Confirmed with Link: Lindy Ruff hired as head coach of NJD

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Call me crazy but Ruff should not be behind the bench in any capacity for the Rangers this season now that it's set in stone he will be coaching another team (regardless of rivalry).
I'm not going to call you crazy or resort to name calling in any way, but I don't see it as an issue. It feels weird, but it happens in other sports. Luke Walton finished the playoffs with Golden State even though he had accepted an offer to be the Lakers' head coach. Same with Alex Cora finishing up as bench coach with the Astros after being fired as Red Sox manager.

Reactions: romba

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Ruff probably did not want to risk his life in the playoffs with the COVID-19 so he started searching actively for a way out. When was Ruff's contract set to expire. It would be insane if Rangers want to keep Ruff for the playoffs and not replace him.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I'm not going to call you crazy or resort to name calling in any way, but I don't see it as an issue. It feels weird, but it happens in other sports. Luke Walton finished the playoffs with Golden State even though he had accepted an offer to be the Lakers' head coach. Same with Alex Cora finishing up as bench coach with the Astros after being fired as Red Sox manager.

I see big issues.

1. he would not care
2. he does not need to know all the ins and outs, system going forward, strengths, weaknesses, injuries, etc.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
TBH, the writing was on the wall when Quinn took over as head coach with Lindy. All the best to him, though. Well respected and has been a "mainstay" coach for a while. The defensive issues weren't all his fault, but he didn't necessarily help with them either.

I think some possible candidates for the next defensive coach (if it won't be Greg Brown) are Laviolette (highly doubt it), Nasreddine or Jim Montgomery (if his woes are fixed).

Honestly, I could see NYR dipping their toe again in the NCAA since the league has postponed fall sports. Winter sports could have a push back, too.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
NJ is going to give up all the goals.

his Dallas teams were abysmal defensively.

On the bright side we kind of already do. Our best LD was arguably something called a Dakota Mermis, which I could have easily believed was a dermatological fish disease this time last year.

On the brighter side, at the very least it's a more entertaining way to lose than we were doing with hynes. Its kind of like being told by the doctors that I have to have three toes amputated, and then having the docs say, "hey, good news, we only have to cut off two". I mean sure, I guess that's better?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
TBH, the writing was on the wall when Quinn took over as head coach with Lindy. All the best to him, though. Well respected and has been a "mainstay" coach for a while. The defensive issues weren't all his fault, but he didn't necessarily help with them either.

I think some possible candidates for the next defensive coach (if it won't be Greg Brown) are Laviolette (highly doubt it), Nasreddine or Jim Montgomery (if his woes are fixed).

Honestly, I could see NYR dipping their toe again in the NCAA since the league has postponed fall sports. Winter sports could have a push back, too.

Maybe Dan Girardi? Would love Paul Maclean. Laviolette would not agree to anything below head coaching at this stage. Very likely they bring back Ulf Samuelsson, we did go to Cup Finals with him. Beukeboom might be a better fit than he was with AV.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Was Ruff's contract up after this season? if not, then we should get some draft pick thrown our way.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
It's mind boggling to me that he gets to jump right into another head coaching job. The NHL old boys' club continues. I would not be happy if I were a Devils fan. I really hope they at least offered the job to Gallant and he turned it down.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Maybe Dan Girardi? Would love Paul Maclean. Laviolette would not agree to anything below head coaching at this stage. Very likely they bring back Ulf Samuelsson, we did go to Cup Finals with him. Beukeboom might be a better fit than he was with AV.

Ulf has a contract with Charlotte of the AHL as the HC and the Beukeboom experiment lasted less than a year.

I wouldn't mind bringing Ulf back, though....

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Say it with me:

vwMin.gif

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Call me crazy but Ruff should not be behind the bench in any capacity for the Rangers this season now that it's set in stone he will be coaching another team (regardless of rivalry).
Yeah. I don’t see why the HWP coach can’t fill in. As I’ve said, I like Ruff well enough. But I don’t want the Devils HC behind our bench in the playoffs. Maybe if they were just playing out the string at the end of a regular year where the playoffs were off the table. But not this year.

Reactions: IamNotADancer

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Why is Scott Stevens even being mentioned here? He hasn't coached in years and its not like its realistic or he has an amazing track record or something.

He also comes with a track record of coaching some of the worst defensive teams of our time so yeah, bring on the new Devils.

Blackwood is straight up going to quit.
Even though youre being a bit exaggerative

Hes gotten the most out of the offensive potential of guys hes coached - even some Rangers. Fox being one, Klingberg, Seguin, Benn, Vanek, Pominville, etc..

Thats exactly what the Devils need is their offensive potential realized a bit. Not a big deal if our GA/60 and xGA/60 goes up .20 points from last year (the Rangers’ was .20 higher than NJs this year)

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Yeah, it's a little bizarre. I'd tell him to pack his stuff and thanks. It's not like it's going to affect the D.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
On the bright side we kind of already do. Our best LD was arguably something called a Dakota Mermis, which I could have easily believed was a dermatological fish disease this time last year.

On the brighter side, at the very least it's a more entertaining way to lose than we were doing with hynes. Its kind of like being told by the doctors that I have to have three toes amputated, and then having the docs say, "hey, good news, we only have to cut off two". I mean sure, I guess that's better?

lmaoooo

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’d take Ulf or Gord Murphy. I don’t know who else to look at. If Montgomery has put his issues behind him and wants a stepping stone back into the NHL I could see us revisiting him.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The Devils have been looking for a coach since they fired Hynes in December. They probably asked the Rangers for permission to talk to Ruff some time after the freeze. First, I don't think the Rangers would have turned down the Devils' request even under normal circumstances, given Ruff is a respected, veteran coach who obviously wanted to get back to being top dog. Second, given that no one really knew if the season would resume, it would have been really unfortunate if the Rangers declined to let Ruff talk to the Devils until the season was over, only for the Devils to hire someone else and then for the league to cancel the remainder of the season.

Whether Ruff finishes it out, I don't know. I can see why the Rangers would want to keep him on with the playoffs going on and all, but if they have someone they think could step in (or if they think it would be manageable without another AC stepping in), they may feel it's better to just let him out of his contract. It's tough to expect a guy who has accepted a new job to be fully focused on the matter at hand when he has one foot out the door.
Yeah only Mike Keenan can pull that off lol

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The most logical replacement is Greg Brown. He's already been on Quinn's coaching staff for 2 years, and we already know he has a successful history of helping develop defensemen from his time at BC and with the USA WJC teams.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Rangers can go in a lot of directions with this, and it should be exciting to see the solution.
-Promote Knoblouch
-Promote Gord Murphy
-Name Greg Brown Ruff's replacement
-Have Quinn pluck the best college coach for his staff

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad