (especially not as a head coach - lol Jersey), but I'm surprised at how much celebration there is here.

Was our assistant coach; who answered to one of the most hands on coaches we've had in recent memory, and who wasn't even the only AC looking after the defense, really the most responsible guy for their performance?

his track record prior to coming here suggests that he was a big part of the issue.

he isn’t the only part (forwards, inexperience, Staal) but him taking the NJ job is definitely addition by subtraction.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad